Oh No! I Got Another Motherboard (Slot 1)

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Oh No! I Got Another Motherboard (Slot 1)

Post by Anapan »

That's a sweet case!
So I dug out all the old cards - I didn't even know I had a Voodoo 2 card :lol: . Any of the cards listed here are yours if you want them. I have an excessive amount of drives here as well - I think I have a jaz drive somewhere still even.

AGP Graphics cards - I have the multi-out and capture-in cables.
Power Color ATI RADEON 7500 64MB DDR VGA DVI S-Video
BFG Tech GeForce 6200 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X VGA DVI S-Video
MSI rx9250-t128 ATI Radeon 9250 128 MB DDR AGP 4x/8x VGA S-Video
PowerColor Radeon 7000 AGP 4X 64MB DDR VGA Composite
ATI Rage Theater Radeon 7200 32M with BT8X8 tuner-capture DVI, multi in, Multi out
Sapphire Radeon 9600 256MB AGP8X VGA DVI TV multi-out
ATI Radeon 9550 XL 256MB AGP8x VGA DVI AV multi I/O

ISA Audio
Creative Sound Blaster 16 WavEffects (CT4170)
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Vibra 16S (CT2800)
Sound Blaster 16 with DSP 4.05 (CT1740)

PCI Audio
Aopen Cobra AW-850
Aureal Vortex 2 (AU8820B2)
Crystal CS4281-CM EP
Forte Media FM801-AU
Creative Labs X-Fi Fatal1ty (SB0460)
Hercules Gamesurround Muse Lt (MPB-000153 / CMI8738)
Creative CT5803, CT4750, CT4810
Creative Sound Blaster Live! (SB0410)
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy (SB1394 / SB0090)
Dynex 7.1 Sound Card DX-SC7.1 (CMI8768)

Various ISA
Trident TVGA9000i-3 VGA
unknown CGA(?) mouse, gameport, light pen card
Adaptec AHA 1510/20/22B Single ISA SCSI Controller
parallel, network, IDE

Various PCI
Modem
USB2, USB2&Firewire, USB3
PCI to PCMCIA Adapter Card P2CB485-A03 - box of PCMCIA, PC Card and Cardbus available
ATI TV Wonder capture card
Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446BV-HC-A 2MB VGA
IDE
Wireless G Wifi
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150
SCSI
Creative 3DBlaster 3Dfx Voodoo 2 8GB(?) (CT6670)

PCI Network
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

That's great, Anapan! I might be interested in some of those. I'll PM you later.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Are you going to make your OS swappable with a CF or SD to IDE adapter to fill one of the front drive bays?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Whoa, crazy! Someone just posted a few days ago on Reddit the exact case that I bought! What are the chances?

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows98/comm ... from_this/

Anapan wrote:Are you going to make your OS swappable with a CF or SD to IDE adapter to fill one of the front drive bays?

No, I don't think so for this build. I am planning to do CF or SD to IDE on the Socket 7 build, though.

BTW, I think I definitely want a few of the cards you posted above. Still researching some things. I have too many open projects right now!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The case was delivered a few days ago, I just haven't had a chance to update this thread. The case looks even better in person than it does in the photos. I absolutely love it, it's perfect. And it helps that it's in near-mint condition. The seller packed it well, I'm always worried about something like this getting damaged in shipping. Maybe I'm still traumatized by how an eBay seller shipped my Xbox 360 (luckily ever thing was OK, even the loose disc LOL).

The case comes with a Gigabyte case badge, which is in great condition and I rather like the way it looks too. But there will be no Gigabyte parts inside, so it sort of doesn't make sense to keep it on there. Anyone have any suggestions for a case badge? I found InGen and Cyberdyne System case badges on eBay, and I sort of want both! That Pentium 4 sticker will have to go, too. I already have a PIII sticker. And I might have a Windows 98 sticker too. So I put a sticker back on that door? I was thinking below the case badge but above that grill, justified left or right.

