Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Taobao deals, finds and purchases

by Tanooki Wed May 20, 2015 12:54 pm

It's a thumb thing.

How do you play? Do you roll around the extreme ends of the dpad, or are you a more common player who rocks over the center in a rolling motion kind of like twisting a joystick? If you play to the outside it won't happen, but if you move anywhere towards the center it'll go all over where you don't want it, or it'll get locked in a certain (first) direction you were at and stay there. Mario World does that, if you press like right and then duck(down) it'll keep moving. Gradius you'll be going say to the right, but you want to go up and left, it won't go there until right is truly depressed causing weird directions.

I can't speak for the RDP, I did a lot of research on it (aka: pokefami dx) and it has some pluses and minuses over the Supaboy. It will run FX games a bit better and others not so much like Stunt Race FX resets after 5min exactly like pressing reset, and Yoshi's Island is a graphical mess and bombs, but other stuff works fine. And on the Supaboy Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SDD1) won't work right(annoying, like the game), but it's fine on yours. They more or less even out on what works or doesn't. I didn't know it had a really poor slot cover as the Supaboy I have is solid and it has a slide lock on back to keep the cart in there too.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu May 28, 2015 3:52 am

Tanooki wrote:It's a thumb thing.

How do you play? Do you roll around the extreme ends of the dpad, or are you a more common player who rocks over the center in a rolling motion kind of like twisting a joystick? If you play to the outside it won't happen, but if you move anywhere towards the center it'll go all over where you don't want it, or it'll get locked in a certain (first) direction you were at and stay there. Mario World does that, if you press like right and then duck(down) it'll keep moving. Gradius you'll be going say to the right, but you want to go up and left, it won't go there until right is truly depressed causing weird directions.

I can't speak for the RDP, I did a lot of research on it (aka: pokefami dx) and it has some pluses and minuses over the Supaboy. It will run FX games a bit better and others not so much like Stunt Race FX resets after 5min exactly like pressing reset, and Yoshi's Island is a graphical mess and bombs, but other stuff works fine. And on the Supaboy Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SDD1) won't work right(annoying, like the game), but it's fine on yours. They more or less even out on what works or doesn't. I didn't know it had a really poor slot cover as the Supaboy I have is solid and it has a slide lock on back to keep the cart in there too.

I can't speak for western FX releases but I've picked both of these Japanese carts up from Taobao for 30 RMB each.

They both play fine on my Pokefami DX. I can confirm that Wildtrax (Stunt Race FX) doesn't reset in the manner you described above (pleasantly, it's menus are also entirely in English!).

Thankfully, I'm still not having your dpad issues. Played quite a bit of Super Mario World and not had any issues with the direction sticking. the only thing I've found tricky to do so far is perform dragon punches on SF2 (but that could just be because I've been spoiled by playing MoTM on the NGPC for so long).
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Thu May 28, 2015 11:11 am

Man, I need to get on this thread, nearly everything in my house is bought from Taobao, not just gaming. Used to get my Inner Mongolian yak jerky from Taobao before I turned vegan. That shit was the bomb.

BTW that Gamecube handheld, very swish. I've bought stuff from that guy before and his skills are solid.
Weekend shmupper
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu May 28, 2015 11:36 am

Nyukki wrote:BTW that Gamecube handheld, very swish. I've bought stuff from that guy before and his skills are solid.

In researching it, the new age Gamecube modchips allow sd card loading and discdrive bypassing. So yeah, thats a legit Gamecube in a slightly larger than original GB case. That is really really awesome.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu May 28, 2015 12:54 pm

I had no idea that existed. That's excellent. I wonder what the largest SD card that thing could take would be...32 or 64GB? That'll definitely hold a few games with GC games coming in their smaller sizes per disc.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Since it is Swiss 0.3, it is likely the fat32 version so 64 gigs. So you will have 58gigs usable, and direct dumps of cube games are 1.4gb, you can fit about 41 discs on there. a 32gig card will hold about 20.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri May 29, 2015 1:17 am

Nyukki wrote:Man, I need to get on this thread, nearly everything in my house is bought from Taobao, not just gaming. Used to get my Inner Mongolian yak jerky from Taobao before I turned vegan. That shit was the bomb.

BTW that Gamecube handheld, very swish. I've bought stuff from that guy before and his skills are solid.

Do tell us what...

