The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Balance: Backlog, collecting, supporting new games

by dsheinem Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:27 am

Luke wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:I'd say my playing in general is probably 50% replays and 50% new experiences.

80% Replay, 20% new for me.

Possibly closer to 90% replay, 10% new.

Right, but you aren't trying to actively work through a backlog - right? If you are, then these numbers will continue to work against you.

I don't mean to suggest that everyone wants to or should be working through their backlog - there's something to be said for just having an accessible library for the sake of it/collecting purposes. I do mean to suggest that people who want to tackle their backlog but feel it isn't doable probably have some basic things they can do to make it a more realistic goal.
Last edited by dsheinem on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:29 am

AppleQueso wrote:I'd say my playing in general is probably 50% replays and 50% new experiences.

It is bad for me too. This is one of my biggest problems. It also occurs from playing a game and getting distracted, then having to restart it.

My backlog has also grown from spending time playing perpetual games like MMOs and online sports franchise modes.

Then my multiple playthroughs of:
Shining Force I & II
Ogre Battle & Tactics Ogre
XCOM
Streets of Rage series
Civilization series
Final Fantasy VI and FFT (ive almost beaten this one 3 times)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm working through my backlog this year. Most of what I'll play is new to me. Looking forward to it. I'm slowing down on the game purchases too.

Luke wrote:One point (okay, there will be more than one point) I'd like to add to the Game FAQ talk:

I don't like 'em and they suck the fun straight out of the game for me.

But growing up Nintendo Power was definitely used as a resource when trying to beat games. The illustrations, the screen shots, and the solid advice made game guides fun. But looking at terribly written FAQ's online isn't the same.

There are also some strategy guides that I solely bought for reading. Some make you feel like you are almost playing the game. But going to a webpage, clicking on a FAQ, and typing something after ctrl+f, isn't for me.

I basically agree, but sometimes an online FAQ is the best resource available.

And they're a tremendous time-saver. I can't imagine playing Phantasy Star II without an FAQ - it would have taken me 70 hours instead of 25.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:25 pm

dsheinem wrote:Right, but you aren't trying to actively work through a backlog - right?

Heavens to Betsy no. I actively have no plans on purchasing any games or new consoles this year, rather focus on retro games (not at all like me, I know). You know by now I play games for fun and usually any "goal" takes away from that fun for me. And this probably sounds like the guy who says he can stop drinking if he wanted to, but "I could beat all the games in my backlog if I wanted to", but I don't want to.

I enjoy those days off where I know I can play a "newer" game all day. I don't like to tip toe through games, and that's one of the many reasons my NES and Genesis are always connected to my game room crt.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I basically agree, but sometimes an online FAQ is the best resource available.

And they're a tremendous time-saver. I can't imagine playing Phantasy Star II without an FAQ - it would have taken me 70 hours instead of 25.

Taking the time to figure things out on my own is part of the fun for me. Sometimes it is frustrating as all get out (light world and dark world stuff in Link to the Past made me a borderline lunatic for days), but most puzzles (MGS for example) are pretty darned obvious if you use your brain. And what fun would games like Super Metroid be if you didn't take the time to discover the world by yourself?

But I'm getting off topic. Backlogs and such.
vic oakland
8-bit

by vic oakland Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Quick point on FAQs and Guides: for myself, I'm all for them and they don't ruin the fun.

I'm playing Uncharted 1 on Hard right now and collecting all the hidden treasures. What I do is print out a list of the hidden treasures and placements from an online FAQ...and when I get to a chapter I give the list of treasures a cursory glance to see how many are in a given area.

If there's none. Woohoo. I don't use the FAQ at all. If there's three, one early and two late...I read what the name of the early one is...and try to find it on my own. I know I've got it if say, I've found a "Silver Turtle" and I can move on without reading anything more than the name "Silver Turtle."

In my view, this beats looking in every single corner over and over again and still not knowing if I'm done. I've spent too much of my gaming life doing that stuff...and, to be honest, I'm done with it.

It's exactly that kind of obstacle that makes for backlog and half-completed games, in my experience.

Another good example were the trials in FFX. With some of them, I just read up on the rules...and that was enough. With others, where I could tell it was going to be a royal pain, I basically followed the recipe step-by-step. If I feel like a gameplay component is a time waster, I don't care that much about getting help. And in my experience, a lot of older games do have gameplay elements that can end up being little more than time sinks if you don't know what you're doing. Fun? For me, not really anymore.

This is true even with some absolutely great JRPGs. With a 40+h time commitment and "trick questions" that affect how the game plays out, I have no problem using a guide.

For example, when I learned that my answer to a simple multiple choice question in Digital Devil Saga 1, which I was playing blind, meant that I had cheated myself of an optional gameplay element that would only arrive 50+ hours later in Digital Devil Saga 2...I put down the game and stopped playing and it stayed in my backlog. I loved the game, the style...it's exactly up my alley, but that kind of stuff is why I now use FAQs and guides with no guilt at all.

I don't have three lifetimes to play it "wrong" on my first blind playthrough and then come back and answer the question the "right" way, if I ever figure out what happened in the first place! :D

In my view appropriate use of FAQs and guides relates directly to backlog and a more balanced, less perfectionist approach to gaming...this new approach is working for me.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Usually when I have to use a FAQ it's not the fault of the game design but rather the fault of me being a complete idiot or overlooking something that should have been obvious.

If I'm enjoying a game and get stuck, then taking a minute out of my time to use a FAQ to solve a puzzle and slap myself on the head about it beats being stuck for hours and ruining the experience entirely.

As for backlogs, I've stopped stressing a long time ago. The games I collect are games I find fun, if I want to enjoy them to the end or just for a few minutes or hours then I will. If not I also just enjoy collecting them. I'm with Luke about not setting goals. If I did stuff like that then gaming would feel more like work. When playing a video game becomes stressful I stop playing it because the last place I need more stress in my life is my leisure time.
Zing
Next-Gen

by Zing Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:53 am

I was a dedicated backloggery user for years. I was trying to "complete" my games. At some point last fall, I decided my enjoyment of my gaming was being negatively affected. I purged a bunch of games and made some tough decisions on which games I would like to play, and which games I would like to have played. Games that I just wanted to have played were out. I am sticking to games I want to play and enjoy, and skipping games that are just a checkbox on a spreadsheet.

This freed up a lot of time and mental energy to start enjoying some newer games. I now I have a Wii U and a 3DS that I play daily for the past two months. I am enjoying myself with games I would have never touched if I had stayed in the backlog mentality. I find that I move more freely between games, and have a lot less stress in regards to a shelf full of unplayed games.

I do still have a shelf full of NES, SNES, and PSone games that I will get to someday, but it will be for the enjoyment of the game itself, not the "satisfaction" of "beating" it. These games are now potential entertainment instead of work, or a responsibility.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:37 am

Zing wrote:This freed up a lot of time and mental energy to start enjoying some newer games. I now I have a Wii U and a 3DS that I play daily for the past two months. I am enjoying myself with games I would have never touched if I had stayed in the backlog mentality. I find that I move more freely between games, and have a lot less stress in regards to a shelf full of unplayed games.

For what it's worth, the guy who made the backloggery seems to approve of purging games if you absolutely dont want to play them or if you have beaten them and dont see yourself replaying them. The backlogger mentality is really whatever you make of it yourself.
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

by GigaPepsiMan Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:01 pm

I feel this video needs a posting, a segment from BBC Scotlands videogaiden, an oldie but goldie.
"Collecting games is good, being a games collector is bad"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhxXA3o-zYw
Return to Games As Culture