Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
bmoc
Next-Gen

Steam Deck - Valve's handheld console

by bmoc Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:52 pm

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/

I am surprised that this looks pretty decent. Specs look pretty good. Using Proton for Windows game compatibility. If the built-in controls are good, color me impressed. Also good on Valve for implementing a reservation system to thwart scalpers.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Steam Deck - Valve's handheld console

by RCBH928 Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:12 pm

very very very interesting... This is making me question buying a PS5. reminds me of the Atari lynx design. I am worried about the ergonomics, doe snot look comfortable. any one can answer these questions:-

1-To which console generation will this device be comparable?

2-How long will the battery last?

3-Steam says you can run PC apps on it, so will it run GOG and other linux software?

From the looks of it, Valve is buildings it way into the console wars and with their current user base and extensive PC library Sony and Microsoft should worry.
marurun

by marurun Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:23 pm

There's been speculation it's PS4/XB1-class in terms of power.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:24 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if Valve does a XCloud typed service with the games you already own. This handheld being one major avenue to make that service a reality.

Does anyone remember the precursor to the Switch? That Nvidia Shield handheld thing? Forgot the name of it but this reminds me of that.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:48 am

PS4 level gaming is a bit mind blowing to be in a handheld, its a bit early for tech to have advanced so much...I think. I mean PS4 still being played, in fact still being sold I believe.

i don't believe in Cloud gaming, i think no matter what its a worse experience than playing local gaming. Unless the future has something where latency disappears but I really really doubt it. It probably is going to be a premium service to those who live near a datacenter with 1Gbps connection or something like that.

I am very interested to see how this affects Switch sales or any future Nintendo product given now it has competition in console and handhelds. Steam library, which near all PC games library, is some serious competition not to mention it can play emulation as it can run PC software as the official website mentions.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:39 pm

RCBH928 wrote:PS4 level gaming is a bit mind blowing to be in a handheld, its a bit early for tech to have advanced so much...I think. I mean PS4 still being played, in fact still being sold I believe.

Not really. Especially not at a 400 USD price point. Even a mediocre gaming computer can outperform a PS4 now. PS4 is still being played because 1. Games still look fine more or less and 2. the PS5 is still difficult to find and expensive when you do.

I assume it will be locked to your Steam library but people will likely hack it to be more open of course.

I'm not sure how this thing will land or if the appeal is really there especially for the price, too much is unknown until people actually get their hands on it. I don't think it's at risk of unseating the Switch because the Switch is idiot-proof and that's one of the big appeals of console gaming.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:42 pm

RCBH928 wrote:PS4 level gaming is a bit mind blowing to be in a handheld, its a bit early for tech to have advanced so much...I think. I mean PS4 still being played, in fact still being sold I believe.

Game Boy Color was on par with the SNES. PSP was on par with the PS2. The Vita wasn't as powerful as the PS4, but it also came out 2 years before, too.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:49 pm

The PS4 came out in 2013, so by the time this comes out (Q1 2022), the PS4 will be nearly 9 years old. It's not *that* impressive.

Besides, Digital Foundry reckon it's actually closer to the Series S in terms of power, which is more impressive.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:53 pm

One of the more interesting aspects of this to me is Microsoft's ecosystem...

They're committing all 1st party titles will be PC and XB. When this drops, I'll be on XB1 (hopefully XSX soon) playing people on Halo Infinite using their Steam Deck handheld.

Halo games on Steam today:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/gro ... 7175283308
[Edit - in link have to click view sales page some reason]

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Gucci
64-bit

by Gucci Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:58 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:

Game Boy Color was on par with the SNES. PSP was on par with the PS2. The Vita wasn't as powerful as the PS4, but it also came out 2 years before, too.

Ehh I don’t know about the Color being on par with the SNES. Maybe the GBA would be a better comparison. PSP and PS2 is pretty spot on (GTA Stories games) but again I’d say the Vita was a bit closer to the PS3 than the 4.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
Return to Personal Computers