The motherfucking motherboard came in the mail today! It actually arrived pretty fast, considering it was shipping from Greece.

So the motherboard's manual states that if you're using a CPU with a 133 MHz bus speed than only PC133 RAM is supported. Well, as it turns out, I don't have any PC133 RAM in my big pile of SDRAM. So I initially installed a Slot 1 Pentium II with a slower bus speed, but I went ahead and tested the Pentium III anyway (1 Ghz clock, 133 MHz bus). I was worried something was wrong because there was crazy beep codes and a red text error message on the POST screen, something about a hardware problem. But as it turns out, you just have to set some CPU settings in the BIOS and then all is good. Which is kind of weird, because this motherboard has an auto configure CPU setting, but you still have to tweak the BIOS after installing a new CPU. Oh well, at least it works! The BIOS has automatic settings for older CPUs, but for mine I had to manually set the clock and multiplier. Never had to do that before.

I have PC100 RAM in there now and it's working fine with the Pentium III. But I'm going to swap in some PC133 anyway. There's always a debate with how much RAM you should put in a Windows 98 machine. I ended up ordering 2x 256 MB sticks. I've read that you want RAM sticks with the memory chips on both sides of the PCB. Not sure if that's BS or not, but that's what I got.

One neat thing about this mobo is that it has 4 LED status lights. All green is all good, but they can also turn red. You can look up in the manual what the code is. It's definitely a nice feature to have! The mobo I bought in 2009 had a 2 digit POST code screen on board for the same purpose. It also had push button power and reset buttons on the motherboard. I swear, motherboard seemed to have peaked in features for the DIYer, and now they're cutting costs by removing these useful features.

I have a few AGP graphics cards lying around, but I just realized that I have a GeForce 2 MX...

Some years back, I was leaving for work one day and spotted an early 2000's Dell Dimension on the side of the road. I slammed on my brakes and picked it up. The previous owner didn't remove any parts, not even the hard drive. I kind of remember confirming that it boots up when I first got it home, but I never really touched it since then. So today I cracked it open because I was curious what graphics card it had, and it turned out to be the GeForce 2 MX. Googling, it seems the MX is a cost-cut variant but still an OK card. It's definitely age appropriate for this build! At last to start with, I'm not sure what I'll ultimately keep in here.

The main GPU chip has no heatsink on it, and it appears to have come from the factory that way. I put my finger on it while it was running and it gets CRAZY hot! Too hot to hold your finger on it without getting burned. I suppose that has to be OK, since it came from the factory without a heatsink. But the PCB does have mounting holes for a heatsink, they're tinned though so that's one reason I suspect it never had one. But since it gets so crazy hot, I'm thinking I might add a heatsink, maybe even with a fan. I don't think I'll end up using this card long term, but I just don't like how hot that chip gets. And heatsinks are cheap anyway.

Speaking of that side of the road Dell... Since I had it opened I decided to pull the HDD out of it to use with this Slot 1 board. It's a WD 80 GB drive, dated 2003 IIRC. I'm not sure if it's original to the Dell that it came out of, but it seems to be in great shape. I haven't read the SMART data, I'm always curious of the power on hours for used drives. But I ran a quick test with Sea Tools and it passed, and it didn't throw any SMART errors. I installed Windows 98 SE on it so I can further test the board.

Windows 98 SE installed without a hitch. I booted to the desktop and installed the nVidia drivers for that card, everything seemed to working fine up to this point, so now it's time for a sound card...

A Sound Blaster Audigy 2. Currently I only have two PCI sound cards, the other being a much newer Audigy that doesn't have 9x drivers. So I have the Audigy 2 in there for now, but I don't know what I'll ultimately have in there. I feel like a sound card for Windows 98 is always a tricky choice. Some people try and get better compatibility for older DOS games along with newer Win98 games, in which case it sounds like a Sound Blaster Live is the best choice. I actually have two SB Live cards, but they're both Dell variants that are said to be lesser quality and also a PITA to install drivers for. Alternately, I've heard of people installing a PCI sounds card in Windows, and an ISA sound card for DOS. I feel like that would be even trickier to set up. But since I'm setting up the Socket 7 as a dedicated DOS machine, I may not even worry about DOS compatibility for this Slot 1 build.

