16-bit

Re: GB Boy (backlit Game Boy Color clone) 20.99USD free ship

by jamespoo Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:35 am

ook
ryanflucas
16-bit

by ryanflucas Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm a bit late to the party, but when I go to the item page, I don't see colour models, just the original GB Pocket clone.

Those of you who own this, do you like it better then a custom backlit GB Pocket? I was thinking of installing my own backlight modules until I came across this. I would be primarily playing original gray-scale GB games.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:47 am

ryanflucas wrote:I'm a bit late to the party, but when I go to the item page, I don't see colour models, just the original GB Pocket clone.

Looks like he's all out of the GB Boy Colour.
TC should remove the link.

ryanflucas wrote:Those of you who own this, do you like it better then a custom backlit GB Pocket? I was thinking of installing my own backlight modules until I came across this. I would be primarily playing original gray-scale GB games.

It is pretty neat, but your enjoyment will really depend on how you feel about the stretched screen (and in my case, pixel placement--see my other posts).

A Back-lit GBP would be really nice though, especially if you could choose the color of the LEDs.
But be warned, it's kind of difficult (removing the back film of the LCD) and very easy to screw up (it's quite probable to scratch the LCD or to tear ribbon cables, at least judging by my pathetic attempt).

I'd like a GBP with color changing LEDs one day, but I doubt I'll ever make it happen.
...just another lost soul...
ryanflucas
16-bit

by ryanflucas Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:13 am

A guy on eBay is selling these for $63 shipped. Before I bite, anyone displeased with theirs and want to give me a better deal? I like the solid color models best (yellow, blue green) but would consider all.

I don't mind the stretched pixel issue, I'm more interested in having a nice backlit handheld to play the old grayscale games. Doesn't need to be perfect, but a GBC would be much more comfortable to me then the AGS-101 backlit SP units I have.

I have a bunch of GB Pockets in various colors. I haven't tried the backlighting, but it may turn into a project I don't have much time for. I was looking at backlighting kits from here.

I used to own a Game Boy Light (with indiglo style lighting) back in the day, but it was never bright enough for my liking.

I also have a Retron5 on preorder so I can play GB games on my HDTV, but having a decent handheld is also nice.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:01 pm

ryanflucas wrote:A guy on eBay is selling these for $63 shipped. Before I bite, anyone displeased with theirs and want to give me a better deal? I like the solid color models best (yellow, blue green) but would consider all.

Damn, that's ridiculous.
I am somewhat disappointed in mine, but like it for certain games and for the convenience.
Plus, mine has a dead pixel, which would probably bug the hell out of you. I wish you luck in finding one at a reasonable price though.

ryanflucas wrote:I don't mind the stretched pixel issue, I'm more interested in having a nice backlit handheld to play the old grayscale games.

I must be the only one who is bothered by the checkerboard pixels on the LCD. Several cheap LCD screens seem to use that type of layout; and while I can tolerate it, the screen just looks grainy to me. It's actually MORE annoying to me on games with lower pixel counts, like GBC/GB. Also, straight lines look more jagged to me.
All I'm saying is that when you are used to the even-stacked pixels, it's noticeable.
...but maybe it's a small price to pay for the back-lighting.

ryanflucas wrote:I used to own a Game Boy Light (with indiglo style lighting) back in the day, but it was never bright enough for my liking.

Always wanted one, but could never justify the price. If it's not bright enough, maybe a modded GBP is the way to go though.
Overload
128-bit

by Overload Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Owning two SPs, I have no use for one of these, but that doesn't stop me from wanting one... $15 shipped is ridiculously cheap.
MoNsTeRzKHAOS
32-bit

by MoNsTeRzKHAOS Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm seeing MegaDrives from the same seller, do you guys think these are official Sega Megadrives just with a however many in one cart? Because at $35 I would definitely buy one. I'll leave the link here. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/GS-classic-sega-video-game-player-brand-new-can-16-bit-game-classical-games-free-shipping/426976_1330345489.html
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:17 pm

MoNsTeRzKHAOS wrote:I'm seeing MegaDrives from the same seller, do you guys think these are official Sega Megadrives just with a however many in one cart?

Uh, you read the listing right? Bootleg city.
Overload
128-bit

by Overload Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:48 pm

$14.99 shipped, backlit, built-in games... I couldn't resist. Can't wait to get this bad boy in so I can review it / play some new games.

EDIT: Reading others' posts it looks like there aren't actually any bundled games. Ah well, it'll still be nice to have a backlit game boy.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:22 am

Overload wrote:$14.99 shipped, backlit, built-in games... I couldn't resist. Can't wait to get this bad boy in so I can review it / play some new games.

I'm pretty sure that the one from the original post is now a "Game Boy only" model, as in no color games. TC really needs to remove the link.

It's still a decent item though, and looks like it keeps the original square aspect ratio. Just don't expect to play "GBC only" games. I'm also doubtful that it's even back-lit.

For those that still want one,
Here's the latest link (as of 12/29/13) for the back-lit color system:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 55152.html
Return to Game Deals