Mouse recommendations?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Mouse recommendations?

Post by Erik_Twice »

I got a Zowie FK1. Best mouse I've owned. It's incredibly solid, truly high-quality product without any of the "gamer cool" trappings of other mice.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

samsonlonghair wrote:
I don’t know what to tell you, chuckster. This trackball IS optical. What’s more, I am a digital artist. I use this trackball for my graphic design because it’s even more accurate than my Wacom tablet. It’s that precise! Maybe you should try messing with your sensitivity settings in your operating system. I find that turning the sensitivity down a notch can improve precision.

Sorry, I just used optical mouse in the sense of a traditional mouse with an optical sensor, didn't mean to sound confusing. I find the sensor responsiveness and therefore precision to be a cut below my traditional mice when playing games or doodling, but that's just me. I'm just used to more granularity I guess. I know I never got used to using a Wacom either, so there may be a theme emerging!

I'll try out the M570 for more serious things based on this though!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Whelp, my DeathAdder mouse wheel is already squeaking a bit... nothing terrible but it was noticeable the last two days. Some canned air seemed to do the job for now but feels like a headache waiting to boil. Just Google around "Razer DeathAdder squeak" and you get a lot of results and videos. :|
marurun

Post by marurun »

Never heard of a squeaky mouse wheel. Mine usually lose their precision when doing line-by-line scrolling. Mouse wheel issues are why I have to retire most mice. That seems to always be the trouble spot.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Not sure I've run into it specifically, but I'd guess there's something you could lubricate to fix it. I haven't really considered Razer as the only product I had of theirs was a keyboard that was...not great.

My go-to basic mouse lately has been the Steelseries Rival 100. Has a little of the fancy stuff (configurable LED light, tracking speed, etc), but you're not really paying a premium for it.

I haven't tried using a trackball/marble/whatever in a while, but never really took to them back in the day when I did own one. My parents did buy a couple recently to combat RSI though.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Alright... air duster isn't doing the trick. What lubricate would you guys recommend?

I don't really feel like taking it apart at all (ruin the warranty) or even really contacting Razer to potentially get a replacement and have to wait a week or two in between. This sucks, lol. Premium my ass. Probably going to avoid Razer going forward.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Xeogred wrote:Probably going to avoid Razer going forward.

I can only speak anecdotally. As I only ever had one Razer gaming mouse, and I only really ever played one game with it (the original Prey) because it ended up breaking after about a month of use as a browsing mouse.

Razer mice look fancy, and some of them perform decently, but they seem to be widely unreliable. And that's not just by my anecdotal experience (though that's the only one I can vouch for), there's many people talking about how unreliable Razer stuff are if you research it online.

I would suggest a Reddragon mouse, these aren't the best mice in the world, but they are absolutely some of the best for that low price.

At least when one of these cheapos breaks you can replace it without a second thought, but when a $50-70 mouse breaks, well most are too light to even be used as decent expensive paper weights...
marurun

Post by marurun »

Just get a good Logitech. Not cheap, but among the most reliable you can own. I can still take out the mouse wheel in about 2-3 years of use, but I have never found better.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah the g403 does look good. I've always had a good experience with Logitech so far. I can't even remember how old the little wireless Logitech mouse I have is and it's still going strong, it's just become more of my lounge mouse when I'm away from my desk and maybe watching stuff through my TV, so it's a bit small and not ideal for normal use to me now. Good backup though.

Does the g403 have software? I have to agree with some comments floating around reddit or whatever, any mouse that requires software should probably be a red flag. This "Razer Synapse" thing is just laughable and I'd love to delete that crap, will when I replace this mouse.

I do like the look of that Reddragon though. Ergonomically it's a bit closer to what I had previously for awhile and liked a lot. Guess that one is so cheap I could order it for the heck of it and have a potential backup. I don't like the look of the cord though, not a fan of these really thick threaded cords... my tower is below and to the left on the outside of my desk, it's kind of a pain dealing with these thicker cords haha. Guess I'm getting used to them though.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I'd find requiring software to be odd, though not simply having it. The mouse I mentioned (or its sequel I guess) works fine without software, but can be further configured if you install it. My assumption would be that the G403 is much the same - plug and play, but if you want to take full advantage of the features you'd want to install their control panel.