Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Gucci
64-bit

Re: Steam Deck - Valve's handheld console

by Gucci Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:06 pm

marurun wrote:Steam has an offline mode. So you can go offline at times.

I remember testing this out a few years ago with the offline mode. It’ll eventually call home but I could never figure out when. I’d play the same game like Skyrim (already activated and such) and it can either ask for a connection the next day or three weeks later. This was about seven or eight years ago.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:04 pm

I am very excited. I game on the go far more than I do stationary nowadays, so Ive been eyeballing a gpdwin for years. All this will take to be perfect for me is GOG support and every fiveish years a hardware refresh.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:11 pm

Looks like a fantastic way to play
VISUAL NOVELS
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:03 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I am very excited. I game on the go far more than I do stationary nowadays, so Ive been eyeballing a gpdwin for years. All this will take to be perfect for me is GOG support and every fiveish years a hardware refresh.

Is there any word of upgradability with this thing? Swapping components and such? I bet the RAM and storage space is soldered on but one can hope for a modular design.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:24 pm

Check out Linus Tech Tips's hands-on - it's not the complete final system, but one of a batch of early engineer demo units. It's really amazing! I'll stick with my GPD Win 2; I have no use for something I can't carry in cargo shorts/jeans.
Nobody's seen inside, but it has a MicroSD card, and it output 4K video through it's top USB 3.1 Type C port.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:03 am

I am really questioning getting a PS5 after this, I mean the whole steam library + emulation... thats something. Also I came to a point where I am too tired to switch a tv and a console to play a game, grabbing something from the side of the bed is just so much more convenient I am embarrassed to say.

They claim the whole Steam library will work but how is that? AFAIK they run these games over Proton which runs a lot of games but not all games.
Also Proton+WNE is just jaw dropping tech, you are playing 60 fps of DOOM 2016 (Windows copy) on a linux system... wow, just wow.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:08 pm

RCBH928 wrote:They claim the whole Steam library will work but how is that? AFAIK they run these games over Proton which runs a lot of games but not all games.

Do they claim that? Because I just don't buy it.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:21 am

i think I heard it from one of the youtube reviewers but I didn't double check it.
Return to Personal Computers