Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Taobao and Aliexpress deals, finds and purchases

by Tanooki Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Well stateside they cost like $50-60 at most places. Overseas it's pretty dirt cheap without the cartridge. It's quite solid and surprised me when I got my hands on it.

I also cracked open that famicom bootleg, interesting board and I can't seem to find stuff as of yet about it on google search. It's branded Mindkids(TM) on there, has a few other etchings like a date of 20160805, and YH2018A in the top right corner. In the board itself not in white etch also shows SMD168L3. Kind of curious about the thing as it seems to be of decent quality.

Here's the cart opened up and the system too.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:34 am

Well all of the things I'd now forgotten buying in the 11/11 sales have started dropping through the door. Today the postman brought me a SNES English translated repro of a game with possibly the longest intro before saving I've ever played: Chaos Seed!

I also got a new screen for my SwanCrystal...or possibly a screen protector. I can't figure out which.

Oh...and the Ocarina of Time. :lol:

fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:30 pm

I am still pending three things from 11/11, none gaming related. Loving my crazy cctv lenses.

Betagam, can you link me to that Ocarina of Time? I am super curious.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:45 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:I am still pending three things from 11/11, none gaming related. Loving my crazy cctv lenses.

Betagam, can you link me to that Ocarina of Time? I am super curious.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-Blue-12-Holes-Ocarina-Kiln-fired-Ceramic-Alto-C-Legend-of-Zelda-Zelda-Ocarina-Flute/32229120833.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.QpbC3U

The sound quality isn't crash hot but it's playable and a nice prop. Sadly the song booklet it comes with teaches you such famous Zelda melodies as "Twinkle Twinkle little star" rather than Epona's Song. You can find them all online though.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Got some Gameboy bootleg/repro carts today:

Super Mario Land DX (the romhack for Super Mario Land Colour) - a colourised version of the original.

Gargoyle's Quest 2: The Demon Darkness - an English language fan translated version of the platform/RPG hybrid.

Trip World: Just a bootleg of the super expensive platformer from Sunsoft

For the Frog the Bell Tolls: Very excited to get this one. A fan translation of the action RPG whose engine was used to create Link's Awakening and the other Zelda GB games.

Not sure why Trip World seems to have a battery...

Got to love that Mario artwork! :lol:

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:53 pm

Neat picks, Beta.
Betagam7 wrote:Not sure why Trip World seems to have a battery...

I've never played Trip World, but the battery could only have a few functions. Either it's to save game progress, to save high scores, or to keep a real time clock ticking. Are there any scoreboards or time events in Trip World?
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:22 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:Neat picks, Beta.
Betagam7 wrote:Not sure why Trip World seems to have a battery...

I've never played Trip World, but the battery could only have a few functions. Either it's to save game progress, to save high scores, or to keep a real time clock ticking. Are there any scoreboards or time events in Trip World?

I don't think that there are any save games in Trip World. It's a little odd because they usually only put save batteries in the games that need it (i.e, the Mario game doesn't have it while Frog does). Perhaps it was just a case of using the parts they had.

I know others dislike it but I kind of like the stylings of the other 3 how they go out of their way to mark themselves as repros with the little side code. It won't stop me from displaying them in my nail varnish stands. :)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:45 pm

What's with the Gargoyles Quest 2 title, is that a unique game or did the Japanese get the NES cartridge on Gameboy too? Or is it just a hack?

Also loving that Super Saddam Hussein Bros DX sticker. :P

I actually own a legit copy of Trip World, a rotten shame it's one of the rare few collectards have price wrecked on Gameboy as it's one of the best platformers on the system hands down and a rotten shame it skipped the US entirely. The other, I'll never understand why Nintendo was stupid enough not to release that in the states as everything I've read seems to agree it's a gem of a release.

By the way if you want more quality fakes try this US seller, he's actually in town here where I live. Lots of solid Gameboy and Gameboy Color games with all new parts put into english we didn't get. Last Bible 2, Stranded Kids(Survival Kids) 2 for GBC are notable: http://www.gamereproductions.com/index. ... gory_id=12 And on Gameboy Cave Noire, God Medicine, (the Frog game you got), Final Battle Kunio, Wizardry, Glory of Heracles, and GB Bomberman 3 are there too http://www.gamereproductions.com/index. ... gory_id=11

Prices are pretty cheap all things considered. Usually $30/ea, but are $19.50 right now with a holiday sale in effect.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:35 am

Tanooki wrote:What's with the Gargoyles Quest 2 title, is that a unique game or did the Japanese get the NES cartridge on Gameboy too? Or is it just a hack?

Also loving that Super Saddam Hussein Bros DX sticker. :P

I actually own a legit copy of Trip World, a rotten shame it's one of the rare few collectards have price wrecked on Gameboy as it's one of the best platformers on the system hands down and a rotten shame it skipped the US entirely. The other, I'll never understand why Nintendo was stupid enough not to release that in the states as everything I've read seems to agree it's a gem of a release.

By the way if you want more quality fakes try this US seller, he's actually in town here where I live. Lots of solid Gameboy and Gameboy Color games with all new parts put into english we didn't get. Last Bible 2, Stranded Kids(Survival Kids) 2 for GBC are notable: http://www.gamereproductions.com/index. ... gory_id=12 And on Gameboy Cave Noire, God Medicine, (the Frog game you got), Final Battle Kunio, Wizardry, Glory of Heracles, and GB Bomberman 3 are there too http://www.gamereproductions.com/index. ... gory_id=11

Prices are pretty cheap all things considered. Usually $30/ea, but are $19.50 right now with a holiday sale in effect.

The same games are available for about $7 a pop on Aliexpress. They've actually gone down in price since the ali-express sale! The only difference is they aren't trying to look like a real cart with the Game logo instead of Game Boy Color.

Gargoyle's Quest 2 is, I believe, Gargoyle's Quest 1 with a bunch of expanded content that improves on the original. It was only released in japan, so this is the fan translated version.

EDIT: No, I'm wrong, according to Hardcore Gaming 101 it is a full expanded GB port of the NES sequel.
Last edited by Betagam7 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:34 am

Tanooki wrote:Bad game selection aside and sneaky renames (along with baseless Mega Man art) that looks kind of interesting for a knockoff collector.

I have to wonder, what's the name of the Mario game on there that's SMB1 redone with SMB3 visuals? I'd love to find out about that, but a name would help for a google search.

Very belated reply but I just hooked this up again the other day and captured a quick screenshot:

Perhaps someone can identify?
Return to Game Deals