Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Monster World IV Returns!

by Raging Justice Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:24 pm

I don't know if there's been much talk of this here, so I thought I'd post this

They made a remake of the game and recently released it. Interesting note, the original version of Monster World IV is included. Though if you want it physical, the Switch version has it on the cartridge. The PS4 version just gives you a download code. If you're a trophy guy though, both the original and the remake on PS4 have trophy lists, both with platinums.

https://wonderboy.inin.games/

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbKxowWY5IE

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Monster World IV Returns!

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Got it yesterday playa! I'm super stoked.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:13 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Got it yesterday playa! I'm super stoked.

Mine came in last week, and it’s taunting me. Once I finish up Alwa’s Legacy (and a few games for TR), I’ll probably jump into it. I need to remain a Wonder Boy/Monster World completionist. (It’s also interesting to me how many games we lump into the “metroidvania” genre actually have more in common with Wonder Boy/Monster World games, and I’m glad these great games are finally getting the recognition they deserve.)
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

by Raging Justice Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:46 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:

Mine came in last week, and it’s taunting me. Once I finish up Alwa’s Legacy (and a few games for TR), I’ll probably jump into it. I need to remain a Wonder Boy/Monster World completionist. (It’s also interesting to me how many games we lump into the “metroidvania” genre actually have more in common with Wonder Boy/Monster World games, and I’m glad these great games are finally getting the recognition they deserve.)

I don't really like the term metroidvania personally, but everybody uses it now.

Funny you mention TR, which I'm assuming means Together Retro. I checked ebay today for copies of the original Monster World IV out of curiosity, and I saw copies in the triple digits. I think this game might actually count for June's Together Retro.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Raging Justice wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:

I don't really like the term metroidvania personally, but everybody uses it now.

Funny you mention TR, which I'm assuming means Together Retro. I checked ebay today for copies of the original Monster World IV out of curiosity, and I saw copies in the triple digits. I think this game might actually count for June's Together Retro.

I don’t like the term either, but everyone knows what it means. It’s also shorter than “free-scrolling 2D action platformer with light RPG elements”. :lol:

Also, Monster World IV 100% counts for this month’s TR!
Return to Platformers