Batman The Telltale Series - Point and Click?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Ziggy

Batman The Telltale Series - Point and Click?

Post by Ziggy »

I purchased Batman - The Telltale Series and it's sequel on GOG a while back when they were on sale. I thought they looked interesting and was happy to see the genre listed as "point and click." However, I finally got around to trying this game out and I'm wondering when the point and click part comes.

To me, point and click is like Myst, Monkey Island, et cetera. I've played 20 minutes into Batman The Telltate Series and so far it's 100% quick time events. I thought, well maybe the opening cinematic is QTE but then when you get to the actual game it'll be a true point and click. Well, I got past the opening heist and to the next scene, and it's still all QTE.

I am really disappointed. Is the entire game one big cutscene with QTE? Why do they call this point and click? Is this what point and click means these days?
Ack

Re: Batman The Telltale Series - Point and Click?

Post by Ack »

Hey Ziggy, is this your first experience with one of the Telltale point and clicks? I haven't played their Batman game, but from my experience with other titles, I would guess that it will be a mixture of quick time events, interactive dialogue, decision making, and occasionally some traditional point and click gameplay.

Telltale was experimental with its approach to the genre, so it's not going to be what you think of when playing a point and click. It will have some elements, though you will probably have to go deeper to find them.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yep, this is my first Telltale game.

Ack wrote:I would guess that it will be a mixture of quick time events, interactive dialogue, decision making, and occasionally some traditional point and click gameplay.

You've guessed correctly, although 20 minutes in I've yet to experience any traditional point and click gameplay. That sucks that the traditional point and click is only occasional in their games.

I just can't get on board with the QTE gameplay. At least I got them when they were on sale.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I didn't play this this or any of the telltale games, but this is not QTE from what I have seen. This is closer to "Choose Your Own Adventure" books.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Earlier Telltale titles are similar or are actual point and click adventures (Sam & Max, Bones, Monkey Island), however pretty much everything that came after the massive success that was The Walking Dead, are chose your own adventures (most cases the appearance of choice).
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

From my experience, the amount of 'point and click' gameplay in Telltale games has mostly reduced with each new game they have released. Obviously they started with more traditional point and click gameplay in their earlier games, but that changed with The Walking Dead. The Walking Dead Season 1 and The Wolf Among Us did feature some 'point and click' gameplay, but the amount featured definitely reduced in subsequent entries of TWD and their other games, I feel.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328