Anyway, here are the current specs of the Slot 1 build...

Motherboard: MSI MS-6199VA
CPU: Intel Pentium III 1 Ghz
RAM: 512 MB PC100 SD RAM
HDD: 80 GB Western Digital
GPU: nVidia GeFroce 2 MX
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Case: Athena Power CA-3688 / V-Tech ATX3688
PSU: To Be Determined
Drives: To Be Determined

So after getting 98 installed and setting up the drivers for the video and sound card, naturally I had to install a few games and make sure everything works as it should. I installed Sega Rally Championship. Man, this game looks and plays great. Hopefully if I have time tomorrow I can get it installed in the case and maybe play around with it some more!

One other thing now is if I'm focusing only on Windows 9x gaming on this machine, and not really worrying about DOS, then I don't really need a 5.25" FDD in there. But this case is missing two 5.25" bay drive covers. So I guess I can either fill the second bay with the 5.25" FDD or another optical drive. I'm undecided. But to be period correct, if I was building this PC in 1999/2000, I don't think I would be putting a 5.25" FDD in there. But I can definitely remember thinking how cool it would be to have multiple optical drives. So maybe that's what I should do.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

This is exciting.
I actually have a bunch of RAM too - I would've hot-shot what you needed, tho I understand the need for instant gratification. My friend (who probably a lot of those cards came from) has a giant 8 pound tacklebox full of ram.
I think my PIII computer is running 320MB. I remember some mobo chipsets have trouble with larger sizes, but you can run any amount your mother board can handle in Windows 98.
That is a sweet motherboard! I haven't seen one with indicator LEDS before.
Case badges - This Guy on ebay is famous for making the best replicas. The last line on his ebay about page is "Doom." I think he does custom ones if you request.
Rule-of-thumb! If you can't keep your thumb there for 5 seconds, you have a heat dissipation problem, unless you won't use it for long periods of time..
I have some drive-bay covers, and I think I have some other 5.25 things. Can't say more until I dig deeper into the relic cupboard.
The cat can crawl in there now, and wants to see the end.
I'll dig out the drives and bay covers when I get back from work. I probably have some millennium-era things that would better suit your case.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So I decided to put the motherboard in the case today. Mostly just to protect it, and because the parts will take up less room if installed in the case. It's kind of temporary until I decided on final parts, but at least I can further test the system in the meantime.

On the inside of the left panel are some stickers. I imagine from what's there that this must have been a custom built PC that someone ordered. Looks like the former system in this case was a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4 with DDR memory on a pretty sweet looking Gigabyte motherboard (that explains the Gigabyte case badge). I would have been totally envious of whoever had this PC. I like that sticker that shows the layout of the motherboard, I never got anything like that with any (new) motherboards I've bought in the past. Hmm, I have a thermal printer and 4x6" labels. I could easily get that from a motherboard's manual and make my own sticker like that one. I might do that for other computers, I think it's pretty handy. This one though, I'll keep those stickers as-is.

So I finally pulled out that FDD to see what it is. NEC, good. I was hoping for a good brand name instead of a no-name brand cheap drive. I feel like late model no-name FDD are more likely to have a catestrophic failure than name brand or older drives.

