Next-Gen

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by oxymoron Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:17 am

Holy shit.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:39 am

I didn't realize people disliked the original 360 design. I personally love it!
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:39 am

Exhuminator wrote:I actually applaud his enthusiasm in being "correct". However this all really does boil down to semantics and it is a black hole for a debate. In the end neither I nor he will change our respective opinion anyway.

I asked you for a very specific thing:

there is a possibility, if Exhuminator follows through, of discussing (not debating) what substantial stylistic differences there are between the PS2 and PS3

:?
oxymoron
Next-Gen

by oxymoron Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:48 am

there is a possibility, if Exhuminator follows through, of discussing (not debating) what substantial stylistic differences there are between the PS2 and PS3

:?[/quote]

" :? " is about right. That sounds monotonous and lengthy.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27 am

oxymoron wrote:

:?:

Then kindly don't partake. Not everyone likes to post pretentious gifs and create circle jerks. Meaningful intellectual — even academic — discussion can take place here, and in fact often has.
oxymoron
Next-Gen

by oxymoron Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:33 am

Then kindly don't partake. Not everyone likes to post pretentious gifs and create circle jerks. Meaningful intellectual — even academic — discussion can take place here, and in fact often has.

What's that suppose to mean?
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:45 am

oxymoron wrote:

What's that suppose to mean?

Yeah, that post was a bit mean. Besides, I think the chance for academic discussion went away with this post.

Exhuminator wrote:For a brief moment I was sucked into debating over this aspect on absurdity alone, but then I realized how trivial it was and stopped.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:26 am

GSZX1337 wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:I always felt like this is the ugliest console design ever. I still couldn't believe they actually released it looking like that. The white 360 is also on the list.

The Xbox 360 design is also based on an old computer. ;)

That does not make it any better , although I do favor the PC design
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:50 am

I always hated those huge plastic flaps that Dell put over their front USB ports. My old Dell had one, though it was one of the full-sized towers so it was even worse, and it looked stupid being propped open all the time. I eventually just broke it off because it was sticking out and just in the way.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:what substantial stylistic differences there are between the PS2 and PS3

Well there are quite a few differences technically speaking, though that only boils down to the differences in the technological capability of the consoles.

From a game design perspective, there have been some trends that show an evolution/change in the way many games are constructed to appeal to the player. A simple example is in the PS3 era third person cover shooters are far more prevalent then they ever were in the PS2 era. More importantly online integration into core game design has truly blossomed in the current generation, in contrast to the PS2's generation (consider Demon Soul's novel approach to it for example). Another aspect would be the achievement/trophy system that really took off in the current generation, whereas that was not really a "thing" in the generation prior. (I know quite a few fellows who play games more to gather achievements than they care at all about beating the game for the sake of just doing that.) One more example would be the PS3's "Move" control system, that sort of player input did not exist on the PS2. Move represents an acclimation of a control scheme that only came to proliferation in the PS3's generation. There are more examples I could come up with, but these aspects begin to establish separate zeitgeists between the two eras.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Games As Culture