Linux Ubuntu
3%
Other (Please explain)
6%

Total votes: 32

Ziggy

What is your main OS and why? (Poll)

Post by Ziggy »

I was mainly interested in seeing who still uses Windows 7 since support is ending at the end of the year, but I figured this would be a fun thread.

What is your OS of choice right now? Why so? And if you use multiple OSes, which one do you consider to be your "main" OS, or which one do you use the most?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: What is your main OS and why? (Poll)

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Outdated gaming computer with Windows 7. Runs quickly and flawlessly. Hate everything about Windows 8 and 10, especially the latter.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Fedora 30 (Linux). Fedora was my first introduction to Linux back in 04. Though I didn't stick with it through the years (apparently that was a very smart decision!), dancing between Windows and Linux until settling on Windows 7, I switched completely over to Linux (deciding on Fedora after trying a few) when they announced Win7's end of life. Figured I'd get a head start since at teh time Win8 was garbage and even Win10 has some privacy issues I'd rather avoid.

I do have Windows 10 on my Surface tablet/laptop, but there's little use for it outside Rome: Total War and Skyrim these days.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Outdated gaming computer with Windows 7. Runs quickly and flawlessly. Hate everything about Windows 8 and 10, especially the latter.

Come to the dark (Linux) side, ol' friend. It's not perfect, but I'd switch over if I were you right before they pull the plug. Keep on Win7 machine that's not connected to the internet for games, if you like.

If you're at all computer-handy (not even computer-savvy!), Linux isn't all that difficult to run and maintain.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I primarily use Windows 10 and have been since it came out. My wife's laptop is Windows 7 and probably wont push her to upgrade until security updates finally cease.

I haven't seen a Windows 8 PC for a long time. I think most folks with 8 took advantage of the free upgrade to 10.

Work is a whole other story. I still deal primarily with Windows 10 for the moment but add in server operating systems and mobile. I'm also delving into Cisco IOS.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I updated to 10 when it came out. My girlfriend still uses 7.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Windows 7 because I only change OS if I have to. I made a Windows 10 VM and spent a several hours disabling "features" and hacking the registry to make it act like Windows 7. It will be viable when I'm forced to upgrade at some point in the future, but lack of support won't be enough to abandon 7.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Windows 8 was bad, but I love Windows 10.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

There are a lot of things I don’t like about 10, but it works. There’s always shit I hate about Windows. 10 just has some new shit to dislike.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

My main computers are running Windows 10. I have others with older Windows versions, MacOS, Linux, etc.

Predominately, I'm using Windows because it has such wide support for hardware and software out of the box. In turn, Windows 10 has the most current level of support, and as I work in IT, it's useful for me to stay up to date with it. Anything out there has pros and cons, so sure, there are aspects of 10 I don't care for, but it's the best suited to what I'm using it for.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I have been using OS X for years now. OS X has a slick user interface with all the power of a full Unix-style command line. Its the best of both worlds. What’s not to like?