Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Steam Deck - Valve's handheld console

by RCBH928 Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:44 am

Valve for unknown reasons to me is pushing the Linux platform really hard. We all, and they, know this handheld will be hacked and can be used to play other consoles games or services, so why make a handheld when you are a software company?

My only guess its just another attempt to push Linux platform. More linux users -> more games ->more linux users->more support and apps for linux users -> more linux users.... chicken and egg problem. I feel like they know something we don't. My biggest guess is they are trying to avoid a forced 30% cut to Microsoft on Windows platforms but realistically, most people will keep running Windows and play Windows games.

Either way, this is exciting for me since I would love to see an open source OS being pushed into mainstream and be a real 3rd competitor to Windows and MacOS.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:46 am

Jagosaurus wrote:One of the more interesting aspects of this to me is Microsoft's ecosystem...

They're committing all 1st party titles will be PC and XB. When this drops, I'll be on XB1 (hopefully XSX soon) playing people on Halo Infinite using their Steam Deck handheld.

Halo games on Steam today:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/gro ... 7175283308
[Edit - in link have to click view sales page some reason]

I think MIcrosoft is quitting the console market, they are obviously no longer competing. I think they keep the Xbox just so people would not say they lost and have a "losers" stigma to their brand name.. They literally tweet stuff about PS5. I think they realise the real money -and easier- is in selling games and gold laying franchises like Halo and Minecraft.

As for the Xbox, probably turn it into a media center like Apple TV or a Super Roku.

o.pwuaioc wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:PS4 level gaming is a bit mind blowing to be in a handheld, its a bit early for tech to have advanced so much...I think. I mean PS4 still being played, in fact still being sold I believe.

Game Boy Color was on par with the SNES. PSP was on par with the PS2. The Vita wasn't as powerful as the PS4, but it also came out 2 years before, too.

yea but back then technology exponentially advanced every year, it was like only 4 years between SNES and PSX.

Reprise wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:PS4 level gaming is a bit mind blowing to be in a handheld, its a bit early for tech to have advanced so much...I think. I mean PS4 still being played, in fact still being sold I believe.

The PS4 came out in 2013, so by the time this comes out (Q1 2022), the PS4 will be nearly 9 years old. It's not *that* impressive.

Besides, Digital Foundry reckon it's actually closer to the Series S in terms of power, which is more impressive.

Before I read your post I did a quick calculation in my head and realized it has been 8 years, thats a lot of time. 8 Years since the SNES release we were already on Dreamcast. Although, if they can cram it into a handheld, shouldn't we have seen a pretty thin PS4 Slim?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:49 pm

RCBH928 wrote:Before I read your post I did a quick calculation in my head and realized it has been 8 years, thats a lot of time. 8 Years since the SNES release we were already on Dreamcast. Although, if they can cram it into a handheld, shouldn't we have seen a pretty thin PS4 Slim?

I don't think there's any serious demand for a smaller, more expensive PS4 this late in the game and they certainly wouldn't put out a new model during a chip shortage that's already hurting them.
marurun

by marurun Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:16 pm

Valve doesn’t want to be trapped in a situation with Microsoft like so many people are with Android and especially Apple. There are real advantages to an App Store-only approach (Apple arguable does a good job with this), but it can be problematic for publishers and developers because it limits their options for selling content. That’s why Epic is suing Apple. Valve wants Linux to be viable for the games market so that if Microsoft gets too overbearing they can have another way to sell. And a Linux-based OS makes a lot of sense for a more limited-purpose device. It has a robust kernel with lots of options for customization, including stripping out stuff you don’t need. Yes, the Steam Handheld can run Windows, but if it works well enough as-is for most Steam titles, I don’t see why most users would need or want to change the OS. And it’s nice to have that option for those who DO want to and do care.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:45 pm

Gucci wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:

Game Boy Color was on par with the SNES. PSP was on par with the PS2. The Vita wasn't as powerful as the PS4, but it also came out 2 years before, too.

Ehh I don’t know about the Color being on par with the SNES. Maybe the GBA would be a better comparison. PSP and PS2 is pretty spot on (GTA Stories games) but again I’d say the Vita was a bit closer to the PS3 than the 4.

You know, I got my wires crossed there. I did indeed mean the GBA, but that came out much later. Oops.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:58 am

marurun wrote:Valve doesn’t want to be trapped in a situation with Microsoft like so many people are with Android and especially Apple. There are real advantages to an App Store-only approach (Apple arguable does a good job with this), but it can be problematic for publishers and developers because it limits their options for selling content. That’s why Epic is suing Apple. Valve wants Linux to be viable for the games market so that if Microsoft gets too overbearing they can have another way to sell. And a Linux-based OS makes a lot of sense for a more limited-purpose device. It has a robust kernel with lots of options for customization, including stripping out stuff you don’t need. Yes, the Steam Handheld can run Windows, but if it works well enough as-is for most Steam titles, I don’t see why most users would need or want to change the OS. And it’s nice to have that option for those who DO want to and do care.

Whatever it is I am glad some one is brave enough to stand against Microsoft and making new options. I hate it when one company becomes too dominant the others are just stand there like idiots too afraid to challenge it.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:23 pm

Few relevant points to previous comments:
- Already a lot of MS first party games on Steam (also now includes Bethesda library)
- IGN tweeted about Halo Infinite on Steam Deck
- XB outsold PS5 for June (also selling better in Japan than ever)
- XB did announce TV apps on Smart TVs out of the box soon

I fully expect to see a lot of MS games running on this thing. Phil Spencer wants an ecosystem and this plays directly into it. At the very least, fully expect X Cloud to run.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:34 am

Jagosaurus wrote:- XB outsold PS5 for June (also selling better in Japan than ever)

This is a real shocker, I will guess the chip shortages have a lot to do with it. A lot of people are looking for PS5s but can only find scalper prices.

Microsoft forgot about the console wars and thinking about how to make the most money and that is not a wrong thing to do.
ZRofel
24-bit

by ZRofel Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:40 am

So, I'm sorry if I'm just a big dumb-dumb and missed this, but does this device need to be connected to the internet all the time, like Steam does on a PC? It seems like that would defeat the point of making it a handheld, but it also is kind of a vital part of Steam's business plan.

I bought a GPD Win Max earlier in the pandemic, because I love the idea of handheld PC gaming, and for the most part, it's been awesome. It's a great little device, if anyone wants to hear me gas on about it. I've been reluctant to run Steam on it, though, because, well, it's a handheld, so I want to be able to use it places where I don't have an internet connection. So I've been predominantly getting my games from GOG. However, the reality is there are a lot of great games on Steam that won't ever make their way over to GOG. I'm not opposed to using Steam if I can do so in a less restrictive manner.
marurun

by marurun Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:47 am

Steam has an offline mode. So you can go offline at times.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Personal Computers