A scholarly article on piracy that uses RB forum threads!

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
J T
Next-Gen

Re: A scholarly article on piracy that uses RB forum threads

Post by J T »

General Chaos wrote: For the most part I stopped posting around the time I collected threads to ensure that I didn't lead authors or create biases. My goal was to be an unobtrusive observer.

My rationale for remaining anonymous as the researcher was also to avoid the Hawthorne Effect (i.e., people changing their behavior because they know they are being observed).

Surely the Hawthorne effect and possible intrusions of personal bias had less of an effect on your subjects than the subtraction of your previous participant-observer status within the subcultural community... which is my academic way of saying "WE MISSED YOU!" :D
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
General Chaos
128-bit

Post by General Chaos »

J T wrote:Surely the Hawthorne effect and possible intrusions of personal bias had less of an effect on your subjects than the subtraction of your previous participant-observer status within the subcultural community... which is my academic way of saying "WE MISSED YOU!" :D

That's a really good point, and not a way I've looked at it before. The middle ground between pure unobtrusiveness and natural participant is a place I've had difficulty navigating. The good news is I've got a lifetime of scholarly work ahead of me to improve on that and many other fronts.

Edit: by the way, I've been reading threads now and realizing why I enjoyed this community so much back then. One of the best and most mature I've found. Looks like I'm going to dip back in and post/lurk. On a related note, I don't plan to do any more research here but if I do, I'll let everyone in on it before hand. I think an active engagement in any discussion I'd be interested in would be the most beneficial way to go about it, for all parties involved.

So there you go. Thanks to those who filled me in on the community discovering my article, and I hope everyone is willing to welcome me back, in whatever capacity I end up posting/contributing.

Edit #2: It seems I can't stay away from this topic and now all of you have gotten me to thinking about this subject more. One thing I mentioned in the article was that companies could build brand loyalty and keep their characters/games relevant through making old software free. Recently there's been some interesting examples of this. Even EA gave away The Sims 2 and every expansion, and I strongly suspect it was to generate interest in the franchise as the release of The Sims 4 approaches. Blizzard has released a couple of their retro titles through Battlenet, again I suspect to get people ON Battlenet and also perhaps to drum up some nostalgia, because that's good for business. Consumers have been doing this same thing on their own for years though, by sharing (i.e., pirating) games. As one of the members here prompted in the article I wrote, if not for emulation, how popular would some of these franchises and characters that saw their best days in the past (e.g., sonic)?

Ok, I'm stepping away now. Still would be happy to discuss this if anyone has further thoughts or suggestions.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Luke wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Luke, you are the person cited as a self-professed Christian or some such.

I nearly busted a gut when he cited me as "the preacher".

Great. Now that I've read that I'm going to picture you like this:
preacherLuke.jpg
preacherLuke.jpg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 3809 times
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

I had a long response all typed out and then realized people are probably tired of that crap. So, I will just say that although I still feel that government funds are heavily misappropriated on piracy, I have had a change of heart on my rather naive claims that "some rich guy in the Hamptons won't get his pool." Considering the closing down and bankruptcy of some really good publishing houses that made games I enjoyed playing, I have to wonder if piracy didn't have a hand in that.

So, that guy in the Hamptons might have lost his hard earned career, or his home. The game developers who worked long and hard definitely had a major set back and that saddens me. I purchased games then, I purchase games now. I was never in support of piracy...but, I have a better perspective on the possible consequences of it and just how high stakes the game industry can be. This makes me think that something should be done, I'm still not sure what though.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Michi wrote:
Luke wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Luke, you are the person cited as a self-professed Christian or some such.

I nearly busted a gut when he cited me as "the preacher".

Great. Now that I've read that I'm going to picture you like this:
preacherLuke.jpg

Might have to change my avatar.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Luke wrote:Might have to change my avatar.

:D

Preacher Luke avatar is hilarious!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The church of Cobra Kai.
General Chaos
128-bit

Post by General Chaos »

Gunstar Green wrote:The church of Cobra Kai.

I think I might have visited that church at some point, or at least gone to a Cobra Kai themed church summer camp.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

And the Sensei saith unto his disciple, "sweep the leg," and he didst as he was bidden.
Kreese 19:84

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Key-Glyph wrote:
And the Sensei saith unto his disciple, "sweep the leg," and he didst as he was bidden.
Kreese 19:84

And from the side of the Mont, a man seeking the attention of the youth shouted "It is over John, get him burial clothes!"
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.