Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
opa
128-bit

Re: Linux

by opa Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:22 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:Does anyone have an opinion on light weight Linux distros for older hardware? I've Googled already, so I know what the top X distros are. I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them and could recommend one. I've been running Mint on an old desktop and it's OK, but it could definitely be snappier. I think I want to switch to something else.

I like xubuntu and think it's good. More lightweight than Lubuntu.

I did read up on LXLE today since you posted. I haven't tried it out yet. However, I do want to check it out. If you want I can install it on my crap pc and see how it does.
opa
128-bit

by opa Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:25 pm

My parents had a couple of old laptops that I went through to clear data/recycle. One of them was an old windows 8 machine and was a decent candidate for revival. I installed Linux Lite and it works like a charm. Yeah, the battery is kinda crap but it works! They can at least have another device for basic web browsing and youtube.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Thanks, opa. I forgot to reply to this thread when you last replied. I was leaning toward Xubuntu, I'll probably go with that when I get around to it. It's kinda low priority right now though.

What kind of hard drive was in that laptop? And how fast was the start up time?

I have an old slim line Windows 8 PC (wow, saying "old" and "Windows 8" kind of sucks) that I've dual booted with XP and Linux Mint. XP starts up extremely fast, but Mint really takes a while to get to the desktop. Then once on the desktop, it's chugging for a minute until all the background stuff is loaded. It's fairly annoying being that this is my workbench PC, hence why I'm looking for something a little snappier. That's why I ask about start up time. I had thought about putting a cheap SSD in there, thinking that might help the boot up time. But since XP starts really fast on the stock mechanical drive, I know it's not exactly the drive that's the problem. That, and I rather keep the mechanical drive in there if I can.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!
opa
128-bit

by opa Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:47 pm

It has a standard laptop hdd. Start up time with linux was about 20-25 seconds. But once it loaded everything seemed pretty snappy. Chrome worked fine and youtube had no issues playing 1080p videos.

An ssd could help, potentially. If you have a spare one laying around you could check it out.

Edit: I do want to add the laptop is very low-spec. 2.9 gHz / 4 gb memory. I don't remember the cpu.
Return to Personal Computers