The toxicity of online gaming.

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Re: The toxicity of online gaming.

Post by Violent By Design »

Anything that is competitive is going to have toxic people, really has nothing to do with online gaming. Meant plenty of toxic people in offline gaming, toxic people in yugioh, toxic people in my basketball leagues. All the same.

I feel bad for anyone who played a multiplayer game and couldn't take/ignore some 10 year old calling them gay, and went back to single player games for that reason. I'm not saying that as an insult per say, but I genuinely do feel bad. Multiplayer is a great experience that you can't capture with single player, and it is a way to meet tons of people and find great experiences with a game.

Also, if you want to have less kids talk crap to you, I'd likely recommend not playing games on console like Call of Duty. Naturally, that is going to be a place that attracts a lot of trash talkers. The only game that I've had an excess amount of trash talkers in recent years has been League of Legends. Given the nature of Moba games, it's understandable and just something one has to get used too if they want to play the game.

Otherwise, I haven't played any MMO, FPS, RTS or Fighting games that I thought had an overwhelming toxic community.

It also helps to just join a clan as soon as possible. You grow real appreciation for a game if you play with like minded people, or at least mature individuals.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

It isn't a matter of being able to emotionally handle a 10 year old telling you they are going to fuck your mother, it is whether or not you are going to allow a 10 year old to say that. I had someone add me on steam to ask me if I would give him all of my Team Fortress 2 items. I told him no and he threatened me with hacking my computer and reporting me to the FBI for terrorism. I blocked him and reported his ass. His profile tagline read, "You fuck with me, you pay the price."

I personally feel that no human being has the right to disrespect anyone like that no matter where they are. Put yourself in that position as a father and your child is online talking like that, are you just going to be ok with that, because that is what they do on the internet?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:It isn't a matter of being able to emotionally handle a 10 year old telling you they are going to fuck your mother, it is whether or not you are going to allow a 10 year old to say that.
Don't play with 10 year olds or use an ignore button. Both are very convenient and reliable options.

Put yourself in that position as a father and your child is online talking like that, are you just going to be ok with that, because that is what they do on the internet?

How is this analogy relevant? Why would I put myself in that position, I don't have to discipline anyone.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Violent By Design wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:It isn't a matter of being able to emotionally handle a 10 year old telling you they are going to fuck your mother, it is whether or not you are going to allow a 10 year old to say that.
Don't play with 10 year olds or use an ignore button. Both are very convenient and reliable options.

Or we could promote a culture where people aren't assholes in the first place.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SoltanGris
16-bit

Post by SoltanGris »

MrPopo wrote:
Violent By Design wrote:

Or we could promote a culture where people aren't assholes in the first place.

People aren't that toxic in real life so we shouldn't tolerate it online. I will always report violations of the terms of service.
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

SoltanGris wrote:People aren't that toxic in real life so we shouldn't tolerate it online. I will always report violations of the terms of service.

Sad to say yes people are assholes like that in real life. Hell I almost punched a chick in the face the other day for yelling at an old guy and coming within about 3 feet of hitting his dog gas station that I was talking to. Some people are more passive aggressive about things than others but trust me there are people that will say the same stuff to your face as you hear online for the littlest things.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

SoltanGris wrote:People aren't that toxic in real life.

Actually that person you hearing online is probably closer to what that person is like then if you were to meet them in reality.

What you are seeing online is basically the uncensored version of every day people. If they are a prick online most likely they are a prick in reality but keep that side of themselves under wraps.

Put people in a situation where they are completely anonymous and there are little to no consequences for their actions and they change.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Fragems wrote:

Actually that person you hearing online is probably closer to what that person is like then if you were to meet them in reality.

What you are seeing online is basically the uncensored version of every day people. If they are a prick online most likely they are a prick in reality but keep that side of themselves under wraps.

Put people in a situation where they are completely anonymous and there are little to no consequences for their actions and they change.

That's the message of the book Heart of Darkness. Without the pressures and consequences of society to contend with people will show their true selves, and it's usually not pretty. 4chan is a wonderful example of this.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Post by Key-Glyph »

Fragems wrote:

Although I'm sure this is true for many individuals, I'd still bet that most of the assholes floating around in multiplayer aren't as vile as their behavior indicates. I think the reality is that the community at large has decided to accept the theory that the awful behavior is normal and expected, and as such even perfectly pleasant people do asinine things because they believe it's what they need to do to fit in. Isn't that the general argument that a lot of people promote in this situation? Fight fire with fire or get out of the kitchen?

And so the real problem is not the truly malicious people, but the scads of regular folk who parrot that behavior because it's what they see. Atmosphere will influence your actions, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will turn you into, or reveal you to be, a superjerk deep in your bones; it may just deaden you to the stupidity of it all so you don't even recognize your own adopted behavior as problematic anymore. Seems pretty harmless right up until the next greenhorn wanders in, absorbs the crap that someone long ago decided was no big, and emulates it. Because that's just how multiplayers roll, right? The reputation itself is fueling its own perpetuation.

My advice would be not to put up with people's bullshit online and not to dish out your own, because it just replicates the issue through a lot of well-meaning people. Think of that time you did something truly mean in middle school just because everyone else was doing it or you thought it was cool, but the second one of your friends showed their disapproval, you allowed yourself to feel as ashamed as you knew you should've been. Everyone pretty much agrees that middle school is a universal lowpoint for personal conduct and is thrilled that they matured out of it (provided they're old enough to be beyond it). Regressing online shouldn't be measured on a different scale and get a magic "but everyone's doing it" pass.

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

I avoid online multiplayer like the plague. If I want to play multiplayer then I will do it in my living room with multiple people LOL.

Keep in mind those acting like fool online are there because they probably have no real life friends anyway. Their only social outlet is online because you are forced to deal with them if you want to play. In real life we just walk away from those people.

Sometimes you get lost seeing a world a nasty people because it is hard to see past them. They are just a bad coat of paint on society. The vast majority of people being clouded out by them are good people. I let these nasty people influence me in the past and make me very negative. No more though, it is a wonderful world full of really good people. Regardless of what you are being told or are seeing. It just takes a little effort to get to them.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.