casterofdreams
Next-Gen

RED ALERT - RED ALERT: NEW SUPPLY OF WII Us

by casterofdreams Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: RED ALERT - RED ALERT: NEW SUPPLY OF WII Us

by dsheinem Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 am

Not meaning to be snarky or anything, but why would people buy this for $300 in 2018?
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:37 am

Good question. I did purchase this so I can answer why I went for the plunge.

Because I have a large library of both Wii (16) and Wii U (38) games I’d like to have a back up just in case. The game pad is difficult to purchase on it own (if you can even do that). I somehow got a scratch on it. There aren’t many in the wild so finding one in an acceptable condition might be difficult. Same goes for the console. Finding one in my area in good condition has become a problem. Also the disk slot assembly I perceived to be a point of failure in the future.

Anyway that’s my take on why I got it. I figured I’d give the community a heads up if anyone was somehow interested.
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:05 am

I bought a refurbished U when they were still available from the Nintendo store for the same reason, to keep as a backup. Since the console sold relatively poorly, that might make getting a replacement down the road hard or expensive (or both). The U still has plenty of first party games that are exclusive to the console. Even if more games get ported to the Switch or its successor, I'm sure there will always be exclusives for it.

But dsh, I'm guessing you mean, "Why would someone buy a Wii U / Mario Kart 8 bundle in 2018 for $300 when then could buy a Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?" Of course, the Switch is still being supported while the U is dead at this point. So if you're looking at investing in a new Nintendo console, yeah, the U would probably be a bad choice. I'm guessing someone found a bunch of these U bundles in a warehouse, or maybe it was returned unsold from a retailer, and Nintendo is just looking to offload them.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:26 am

Nintendo has sold some limited edition consoles in the past on their site well after they disappeared from retail. Things that the retailers could easily get rid of (personally bought the crystal red/blue 2DS and the Yoshi 3DS XL well after production has ended). I’ll take a stab and say it was a box or two lying around in a warehouse.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:55 pm

A cursory search on eBay shows a new WiiU NSMB bundle (open box) for $180. Even that strikes me kind of expensive, but then again I’m kind of a cheapskate! :lol:
Return to Game Deals