Grunge, grrrls, and games

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
J T
Next-Gen

Grunge, grrrls, and games

Post by J T »

This is an interesting article that draws parallels between the alternative music and riot grrrl scenes of the 90s with the current indie game movement.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1 ... games_.php
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Grunge, grrrls, and games

Post by samsonlonghair »

This article smells pretentious.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

samsonlonghair wrote:This article smells pretentious.

Yup. After reading the first page, I didn't see how the text had anything to do with video game, besides mentioning Klax. I reckon the author is one of those people who praises indy games with no meaningful gameplay in them as some kind of answer to the problems within the "AAA video game industry".
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I agree quite a bit with what she has to say. AAA gaming has been a bit of a cultural wasteland for quite some time, though I'm not so sure that the pandering to the white male has been focused on so much more since the '80s by marketers, as opposed to before that mark. At least in terms of non-gaming culture.

Edit- And to play off her question: I don't think there's a particular dev who is the "Nirvana/Kurt Cobain of video games," rather, I would call the Dreamcast's life the "Nirvana of video games."