Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

C64 games for a younger newbie?

by PretentiousHipster Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:02 pm

I want to explore more avenues for gaming. This includes Sega games, arcade games (although they don't do well for my YouTube hobby at all), and c64 games.

I've tried battleships and labyrinth a while back and really enjoyed both, but as I tried the more classic ones like IK+ or Bubble Bobble I found them fascinating but weren't too into them.

I've been looking into more of them, but they seem shall I say, too inaccessible for me. I guess I can compare it to silent films or avant garde cinema where it's a completely new experience for me and I'm not really in the proper mindset for them yet.

So what I'd like to ask is are there any suitable c64 entries for someone who is practically completely new to it? I think Work might be a good option but I wanna figure out more than that.
opa
128-bit

Re: C64 games for a younger newbie?

by opa Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:15 am

I would stick with C64 arcade conversions. They're simple and easy to get into. I especially like the port of OutRun. Golden Axe is horrible; don't play that. One of the c64 rom sites has a "top downloads" section which is pretty representative of a top games list.
For a new player I'd avoid any RPG or simulation style game. Not that they're bad games but they're hard to get into nowadays.

Oh, Castlevania is pretty awesome if you can find the files.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:27 am

It's not really representative of standard C64 games, but I was so impressed with the videos I saw of the 2009 homebrew game Knight 'n' Grail, I bought the digital download. It's a Metroidvania - my favorite game genre. and it was well worth the asking price. One of the few C64 games I've spent much time playing. A couple others I enjoyed were Nebulus and Bubble Bobble, but they have better ports on other systems. I didn't have access to a C64 growing up so I don't have any nostalgia like I do for other systems.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

by marurun Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:41 pm

A lot of great games on C64 or pretty great games on most early PCs. In terms of accessible titles, classic fare like Lode Runner and Boulderdash are great introductions to early PC fare, but you'll enjoy them equally on C64, Atari 8-bit, or Apple II.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ninjamaster
16-bit

by Ninjamaster Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:54 am

I have really good memories of those games!

1) Kung fu Master

2) Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders

3) Impossible Mission

4) Ghostbusters
My collection Updated 2021: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=31763
Return to Personal Computers