The toxicity of online gaming.

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Re: The toxicity of online gaming.

Post by Violent By Design »

MrPopo wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:It isn't a matter of being able to emotionally handle a 10 year old telling you they are going to fuck your mother, it is whether or not you are going to allow a 10 year old to say that.
Don't play with 10 year olds or use an ignore button. Both are very convenient and reliable options.

Or we could promote a culture where people aren't assholes in the first place.

I think world peace is a few console generations away. :wink:
SoltanGris
16-bit

Post by SoltanGris »

Fragems wrote:
SoltanGris wrote:People aren't that toxic in real life.

Actually that person you hearing online is probably closer to what that person is like then if you were to meet them in reality.

What you are seeing online is basically the uncensored version of every day people. If they are a prick online most likely they are a prick in reality but keep that side of themselves under wraps.

Put people in a situation where they are completely anonymous and there are little to no consequences for their actions and they change.

They should also keep their inner prick under wraps while online :) We need more accountability until I can swing a virtual fist at the person spewing fighting words.
SoltanGris
16-bit

Post by SoltanGris »

Violent By Design wrote:I think world peace is a few console generations away. :wink:

Or, you can just give up and let them turn online gaming into a hell hole that new outlets can point to and say "gaming bad!" That's my position. I've got a career, house, family, projects...I don't have a single second to waste on some sub human who spews hate or cheats on a goddamn game! How empty must a person be to do that? Maybe I'm throwing the baby out with the bath water, but I can't see paying for a service on which I am abused :D
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I can only hope that those who play online can be far more civilized than this guy
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

Amidst the ongoing doom and gloom of the events and accounts in this thread... I'd like to drop in and remind everyone that RB Weekly Fight Night, features a lot of perfect gentlemen who really know how to treat a gal for a night on the town. :wink:

The in-match attitudes are really positive, focused on having fun and enjoy casual practice in the feature fighting games of each week. We've yet to have any bad blood created, saltiness that lasts beyond a match and it's subsequent 'runback' and we really just have a good ol' fashioned time of things each night. Minus the occasional TSTR penis emote spam in chat... though every community has it's black sheep! :lol:

So right here in this community you can find positive and uplifting online experiences without having to worry about the random faceless denizens of the internet making you feel all sad about life. :mrgreen:

Stop on by and forget about worrying what little 13yr old Jacob has to say about your mother. :P

/shamelessplug
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I told 13 year old Jacob that I went to highschool with his mother and could be his father. He stopped talking to me after that.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

ExedExes wrote:I can only hope that those who play online can be far more civilized than this guy

We had a similar incident happen here a while back. Person reported a false shooting in progress :roll: and when the police raided the house they nearly shot one of the residents.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

8=====>

My toxicity knows no bounds.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:That's why the Neo Nazis are allowed to parade through towns on occasion; as much as Neo Nazis suck it's their right to believe and say what they want.

During a Neo Nazi parade no one goes up to a jewish person and says they are going to rape and murder their family. Those parades have to be peaceful and civil, even if their beliefs are skewed in my personal opinion.

I just wanted to highlight that I find it humorously telling that a discussion about online gaming naturally led to analogies being drawn to neo-nazis on parade. :lol:
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

J T wrote:I just wanted to highlight that I find it humorously telling that a discussion about online gaming naturally led to analogies being drawn to neo-nazis on parade. :lol:

And now all I can think of is the Blues Brothers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktmNEWwH69s

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would