Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: Taobao deals, finds and purchases

by Betagam7 Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:16 am

Snatch1414 wrote:It looks like the CoolBoy from your original post is back on sale for like $12-15 USD, as well as a lot of other cool stuff. It looks like they have old Game Boy Colors for about the same price?? And GBA SP's refurbished?? I hope that's true because I'd probably buy one just to have an authentic shell to replace mine.

Do they ship to the US or not? I clicked the countries and it seemed to be only Asia.

I believe they do, but it might depend on the seller, much like ebay. Have you tried Aliexpress? It's a similar website but in English and many people used it to order the GB Boy successfully.

Post the link to the GBA SP's here and we can check you are definately buying the unti and it's not a refurbishment "service" where you have to send it to them.

I've had the same confusion trying to get a NGPC light mod done. Thankfully Nyukki helped me with that and it should be coming to me shortly.

Both Nyukki and I live in China so it is easier for us to get stuff from the website but posting out of China...it cuold be a long wait to get your stuff.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:20 am

Nyukki wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:portable Mega Drive/Genesis device

I used to have the same one, only with grey buttons like on the box.

Just received my copy of Rockman X which was 60 RMB. It looks like it was found in a pile of crap, though. Need to give it some thorough cleaning before it goes anywhere near my snes.

Is there a lot of text in the game? Or is it easy to play without understanding Japanese like the early Megaman titles. I might go down the same route as you for this month's club.

Yeah, I noticed there are some ridiculously cheap carts available but they sometimes look like they were hauled out of a sewer in a vat of gutter oil! :lol:

I imagine smoke damage is common here.
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:25 am

With carts generally dirt isn't a problem, just as long as the pins themselves aren't corroded. I gave it what I thought was a decent clean but it wouldn't fire up. Cleaned it again and it worked after a couple of tries.

The intro is completely in English with Japanese subs. The in game text when your chatting to Dr. Light's hologram is in Japanese. Generally language isn't too big an issue.
Weekend shmupper
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:17 am

I've had my first Taobao product kick the bucket today. Yes, after findinng it mostly useful for it's laser pointer this is now all that the PDP I purchased around a month ago now does after the screen died on me!

A reminder: this is what it used to look like.

At first I assumed the battery had merely died as the Coolboy and even the Gameboy does the same thing when it's out of juice. However after charging it the screen now just displays white or a jumble of coloured lines. The sound and everything else is still working but there is no longer any picture!

Great value there...I think it lasted less than a month!

Is this a common problem with cheapo handhelds? I remember Ashens having a similar problem with one of his on youtube.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:35 pm

Posted about this in the NEOGEO thread but I got this front-lit NGPC today from Taobao:

This is the link to the sellers store if anyone wants to order from him. Note that his prices advertise a modding service but he will send you a pre-modded system if you pay him more (as I did):

http://shop65828513.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.1000126.2.oRejRf
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:51 am

A couple of repro carts for me to play on my Fami DX

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:44 pm

Sucks about that one system but the NGPC looks nice, and those bootlegs of the SNES games look excellent. How accurate in person do those stickers look to be? I'm always happy to see someone provider a clean label service without halfassed up art or writing reproduction on it like a tool. I'm lazy, could use someone if it's great to do a NG Trilogy sticker for me so I don't have to buy the supplies and do it myself.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:12 am

Tanooki wrote:Sucks about that one system but the NGPC looks nice, and those bootlegs of the SNES games look excellent. How accurate in person do those stickers look to be? I'm always happy to see someone provider a clean label service without halfassed up art or writing reproduction on it like a tool. I'm lazy, could use someone if it's great to do a NG Trilogy sticker for me so I don't have to buy the supplies and do it myself.

Everything about these labels looks legit (although I'm not an expert on NA games as I'm originally a PAL gamer). I would never have known the carts were bootlegs which I know is a scary prospect for some people!

http://diycss.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.1000126.4.Fvf41J

This is the shop I've bought them from. I have bought Lufia, EVO and Demon's Crest so far and all of them look like perfect replicas front back and top.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:55 am

Hey if they're that good and accurate that's an amazing milestone I openly welcome. I'd rather be lazy and pay someone a little bit to get one done than have to buy the supplies and do it myself. I can too, I know a way that works right, but I don't feel like buying a small bulk order of the stuff to do it.

I just looked at his US Earthbound, close, but the red below entertainment system is too much and it's the wrong ESRB logo there being the two biggest standouts but it is damn near right.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:29 am

Tanooki wrote:Hey if they're that good and accurate that's an amazing milestone I openly welcome. I'd rather be lazy and pay someone a little bit to get one done than have to buy the supplies and do it myself. I can too, I know a way that works right, but I don't feel like buying a small bulk order of the stuff to do it.

I just looked at his US Earthbound, close, but the red below entertainment system is too much and it's the wrong ESRB logo there being the two biggest standouts but it is damn near right.

I also noticed that his Shadowrun cart has a mis-spelled label on the top in an unusual font.
I'm not sure whether it looked like that on the original or not as PAL games don't have that top label. I'm presuming he tries to replicate originals and where he can't find one to reference (Earthbound) just does goes for what he thinks would be right.
Return to Game Deals