I pulled out my old CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive that I was planning on using for this. Yuck! What the hell is all over it? I was able to clean that gunk off, and now it looks fine. This was the first CD burner I ever purchased for my own computer (a clunky old Compaq Deskpro - a Pentium II machine that I ran XP on LOL). At the time, that was all the rage, being able to burn your own music CDs. I made a shit ton of mixed CDs in high school, this drive definitely saw some use! So I wanted to use it in this system partially for that reason, because I have history with it. But looking at it now, it has a sort of weird curve to it. I can't believe I never noticed that before (or maybe I did and just forgot). Also, the drive is slow to eject and close and sounds awful. To be honest, it might have always been like that. It has no brand name as far as I can tell. Even on the PC it's only listed a Combo drive LOL. I was having a little trouble with it, sometimes after putting a disc in it wouldn't detect it. But then after ejecting it and closing the drive again it would detect the disc. I don't know if this is the drive or OS, I'll have to fiddle more with it. So I'm not sure if I wanna keep this drive in here or not.

I do currently have another spare beige drive, but it's a DVD-RW drive. That seems kind of weird for this era of PC, so I don't think I want to use it. Also, it's yellowed a bit so I'd have to Retro Brite it.

I think I definitely want to have two optical drives in here. One because the case is missing two 5.25" bay covers, so I sorta need two drives anyway. But two, having two optical drives during this era always seemed awesome. The Compaq Deskpro I mentioned above, I kept the standard CD-ROM drive in there along with the CD-RW drive. It's useful having two drives sometimes. Some games require you to have the disc in the drive in order to play them, so you can dedicate one drive to a game while having one drive free for other stuff. Like maybe audio CDs.

I definitely want to have a CD-RW drive in there, but I also want a standard CD-ROM drive. As if, the computer came with a CD-ROM drive in the top slot then I later added a burner in the second slot. That seems like the natural progression many people took in this day. For the standard CD-ROM drive, I want something pretty particular. I want it to have a stop/eject button all the way to the right, with a track skip button to the left of it. Then I want it to have a headphones jack with a volume wheel on the left side. And it might sound stupid, but the shape of the buttons and the shape and location of the status LED matter as well. There's just a specific look that really reminds me of mid to late 90's computers, and that's what I want.

So I totally forgot I had this Enermax PSU that's kind of perfect for this build. I purchased this new, maybe in the mid to late 00's. IIRC, this was for a PC that I built for my parents. Since they just do web/email, it saw light use. And I'm pretty sure that PC wasn't in service for too many years (it was a sort of bridge PC from old parts to get them by). All modern PSUs seem to be black, and I really wanted an unpainted PSU for this build. This Enermax PSU has a 20+4 main ATX connector, and the 4--pin CPU connector of course. But it only has one branch with SATA connectors, and it has plenty of 4-pin Molex and Berg connectors. It was right before SATA really took off. So it's pretty much perfect for this build! It's 300w, which I think should be plenty for this. Also, I have a soft spot for Enermax PSUs. After learning the hard way the cheap PSUs are not worth bothering with, Enermax was the first really good PSU I got for my first custom PC. And when I built my i7 PC in 2009, I went with an Enermax that powered that computer daily until 2019!

Pop quiz, hot shot: What is this connector for? You only saw these on PSU from this time, in fact I'm surprised it was on a PSU this late. It's a 3-pin fan connector, but it's missing the 12v line. So it has ground and the sense line. It's meant to plug into a fan header on your motherboard, so you can read the PSU fan like you would a case fan.

If you look at the top edge of the mobo in the above pic, you can see where it says DIP WAY. Just to the left of that is a fan header that's labeled PS FAN (and you can see down to the right CPU FAN). So right now I have the PSU plugged into that, but I don't have any software to read it. I do have a program I used to use back in the day on XP with my first custom build, I think it was called SensorView. I liked it enough that I actually purchased it, and I still have the key and install exe for it. I wonder if it works on Win98. It very neatly displays fan speeds, temps and voltages. Yes, I know I can get an older version of SpeedFan that works on 98. But SensorView (or whatever it was called) looks a lot nicer. Hopefully I still have it, I'll post screenshots of it if I can.

Here's just a shot getting the motherboard laid in there. I had already installed the drives. You can see the FDD cable I'm using. I have no clue where I got it from, probably one of those things you got with a mess of other crap. In fact, I might have got it from dsh. IIRC, he donated a random assortment of junk to the Charity Auction one year. Anyway, I thought it looks appropriate for this build. You use to see funky PATA and FDD cables around that time.

