Video Game old Magazines, Sell to trade?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
benderx
Next-Gen

Video Game old Magazines, Sell to trade?

Post by benderx »

What do you with your magazines in general. I have stacks ( 94-05) of EGM, few gamefan, tips & trick, gamepro, few pocketgamer, playstation official, PSM, few Nintendo power (some late 90s n few 90s). Do you guys sell or trade them or ebay? They just take up space, I prefer to not to display them in nostalgila ways.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
bmoc
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game old Magazines, Sell to trade?

Post by bmoc »

I kept the Gamepro magazines that I had from a subscription as a kid. I sold almost all of the Nintendo Power magazines I have come across because they are worth more and I did not have as much nostalgia for them. If I come across Gamepro's in the wild, which is almost never, I would probably hang onto them if they are not duplicates. I managed to snag a periodical shelf from a library moving sale for $5 so I keep them displayed. In short, so long as I have nostalgia and room, I keep my game magazines. Same for strategy guides.

I have only gone out of my way for one issue of Gamepro because it filled a gap in my collection. It took a while to find because that particular issue came with a Michael Jordan card that was promoting his Chaos in the Windy City game. All the MJ collectors out there were snatching them up on eBay for stupid prices hoping to get the card.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I personally have a nice little collection of EGM, NP, and DC magazines that have a spot in my game room where they are proudly displayed. Pulling down a old mag and flipping through it late at night is one of my favorite things because you get to see much more than just the old games... you get to see the old hype for games that ended up becoming classics or duds, funny ads, old reviews, artwork, letters from gamers, etc.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I still have all mine. It's a lot. I need to find something better to do with them, but I don't want to get rid of them, either. I will likely never get rid of my Nintendo Power mags, too much nostalgia wrapped up in them.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I trashed all mine earlier this year when I moved again. Still sad about it. :(
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I tend to buy magazines if I see 'em in thrift stores, too, but that's relatively rare. I still love coming across those old '80s and '90s mags.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I'm bought far more than I've got rid of. I get cheap magazine holders from IKEA and put them in one of my basement storage closets I built shelves into. Same storage unit as some of my dormant consoles and accessories. It's kind of a library of sorts.

Eventually I wanted to scan duplicates I have that I can't already find PDFs for.

One of these days I should dig through them again. It's been a while.

The family and I are planning on getting a new place in couple years. In addition, to that, the kids will be a bit older so I won't have to worry as much about them damaging them. But right now, I'm just worried about space and damage :)
marurun

Post by marurun »

One of the problems with magazines is they tend to be on acidic paper and don't have good longevity.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

I've kept the ones I had as a kid, and I just keep them in magazine filers (like these, but not those exact ones). They all fit in one, and they're shelved next to the two or three filers' worth of old comics I have. All in all my magazines/comics don't even take up even one bookshelf.

Moving them to vertical storage like this was amazing, though. Before this I just had them in organized piles on shelves, separated by bookends. It was a nightmare to find anything.

I love flipping through the magazines not only to read commentary on stuff I loved, but to see what else is around it. There's a ton of material in there that didn't register for me as a kid, which I either now know about and am intrigued by, or continues to baffle me. It's like a time capsule.

I only collect Sega Visions, though. Someday I'll complete the set.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would