Actually, you might be able to help me with another problem I'm having. I ordered a NGPC light mod from a Taobao-er a short time back but he got in contact and through our garbled communications via translators he wants me to send him 300 RMB seperately from the 200RMB the actual taobao page asks for.

I don't mind doing this but I can't figure out how. Do you happen to know how to send money via Alipay when it isn't linked to an actual taobao purchase. I can't see an option anywhere on the alipay website, unlike with paypal where it's very easy.

He seems trustworthy as his feedback is good but it does frustrate me how people will advertise one price on taobao then ask for more later.

EDIT:

This arrived in the post today for 90RMB.

It's a reproduction cart (or so I assume), but interesting as the guy I bought it from makes several English language repro carts. I'm thinking of buying a few more as this one seems like good quality. Might grab Earthbound and E.V.O while I'm at it, since only the first Mother game is fully translated on the cart I bought for GBA.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:57 am

So I took delivery of this portable Mega Drive/Genesis device last night. It was 150RMB

The seller listed "American" or "Japanese" as the options. I chose "American" although it seems all that this got me is an English Menu for the Roms. The games themselves are the Japanese versions, so loading up Streets of Rage still gets you "Bare Knuckle" and some of the other games have Japanese or English text.

There are sixty eight games on board and none of them are repeats. (Bizarrely one of the boxes many lies is to claim that the game features 16 in 1 SEGA Games - underselling itself on its own packaging).

It also claims to be "multi-format" which I'm hoping means multi-region.

This is what the system looks like (not as dusty as the picture makes it appear). It came with two horribly applied screen protectors that I removed.

It comes with all the usual stuff, headphone jack, lithium battery and charger, AV outs for a TV (I don't own one so can't test it).

Interestingly there is no SD card slot as with the Most recent overpriced licensed handhelds you can get in the west. Instead they have opted for this:

A working cartrisge slot for Megadrive/Genesis games. Again, what regions it will accept I don't know as I don't own any games for the system. I will order one from Taobao and update.

Now the drawbacks:

Sound

You guessed it, like pretty much all of these devices the sound emulation is awful. Mostly the music but also occasionally the effects. There are all kinds of missing beats on SoR and Sonic is an aural atrocity if you've ever heard the music of the original.
Sadly this seems to be an issue on any Genesis portable that isn't called Nomad.

Screen

While not as small as the screen on the last Genesis emulating console I posted here, the 2.5 inch screen is too small to properly display the resolution on some genesis games. Anything with very small text looks terrible and corrupted (Fatal Labryth)...games with larger sprites such as Sonic and Golden Axe look fine.

Emulation

Here's another weird thing. Several games seem to omit there title screen completely. Sonic loads up and the game instantly displays the Green Hill Zone sign. Many games suffer from screen tearing and other graphical effects when there is scrolling. Again, some games like Sonic are fine. Streets of Rage's background noticeably judders every time the screen scrolls. Poor. Would it be different with a cart?

D-pad

It's the same "button" style dpad as I got with the rather good NES portable I showed on this thread...with one problem.

When I play Ms. Pacman the game is rendered unplayable because for some reason the game constantly reads up and down as left and right. It makes the precise four way direction of Pacman impossible and I can't even complete the first stage as a result. I haven't seen it affect any other game than this but can only presume that the dpad is at fault.

Overall then the cartridge slot makes it a pick-up-able curiosity for me as I can now buy Geneis/Megadrive carts and play them in some form...but this is far from the genesis solution I'm looking for, but not the worst toy ever to mess around with...and I do like the scrolling beat-em-ups and shooters on it, most of which work well.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

by Snatch1414 Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:21 pm

It looks like the CoolBoy from your original post is back on sale for like $12-15 USD, as well as a lot of other cool stuff. It looks like they have old Game Boy Colors for about the same price?? And GBA SP's refurbished?? I hope that's true because I'd probably buy one just to have an authentic shell to replace mine.

Do they ship to the US or not? I clicked the countries and it seemed to be only Asia.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Nyukki
128-bit

by Nyukki Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:54 pm

Betagam7 wrote:portable Mega Drive/Genesis device

I used to have the same one, only with grey buttons like on the box.

Just received my copy of Rockman X which was 60 RMB. It looks like it was found in a pile of crap, though. Need to give it some thorough cleaning before it goes anywhere near my snes.
Weekend shmupper
Return to Game Deals