Recommend a good game to learn mouse and keyboard?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Recommend a good game to learn mouse and keyboard?

Post by SuperDerpBro »

I've always hated the feel of it and never really gave it more than 5 mins before giving up. I didn't get into PC games until they started getting 360 controller support. Not that i'm super into it now, heh. I'd like to try one more time. Give it a real go. Maybe complete an entire game and learn to get used to the basics. I was thinking an older game would be best to start with. Less complex controls? Maybe Half Life? Black Mesa? :mrgreen:
Child owned from a INTERNET GAS filled home.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Recommend a good game to learn mouse and keyboard?

Post by Anapan »

You just need a Keyboard Joystick!
https://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=51806
BTW, if you find a seller with more than one, I desperately need one as well.
I wanna game with the winners - I want to dominate Jill of the Jungle!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

To a fair extent, probably whichever one you feel like playing. I think the caveat there is that mouselook/freelook wasn't necessarily a given pre-Quake, and even that needed a toggle for it. FPS games were iterating on things fairly fast at that point, so things in the general release window of Half-Life n' stuff might be as far back as I'd go.

Offhand though, I would suggest playing through Portal (or the second one, or both) to acclimate to aiming with timing being fairly relaxed most of the time, and simply avoiding things that might shoot back. Then maybe move on to an arena shooter - one of the Unreal Tournament games or Quake III for instance, which are fast and encourage learning to incorporate strafing and so on into movement. Also probably the sorts of games many of us learned on.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Anapan wrote:You just need a Keyboard Joystick!
https://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=51806
BTW, if you find a seller with more than one, I desperately need one as well.
I wanna game with the winners - I want to dominate Jill of the Jungle!

Cant.. Tell.. If.. Serious.. haha

isiolia wrote:To a fair extent, probably whichever one you feel like playing. I think the caveat there is that mouselook/freelook wasn't necessarily a given pre-Quake, and even that needed a toggle for it. FPS games were iterating on things fairly fast at that point, so things in the general release window of Half-Life n' stuff might be as far back as I'd go.

Offhand though, I would suggest playing through Portal (or the second one, or both) to acclimate to aiming with timing being fairly relaxed most of the time, and simply avoiding things that might shoot back. Then maybe move on to an arena shooter - one of the Unreal Tournament games or Quake III for instance, which are fast and encourage learning to incorporate strafing and so on into movement. Also probably the sorts of games many of us learned on.

That's perfect. I have Portal on Steam. Great game. Wonder why no 3?

Cheers
marurun

Post by marurun »

SuperDerpBro wrote:That's perfect. I have Portal on Steam. Great game. Wonder why no 3?

Valve can't count to 3. The never-ending lack of Half Life 3 is evidence of this.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Haha

Edit: I'm gonna need a better mouse.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Doing okay in Portal. What is the best way to turn around? Like when you get into the elevator at the end of a level. Feels really awkward with the mouse.

Curious, the last game i played heavily on PC was the Witcher 3. I played with a controller. If using a KB how does differing speeds of walking work? Is it just RUNNING AT ALL TIMES and a toggle for slow? What if i want to go between slowest and sprinting? lol

What about games like Deus EX? I tried KB with the newest one a while back. The amount of hand gymnastics needed to do very basic tasks was pretty insane.

No games installed (other than Portal and Hob) ATM or i guess i could just test.

:D
Ack

Post by Ack »

What feels awkward about turning? It might be you need to learn to handle a different mouse sensitivity, so you can turn faster or slower depending on your playstyle.

Though a warning: once you get used to a high sensitivity in PC gaming, playing on consoles can feel agonizingly slow. As much as controller jockeys may want to believe otherwise, "twitch" is really a keyboard and mouse-type thing.
SuperDerpBro
128-bit

Post by SuperDerpBro »

Every time i do it i feel like i have to move it too far right, or left. Or move it, pick it up, place it back to center mouse pad, and then move it a bit more to do a full 180.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Increase your mouse sensitivity. You should be able to turn a full 360 on your mouse pad without picking up and repositioning.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.