Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: Taobao deals, finds and purchases

by Betagam7 Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:34 am

Got these from Taobao. The Kirby I think is real. The Gauntlet IV is a bootleg and the Final Fantasy VII...well.

Also got this to play the FC games on:

However I've experienced a pretty major setback in that area as documented here:

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49014
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:51 am

Picked up this little curiosity for 80 RMB:

It's in every way, except one identical to the plug and play TV device also shaped like Sonic's head that is described here:

http://segaretro.org/Fun_Play_20-in-1

The main difference with this one is that it is a portable console with a built in screen! Size wise it's comparable to the Brain Games Colour released by ATgames except that on this device the games selection is far, far better with five Sonic titles and interesting curiosities like the GG version of Ristar!

Sound is awful when piped through the systems crappy speaker but much clearer when you plug in headphones.

What's unusual is that when buying this I couldn't find any documented evidence of it's existence online (all websites only mention the plug and play only version), to the point where I even doubted if the screen was going to be real or just a design (since it comes covered with a Sonic Blast sticker!).

Overall this is a nice, cute looking little bit of nostalgia with 20 mostly quality games and unlike the P&P hardware it is based on the games actually look good on the handheld screen that most of them were designed to be played on.

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:43 am

What no link to it over at taobao? I think some Sega fans wanting a limited cheap device on the go would like that. There's a nice selection with the Sonic and Alex Kidd games among the others.

Also yeah that Kirby appears to be real from what I've seen. The FF7 game, interesting you found one with the english hack attached to it. That would be a cool game to own regardless if you liked the original game or not, and probably due to the blown out slow spells and yammering on the PS game it could be seen as an improvement. :D I'm curious if yours is the fixed up on or the stock game with various problems most say you have to cheat to tolerate it. The 4 year upgrade hack has the original FF7 green/white logo on the title, B button runs, and heaps of updates, but the old one lacks those obvious things.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:16 am

Tanooki wrote:What no link to it over at taobao? I think some Sega fans wanting a limited cheap device on the go would like that. There's a nice selection with the Sonic and Alex Kidd games among the others.

Also yeah that Kirby appears to be real from what I've seen. The FF7 game, interesting you found one with the english hack attached to it. That would be a cool game to own regardless if you liked the original game or not, and probably due to the blown out slow spells and yammering on the PS game it could be seen as an improvement. :D I'm curious if yours is the fixed up on or the stock game with various problems most say you have to cheat to tolerate it. The 4 year upgrade hack has the original FF7 green/white logo on the title, B button runs, and heaps of updates, but the old one lacks those obvious things.

I'll hopefully find out in the next few days when one of the portable famicom handhelds I ordered gets here.

Meanwhile, this is the link to the Sega Funplay portable:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.0uQX3Z&id=35100203285&ns=1&abbucket=19#detail

The seller only has two left although another Taobaoer is selling it at a slightly higher price. I still haven't been able to find anything out about its origins online...just the standard plug and plays but no mention of this nice portable version.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:47 am

My portable Famicom clone came today. it looks like this:

It was around 90RMB with shipping. It's a comfortable unit, light to hold and it grips the cart nicely. the screen is clear and the sound is good...unfortunately it has no headphone jack which is a bit of a bummer.

I tried the yellow Final Fantasy VII cart on it and it looks like this:

I played five minutes of it and the opening tutorial teaches you how to run with 'b' so I'm guessing it is the updated English language version.

The system didn't come with any AV out leads but I have tons from similar systems already. I don't have a TV to try it on but I will give it a go when I move into my new place in a week or so.

I'm leaving China this week so I don't know how many more times I'll use Taobao in the future... :cry:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:49 am

Good job on that FF cart that is the translation, one of them at least, and due to the jibberish up top an earlier or earliest one, but at least it's not in Chinese. That handheld for what it is looks sharp.

I followed that link to taobao, makes me nervous even wanting to order something there as even google translated it's a mess. I did notice that Sega handheld, there is a US mostly equivalent. If you buy this: http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Gamer_Portable It's about as good as you get, sadly no SD card slot like their Genesis one to add whatever you want.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:39 pm

Tanooki wrote:Good job on that FF cart that is the translation, one of them at least, and due to the jibberish up top an earlier or earliest one, but at least it's not in Chinese. That handheld for what it is looks sharp.

I followed that link to taobao, makes me nervous even wanting to order something there as even google translated it's a mess. I did notice that Sega handheld, there is a US mostly equivalent. If you buy this: http://segaretro.org/Arcade_Gamer_Portable It's about as good as you get, sadly no SD card slot like their Genesis one to add whatever you want.

Taobao takes some setting up, the chrome autotranslate messes with it a little and it is finicky over what payment methods and identification it accepts. It took me a few months of experimenting to get it to work but once you do it is really easy to use.

The FC portable I bought seems to be a much cheaper variant of the FC mobile, identical except for the branding and the much lower price.

The version I have is reviewed here:

http://randomtoyreviews.blogspot.com/20 ... drive.html

I made a little faux par above. I said there was no headphone jack. There is. I was confusing it with the other system I ordered and then cancelled.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

by Thierry Henry Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Betagam7 wrote:The FC portable I bought seems to be a much cheaper variant of the FC mobile, identical except for the branding and the much lower price.

Yeah I was about to say that sure looks like the Hyperkin product in the pic below,

"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:05 am

Thierry Henry wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:The FC portable I bought seems to be a much cheaper variant of the FC mobile, identical except for the branding and the much lower price.

Yeah I was about to say that sure looks like the Hyperkin product in the pic below,

From what I've read the Hyperkin is the US licensed version with a different slot so that it can play NES games as opposed to the FC version that I have (Subor Mega Drive).

I'm fairly sure it's an identical product otherwise. It's a good little machine though. I'm enjoying playing through Kirby on it and after I beat Lufia 2 on my portable SFC I might tackle that FFVII fan demake on this one.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Hey I have a question for you since this comes out of where you're buying/living.

RS-1 Game Prince, has like 150+ NES/FC(and a few shady homebrew)s in this little handheld that uses 3AAA batteries and has a 2.5" screen and a TV connector to it. Video online makes it look fairly solid and they can be bought in the US (dealextreme or via ebay) for around $15+ shipping.

Do these suck, or for $15 are they worthy of a pocket toy to screw around with?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie_YutW5PTI

http://www.dx.com/p/2-5-handheld-game-c ... cJSjq3-pIw

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 52725.html

Also that Hyperkin version of that NES/Famicom handheld...where did that image get found? I can't find a listing for it on their own website. I'd love to get it to go along with my Supaboy.
Return to Game Deals