Why is everyone selling everything right now?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

Post by 8bit »

Exhuminator wrote:So on that note, I come here explicitly to read about people playing retro games, and to discuss related retro gaming archeology. But more often it seems members here just wanna talk about playing the latest new releases for the latest new hardware. Which is totally OKAY, but it does seem a bit disingenuous given the original intent of the site.

Not sure about it being disingenuous but I understand where you are trying to come from. Personally I like to talk ALL games here because its with a group of people who are smart enough to appreciate the classics and have a real understanding where gaming has come from over the past 30+ years. You're not going to to get that amoung the teens and casual gamers on Kotaku, IGN, and other mainstream gaming sites.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

the7k wrote:I'm too old to be getting into shouting matches over something so trivial.

Shouting matches? Did I miss something?
8bit wrote:Not sure about it being disingenuous but I understand where you are trying to come from.

This is where I'm coming from:

To preemptively play devil's advocate; maybe that banner is only meant to reflect the guides, and not the theme of the forum itself. Alrighty.

With the forum overall, I'm personally happy if people are playing games and talking about their experiences and opinions with those games. Relative to this particular site, I enjoy reading more about old games than new ones. However, I can appreciate unbiased opinions on new releases too.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Time for the next million dollar question: what is a retro gaming lifestyle?
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

mjmjr25 wrote:1. Me personally; no. I am def. playing more PC, particularly Hearthstone, but i'm only clearing out SAT / DC stuff I'm just not playing very much.

2. The market is DEFINITELY more BUYER heavy than seller heavy currently. Every forum i'm on has less selling activity than in years past and when good items come up, or good prices, things move very quickly. This is assuredly part of the reason ALL prices continue to climb across the board.

3. There are MANY dudes on Atari-Age and KLOV in their mid to late 50's. Many dudes on Neo-Geo; PC Engine FX and Arcade Otaku in their late 30's to early 40's. These forums have hundreds of active gamers / collectors still buying and collecting stuff. When you consider larger more active forums like NintendoAge are still growing and their core membership are mid to late 20's; I think we are probably 15 years from a slow down and 20-25 from a crash when the twenty-somethings (the now toddlers) don't have the memories we have as it'll all be digital. Even my kids at 6-13 yo all have memories of playing / collecting Wii / Wii U / 3DS, etc.

4. mas Noise sells his collection once and for all every couple years.

yeah, i really don't have my finger on the pulse as far as when things crash, but a lotta this sounds legit
and # 4, haha
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Ack wrote:Time for the next million dollar question: what is a retro gaming lifestyle?

It involves alot of the konami code, ninja turtle cartoons, mountain dew, and most likely some wicked fantasy posters that feature dragons and scantily clad women.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:Time for the next million dollar question: what is a retro gaming lifestyle?

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Well had a lot of thought and now I guess it's my turn.
Have sold my ps1 and ps2 collection off. And before I even put it here to post a friend of mine made an offer and I went with it.
I'm pretty much have just gone with handheld. For what I have going on in life it's what I need. I still have my Atari and up to my n64 with the everdrives so I'm not totally out but since my friends when they come over is all that they play as well as me. I'd figure it's money just sitting there and it's money I want for backup in the bank and want to have nice things for the house.

The one thing that my other buddy mike is doing for me is that I am buying a raspberry pi and getting me a bar arcade with all those Roms anyways so I am good on that.
I might just keep the dreamcast because I have a bunch of burned games on it but as far as all the other disc based systems they are all gone. It feels great to have money in my pocket, I can finally afford the bar top arcade, and I have my everdrives and I've got a 3ds and a psp.
Now I have room to put a mini bar in my game room.
travis_stywall
16-bit

Post by travis_stywall »

I knew a couple of resellers and they mostly did it for the easy money. I've only done it when I was strapped for cash and needed money to pay rent. At one point in my life I was selling things so much that my girlfriend started asking me why do I even buy things, because I was just going to sell it in a couple of months. That shit cut deep and I haven't sold anything recently, unless I have duplicates.
warlord
8-bit

Post by warlord »

Not going to sell! Not even considering to sell!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Yeah, I'm not planning on selling much either. I'll just horde my precious cartridges forever like Smaug.
Exhuminator wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:Oh, not this pedantic old discussion again. We never resolve this matter, and we never will. It's all subjective.

Ha ha :lol: You got me Ex. I did sound like a meme.