This Pentium III has a weird heatsink that came with it. It's a lot taller than the card itself, and it doesn't have a fan. When I had the motherboard running outside of a case, while gaming I touched the heatsink and it felt pretty hot at one point. But that was out of a case with no airflow. Even though it's now closed inside a case, the airflow from the fan(s) will help keep it cool. I'll check it again to be sure. I didn't purchase this CPU new, so you can never rule out the possibility of some bonehead swapping HSF not knowing that they're designed for the specific model they come with.

I have two new old stock 80 conductor PATA cables lying around. Actually, I think these came with motherboard that I purchased but never used. I love being able to use NOS stuff on a vintage build like this.

Here's the PC mostly assembled. You can see that I folded and zip tied the PATA cables. I never use to do that back in the day, I just had a rats nest of cables like everyone else did. And I know you can purchase PATA cables that are like the FDD cable I have in there. But folding always works. Aside from zip tying the SATA connectors from the PSU, I didn't really do anything with cable management. That's only because I'm not done in there, I'll still be swapping parts until I decide on a few things, so I didn't wanna waste the time with cable management now. I plan to get everything as neat as possible though, once the parts are final.

These are the Dupont connectors for the two front USB ports. USB 2.0 has a standard connector now, a 9-pin keyed connector. But back then it was common to see each signal on it's own individual connector like that. I guess so it could support older PCs that might have pins for USB 1.1, but no USB 2.0 header? The case for the PC I built in high school was like this, so I wasn't surprised. This mobo has two rear USB 1.1 ports, and no internal headers on board. But I have a plan for this, I'll post about it when I get around to enacting it.

Ahhhh! Too many project going on at once. :lol:

Just a shot of the computer as it looks right now. The front bezel is slightly yellowed, but not very noticeable depending on the light. When compared to the side panels, it looks darker but not distinctly yellow. In the above picture, you can tell it's yellowed. But in person, it's not too bad.

I absolutely love this case. I really did find my perfect case for this build. I got lucky that I found that auction not long after it was posted. Otherwise I bet it would have been snatched up quickly!

One thing I have to look into is the HDD activity light. It's on solid. Even when the computer is idle. Not sure what that's all about.

Anapan wrote:I actually have a bunch of RAM too - I would've hot-shot what you needed, tho I understand the need for instant gratification. My friend (who probably a lot of those cards came from) has a giant 8 pound tacklebox full of ram.
I think my PIII computer is running 320MB. I remember some mobo chipsets have trouble with larger sizes, but you can run any amount your mother board can handle in Windows 98.

I appreciate it, but no worries! The PC100 seems to be working fine for the time being. The manual was full of shit LOL. I Googled it and read a few forum threads regarding how much RAM you want in a Win98 gaming PC. Some people say 256 MB, some say 512, some say split the difference and go 384 MB. From watching Phils Computer Lab, he's shown that some games perform better with 512 installed, so I'm going with 512 for now.

Anapan wrote:That is a sweet motherboard! I haven't seen one with indicator LEDS before.

Yes! This really seems like a nice system builder's motherboard. Whoever purchased this back in the day must have been thrilled with it. I know I would have been. That's why it really seems like motherboards have taken a step back in this department. When I build a PC with a Ryzen CPU in 2019, I was kind of disappointed by the lack of style motherboards seem to have now. They're all black with RGB lights, all of them. Back in the late 90's though, or even 2000-2010, motherboards all had their own style. It wasn't enough to pick a board based on features, you also chose one on its looks. Like the color of the PCB. Or something like LED status codes. I miss spunk like this.

Anapan wrote:Case badges - This Guy on ebay is famous for making the best replicas. The last line on his ebay about page is "Doom." I think he does custom ones if you request.

That's the guy that has the InGen and Cyberdyne badges I mentioned! Well, I purchased those two badges, I just couldn't resist. Not sure if I'll put either of them on this case, but I'll find something for them if I don't.

