Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
J T
Next-Gen

The ongoing "AWESOME DEAL AT GOG!" Thread

by J T Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:27 pm

This thread is to compliment my other AWESOME DEAL thread, since I like GOG and Steam both.

For those of you that don't know about this great site, GOG stands for "Good Old Games" and their website is http://www.gog.com The cool thing about GOG is that they always have low prices (usually $5.99 or $10) and you download the game DRM free. That means you download the game and it is yours. No sign in needed. No disc required to play. No limit to the amount of backup copies you can make.

With the rampant piracy on PCs, this kind of DRM-free business is almost unheard of, so GOG deserves your support. If you've ever bought retail PC software only to find out that the game either runs slow or won't work because of the DRM in the software that YOU PAID FOR that was only put there to prevent the OTHER people that didn't pay for it from being able to use it, then you know how frustrating DRM's anti-piracy measures can be. GOG understands that if you pay for it, you shouldn't have to suffer for the people that didn't. That's the main reason why I love GOG.

GOG also runs a great service. Most games have secondary downloads where you can get the manual, desktop wallpapers, soundtracks, and various artwork, strategy guides, and other extras all as a bonus for your purchase. The games are older, which means you don't need ridiculously good system specs to run them. Nevertheless, the games are designed to work for modern XP and Vista systems. They even provide you a virtual shelf to display your games, which I find to be a charming touch (my virtual shelf is in the attached picture).

To start this thread off, there is a sale on all games published by JoWood this week. They will be 30% off until the end of Monday, October 26th, 2009.
https://www.gog.com/en/promo/jowood_week

Additionally, they run a "Hidden Gem of the Week" special. This week's featured game is Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator. It will be a dollar off the regular price until the end of Sunday, October 25th, 2009.
https://www.gog.com/en/editorial/hidden ... erra_core/
Attachments
GOG Shelf.jpg
GOG Shelf.jpg (34.61 KiB) Viewed 32611 times
Last edited by J T on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
J T
Next-Gen

Re: The ongoing "AWESOME DEAL AT GOG!" Thread

by J T Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Oh, by the way, if you just want to give the service a try without paying for anything, Beneath a Steel Sky is free:

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Megarace 1+2 $5.99... that is amazing.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Why is there never Mac support for anything? I have no way to play these games without spending a couple of hundred dollars to buy an operating system to use on bootcamp. I won't be doing that anytime soon. The sad part is that I really would like to try some of these.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:07 pm

jmbarnes101 wrote:Why is there never Mac support for anything? I have no way to play these games without spending a couple of hundred dollars to buy an operating system to use on bootcamp. I won't be doing that anytime soon. The sad part is that I really would like to try some of these.

...because they're PC games? Not trying to be a jerk, but making a few tweaks to get them cooperating on XP or Vista if they were originally a DOS game is feasible. Porting them to a Mac or licensing some sort of pseudo Windows to Mac OS wrapper is no easy feat.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:18 pm

jmbarnes101 wrote:Why is there never Mac support for anything? I have no way to play these games without spending a couple of hundred dollars to buy an operating system to use on bootcamp. I won't be doing that anytime soon. The sad part is that I really would like to try some of these.

If you want to play games you really should have gone with Windows.

Anyway, I know a lot of these games are DOS compatable, thus if you can track down the original versions on eBay or for download, just throw DOSBox on your Mac and you are good to go.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:08 pm

I know many of the titles are old DOS titles, like Descent 1 & 2. Their packaging includes Dosbox with appropriate config and it inserts the nice entries into the Vista Games window. So for games like that you should be able to download the files and load up Dosbox (or a source port, as I did for Descent for better joystick support). However, I am not sure if the installer will work on a Mac; it's an .exe file.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:19 pm

MrPopo wrote:I know many of the titles are old DOS titles, like Descent 1 & 2. Their packaging includes Dosbox with appropriate config and it inserts the nice entries into the Vista Games window. So for games like that you should be able to download the files and load up Dosbox (or a source port, as I did for Descent for better joystick support). However, I am not sure if the installer will work on a Mac; it's an .exe file.

Ok I now love this site.

DRM free. Inserts into Games Explorer...

Awesome!!!
Ramatut4001
128-bit

by Ramatut4001 Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:40 pm

And if you already bought a Mac, what's a few hundred more dollars? :wink:
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:

...because they're PC games? Not trying to be a jerk, but making a few tweaks to get them cooperating on XP or Vista if they were originally a DOS game is feasible. Porting them to a Mac or licensing some sort of pseudo Windows to Mac OS wrapper is no easy feat.

It's not just here though, it's true for Steam as well. I'd love to play some of these and have no way to do so. I've had PC's in the past and they've always epically failed me so I switched to Mac only to find little to no good games actually available unless I find a Windows operating system for Boot Camp. It's frustrating.

Oh well, at least I have Star Craft and Diablo I/II.
Last edited by jmbarnes101 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
Return to Game Deals