Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Indie Box

by Tanooki Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:37 pm

I remember seeing a picture of that controller like a week ago but the dude didn't list it as box contents so I didn't know if it was a media gimme to get some news/reviews out of their service. I think that's one of those cheapo Tommo controllers, but they do work fine as long as they decide to work(random) so that's cool. At least you'll get the best play experience out of it from the box without getting your own usb-snes controller or adapter to do that.

That new release for the month looks like it could be fun too.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:14 pm

Got Super Win today. Love how the entire package is SNES-ish.

Game looks awesome. I was really impressed with the last two. Now I'm on the fence about cancelling my subscription. :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:19 pm

I know! Bastards. This controller was such a sick pack-in. I gotta keep the subscription a few more months to be sure now haha. I've played a little of Super Win The Game. You'll like it. Very Zelda II.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:21 pm

My issue with the sub is that it's a crap shoot on what you'll get and I'm picky enough I think I'd be at a loss. I would like that Super Win the Game box. Sure the controller is ok I guess but the total deal, the physical usb card, and the game itself just looks fun.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:54 pm

noiseredux wrote:I know! Bastards. This controller was such a sick pack-in. I gotta keep the subscription a few more months to be sure now haha. I've played a little of Super Win The Game. You'll like it. Very Zelda II.

Nine games in. Here's my experience.

I missed the first three: Teslagrad, Escape Goat 2, and Forced. Wasn't subscribed yet.

I initially signed up for a three-month membership. Got MouseCraft, Luftrausers, and Brütal Legend. I doubt I would have bought any of these separately from the IndieBox store (ya know, had I not had a subscription).

At this point I tried to cancel my subscription. Which was ignored for some reason. Was automatically enrolled for another three months.

Next three games were SteamWorld Dig, Rogue Legacy, and Super Win the Game. All three are awesome (I've played a bit of Super Win) and I certainly would have ordered them from the store. Of course had I done that I would have spent more money.

So yeah, total crapshoot.

I'm leaning towards cancellation simply because I dislike subscriptions in general. I prefer to be more "in control" of what I buy and when.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:49 pm

That control issue is why I don't have one. It's definitely not the price, that's more than fair for what you get.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:23 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Got Super Win today. Love how the entire package is SNES-ish.

have you played this much, Bone? I played like an hour the day I got it. Seems quaint and all, but nothing has compelled me to boot it up since. I feel like I was more excited about the controller than the game.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:11 pm

How good is that controller anyway?

I was interested in the game if I could get that box set, but I kind of forgot about it and given the limited run I doubt it'll end up with anything much left(if at all) when they retire it to the past month buy list.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Feb box was Risk Of Rain. As a Valentine's promotion, it came w/ 2 Steam keys. So now my wife and I can play co-op. And one of the weirder pack-ins, it also came w/ a pair of Risk Of Rain... socks. (Also gave those to my wife).
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:29 am

alright, once again I'm thinking it's time to cancel.

Escape Goat 2 was amazing. And I'm thrilled to have the OOP boxed set.

Forced was... ok. At least I got to play it w/ Ack & Fast which was cool. Sold it.

Mousecraft was also "just ok." I couldn't keep interested enough to beat it though. Sold it.

Luftrausers had a great artstyle, but the controls didn't click with me. I booted it up ONCE.

Brutal Legend, I have no real interest in. I never even opened the box. Sold it.

Steamworld Dig I couldn't get into. I played it once, for maybe an hour. It felt a bit like Terraria to me? Sold it.

Rogue Legacy, is kind of fun for 10 mins or so and then I get frustrated and play something else.

Super Win The Game seemed alright but lost my interest quickly. I was way more excited about the SNES knockoff USB controller than the game itself.

Risk Of Rain... I hate this game. Gave the socks to my wife. Hate the game.

^So, out of 9 games:

1 I loved
4 were "ok"
4 I either didn't like at all or had no interest in even playing

Not a good track record for me.
Return to Personal Computers