Can my computer run game X?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Can my computer run game X?

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:Naw, bro, always install your memory in pairs these days. Almost every single PC out there now supports dual-channel memory,.

I have a computer with 4GB in one slot and 2GB in another slot, does it make a difference that they are not exactly equal?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

RCBH928 wrote:I have a computer with 4GB in one slot and 2GB in another slot, does it make a difference that they are not exactly equal?

It does make a difference. Multi-channel memory requires identical DIMMs in corresponding slots (why you often see two different colors for RAM sockets). Each pair/etc doesn't need to be the same. For instance, you could have 2x4GB and 2x2GB and it'd be fine. Also keep in mind that all the RAM in a system will run at the same clock/timings, so if you're mixing and matching, your lowest spec DIMMs are going to determine what it all can run at. The ideal thing is to buy matched sets of DIMMs.

Keep in mind that you can end up running into compatibility issues with RAM, so it's best to check to see what configurations and kits have been tested by the PC/motherboard manufacturer. It's not likely to be the only stuff that'll ever work, but it can give you a good idea.

Also, again, this is what's ideal, and there can be a difference in performance. However, outside of synthetic benchmarks or particular workloads, it doesn't tend to be that big of a difference (less than 5%). Can see some testing here for instance - up top, the big difference in synthetics, and then the relatively minor ones when you get to most actual tasks.
For day to day desktop type use, at least to a point, more RAM is likely preferable, or like that article says, better performing memory. Though, typically, you're probably going to wind up buying a pair of DIMMs anyway.

If you're looking at upgrading a laptop or something though, again, dual channel memory at the fastest speed it'll support offers a noticeable boost to integrated graphics.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I'm looking at some GoG releases that are fairly ambiguous and say "3D graphics card." I'm not trying to play anything new, but here's an example of a much more specific listing.

---
Far Cry
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Minimum system requirements - Windows: XP / Vista/ 7 / 8 / 10
Processor: 1 GHz Processor (1.4 GHz recommended)
Memory: 256MB RAM (512 recommended)
Graphics: 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 9
---

Will a middle of the road Dell laptop with an onboard set up run this? Of course, way covered on CPU & RAM. Just seems ambiguous compared to below example.
---
Grandia 2
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Minimum system requirements - Windows: Windows 7, 8, 10
Processor: Dual Core, 2.5Ghz
Memory: 4GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 4000 Series / Nvidia GTX 200 Series / Intel HD 3000 Series
DirectX Version 10
Hard Drive: 2.8 GB available space
---

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Far Cry
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Minimum system requirements - Windows: XP / Vista/ 7 / 8 / 10
Processor: 1 GHz Processor (1.4 GHz recommended)
Memory: 256MB RAM (512 recommended)
Graphics: 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 9

Huh, that's funny. Reading off my Far Cry box...

Supported OS: Windows 98SE/2000/XP
Processor: 1 Ghz (2 Ghz recommended)
RAM: 256 MB (512-1024 MB recommended)
Video Card: 64 MB DirectX 9.0b compatible (see list)

The supported video card list specifies GeForce 2/3/4/FX and ATI Radeon 8500/9000
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thanks man. Looks like downloading Far Cry Classic on xbox market will be the best route for me.

In the next year I'll be on the hunt for gaming laptop... a thread for another time

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5