Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

How thrifty are you?

by Jake Armitage Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:03 am

If you like going to thrift stores how often do you go and how many stores do you typically hit?

I generally go every Thursday and I hit about a dozen stores - there are a few others I only go to occasionally since they never seem to have much of anything.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: How thrifty are you?

by Tanooki Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:42 am

M-F during the school year there are 2 on the way to my kids pick up, so I go into goodwill (2) every day then, and on the weekend instead of those I'll go to another 2 + a St Vincent Depaul looking for stuff. The flea market this year I semi-gave up on because of weird weather and ebay douchebaggery hitting a new high along with just a poor amount of selection compared to years past.

If I ever drive by a thrift and have time, I'll go in. I wouldn't do it every day if it wasn't on my way though as it wouldn't pay off for finding whatever and the value it has. If I were after games I would have stopped that years ago, not much of interest happens around here and while cheaply (wall value thankfully) priced most the time, it's very inconsistent and spread out.

I do it for exercise, a little variety of seeing new stuff, to add to some interest of mine, and sadly as a necessity in some cases to pop online to sell as I thrift because I have no budget for fun and haven't in years. :(
JoeAwesome
128-bit

by JoeAwesome Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:14 am

Jake Armitage wrote:If you like going to thrift stores how often do you go and how many stores do you typically hit?

I generally go every Thursday and I hit about a dozen stores - there are a few others I only go to occasionally since they never seem to have much of anything.

I don't go as often as I used to 5, 10 years ago. The days of finding great stuff are few and far in between if you're solely in it for making money, or building a collection for that matter. Any more on it and I'd just be reminiscing about the good ol' days.
Jake Armitage
16-bit

by Jake Armitage Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:24 am

JoeAwesome wrote:
I don't go as often as I used to 5, 10 years ago. The days of finding great stuff are few and far in between if you're solely in it for making money, or building a collection for that matter. Any more on it and I'd just be reminiscing about the good ol' days.

I have been going to them for 40 years or so. I am a little more organized on it now that I am retired. And while I love Mrs. Armitage it is kinda nice to be off on my own for a bit - I find going to thrift stores to be somehow relaxing. And I have enough different things I collect that I can usually find something. Anymore video game stuff is the last thing I expect to find.
"When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!"
JoeAwesome
128-bit

by JoeAwesome Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:45 am

Jake Armitage wrote:
JoeAwesome wrote:

I have been going to them for 40 years or so. I am a little more organized on it now that I am retired. And while I love Mrs. Armitage it is kinda nice to be off on my own for a bit - I find going to thrift stores to be somehow relaxing. And I have enough different things I collect that I can usually find something. Anymore video game stuff is the last thing I expect to find.

Pretty much. My hobbies are diverse, and so are my interests, so I go to a thrift store, I look for a bunch of different things. Generally, I find something non-gaming that I'm interested in, and that's enough for me.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:34 pm

See that's what saves it for me, a mix of the unknown, but also a wide set of things I'd find interesting enough to buy.

Just yesterday after dropping some mail off, I went by one, and for under $4 I picked up 2 vintage japanese saki bottles, and one had a pair of nicely matching cups too. Another time two weeks earlier I found a $30 PC game for $3. Yet in the past I've pulled tubs of cheap Lego, antiques, records, a vintage coin holder that clips to a belt, a fuzzy loot rate tribble, and random other things. You never know, but as long as you go in having low to NO expectations of satisfaction, it works better that way.
marurun

by marurun Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:21 pm

Saki means ahead. I think you mean sake (pronounced sakeh) bottles ;)
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Yup, got to love auto-incorrect. I'd turn it off but it would make things infinitely worse.

I do need to get some though, been a very long time since I tasted the stuff and it's good.

I drove a few miles out of my way earlier ago to the next county to buy a $35 grossly overpriced My Arcade Pac Man Pocket Player for $13 at a specific Walmart. It's surprisingly quite good and fun. Totally worth it at that price, perhaps even if they had set it at $20 too. Perfect? No, but more than good enough.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:39 pm

I’m pretty thrifty. I used to hit two to four different Goodwills on my way home from work every day. I had to scale that back because my man cave is too full. I accumulated an awful lot of electronic distractions. I own more stereo equipment than I reasonably need, and I got it for super cheap. I told myself that I would sell some of this stuff, but it’s kinda heavy, and I don’t like to pay the extra money for shipping.
Return to Game Deals