Anapan wrote:Rule-of-thumb! If you can't keep your thumb there for 5 seconds, you have a heat dissipation problem, unless you won't use it for long periods of time..

I ended up taking it out. I put a GeForce FX 5200 in there for now. Released in 2003, it could have been an upgrade for this system if it was built in 99/00. But I was reading up that with a 5200 or 5500, that runs DirectX 9, I can use nglide for glide games. So since I had the 5200 on hand, I was thinking about seeing what that's all about.

That chip definitely gets way too hot though. What's weird is that the PCB has the two mounting holes for a heatsink, so I'm not sure why one wasn't installed. I'm gonna leave it be for now, but if I ever use this card again I'm definitely going to get something for it. I know I can get cheap little heatsinks with adhesive thermal pads. But I wonder if those mounting holes in the PCB are a standard size, it would be neat if I could get a heatsink that fits them that mounting pattern.

Anapan wrote:I have some drive-bay covers, and I think I have some other 5.25 things. Can't say more until I dig deeper into the relic cupboard.
The cat can crawl in there now, and wants to see the end.
I'll dig out the drives and bay covers when I get back from work. I probably have some millennium-era things that would better suit your case.

Thanks, but no rush!
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I literally LOL'd at the Michael Myers dvd drive. :lol:
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I know, right?! :lol:

I have no clue what that could be. In person, I even thought it was dried blood for a second, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. And I'm not sure how something even spilled on it, I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that when I packed it away. Unless Michael Myers used it as a weapon at some point.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

This thread didn't get many replies (besides myself) but has nearly 2,000 views. Without a like system, I can only assume it's received generally well.

Now that the system is in a case and up and running, I've been game hopping to test it out a bit. I surely didn't forget how frustrating old computers can be, compared to how things just seem to magically work with modern computers. So I've already uncovered a few annoyances.

I started with that GeForce 2 MX in there, but I didn't like how hot the main IC was getting so I swapped it out (I'll get a cooling solution for it at some point). I put a Riva TNT2 in it, and that seemed to work fine. But then I wanted to experiment with a Glide wrapper, and I realized I had a GeForce FX 5200 already on hand, so I put that card in. Naturally I went for the latest Windows 98 drivers for it, but that gave me all sorts of issues. A lot of games wouldn't even open, they would just crash to the desktop immediately after launching without any indication of why.

But then I installed Turok, and it actually gave me an error message which indicated not enough video RAM. Which is odd, because Turok only needs like 2 MB and the 5200 has like 128 MB. So I ran dxdiag and it reported my video card having approximately 1.5 MB LOL. I remember reading online that the later nVidia Win98 drivers can be buggy and there's a few earlier ones that are more stable. So I Googled it and a lot of people recommend the 45.23 driver. So I downgraded to 45.23 and now dxdiag reports the correct about of video RAM. And now games are playing fine that previously wouldn't launch.

However, I'm having another issue with RAM not being reported correctly, my system RAM. I already mentioned that I had PC100 RAM in there when the manual states that only PC100 is supported when using a CPU with a 133 Mhz FSB (which I am). So at first I thought maybe there was some issue there. But I got two sticks of PC133, 256 MB each, and installed them. The BIOS and OS report only 256 MB with both sticks installed. However, CPUZ reports the full 512 MB and can see 256 MB on both sticks. This motherboard does in fact support that much RAM, it supports up to 512 MB in each DIMM socket. I haven't messed around with it yet. Maybe I'm using an incompatible type of memory, but in my experience SDRAM just seems to always work no matter what. I'm pretty sure the motherboard has the latest BIOS installed. So I'm not sure what's going on.

But I guess this is part of the joy of owning an old computer, they don't always "just work" like modern computers seem to. It's funny, but if you get a BSOD on a Windows 98 computer it's no big deal. But if you got a BSOD on a modern Windows OS, it would be completely unacceptable.