Article on TurboGrafx-16 25th Anniversary

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Ziggy

Re: Article on TurboGrafx-16 25th Anniversary

Post by Ziggy »

The article was a good read. The driving point in it, on why the TG16 failed, was because of NEC. It's interesting to know that the console could have been MUCH more, but was instead starved until it died.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

It's a sad read.

I do remember seeing a bit of TurboGrafx 16 stuff in magazines. But I also snagged GamePro and Game Players a lot, whom just had sections promoting importing. (Though I never even saw GameFan in stores at the time)

The most interesting part of the article was Victor Ireland working for TTi.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

TSTR wrote:The only game I can specifically recall hearing about was Bonk. I suppose that's a testament to the poor marketing.
Same, pretty much. I was vaguely aware of Bonk and advertisements for Air Zonk in magazines (I couldn't even remember that title and had to search to figure it out), but as a second-grader I somehow got the impression that the console was for teenagers and other impossibly old and mature human beings who were more into scares and gore than silly fun -- probably due to the western console redesign the article talked about, but also things like that broody commercial, which I must have seen but don't remember. I just didn't think about it much. I didn't even know the Turbo Express existed until I read that article! All I remember is the passing thought of "Oh, that's not for me," and then... poof.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

They had a TG16 section in the Sears Christmas Catalog and I recall wondering why they would name their sports games "TV Sports Football, Hockey, etc..."

Bonk and Splatterhouse were the names we knew best. My buddy was a big gamer (well, his parents enabled him and bought all this stuff) and I remember he even had a Turbo Express (!).
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Finally got a chance to read that article - definitely a must-read imo. Really disappointing how TTi (essentially Hudson) wouldn't fund anything in the US down the stretch.