The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by pepharytheworm Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:24 pm

All I get from o.pwuaioc's posts is that he is not a retro gamer. :lol: He is an old gamer. :wink: and yes this is a joke post.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:34 pm

I actually applaud his enthusiasm in being "correct". However this all really does boil down to semantics and it is a black hole for a debate. In the end neither I nor he will change our respective opinion anyway.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:29 am

AppleQueso wrote:Actually, on the whole "evoking the styles of the past" thing, I think it's relevant to point out that the Ps2's visual design is based heavily on an old computer, the Atari Falcon 030 Microbox specifically.

It's not coincidence either, you can look it up. Sony bought the patent for it from Atari.

So I guess in at least one sense, the Ps2 could be considered undoubtedly "retro," at least in terms of its appearance. 8)

I always felt like this is the ugliest console design ever. I still couldn't believe they actually released it looking like that. The white 360 is also on the list.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

by Retrogamer0001 Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:35 am

I think I've just stepped into the nerdiest and saddest part of Racketboy...are you guys really arguing over a dictionary definition?

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:36 am

Retrogamer0001 wrote:I think I've just stepped into the nerdiest and saddest part of Racketboy...

"retro gaming" in general is pretty deep in the "nerdiness" spectrum anyway
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:57 am

I was irked that as many times the word "retro" has been used on this forum, the first time I use it, somebody tries to call me out on the definition of the word. Despite the fact I have seen "retro" used in the exact same context as I used it in countless times on this forum. For a brief moment I was sucked into debating over this aspect on absurdity alone, but then I realized how trivial it was and stopped.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Exhuminator wrote:I was irked that as many times the word "retro" has been used on this forum, the first time I use it, somebody tries to call me out on the definition of the word. Despite the fact I have seen "retro" used in the exact same context as I used it in countless times on this forum. For a brief moment I was sucked into debating over this aspect on absurdity alone, but then I realized how trivial it was and stopped.

Well in fairness it was the nature of the topic that sparked the debate, since asking if the PS2 is "retro" or not would logically lead to what people feel the definition of "retro" is and why the PS2 does or doesn't fit their definition.

Though regardless of what the dictionary says, language evolves and in the context of "retro gaming" it's become not just a style but a "cool word" for old.

Whether you want to call the PS2 "retro" or not is a matter of personal opinion, ultimately.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:45 am

AppleQueso wrote:
Retrogamer0001 wrote:I think I've just stepped into the nerdiest and saddest part of Racketboy...

Not really, it's quite popular nowadays (although most people have a very superficial interest). Demoscene, home brewing games, stuff like that is deep as it has a really high skill requirement and requires the use of old hardware (not to mention a lot of time and effort). Playing old Nintendo games is easy. Now some old hardcore DOS games, importing Sharp X68000 games from Japan, making custom arcade cabs etc - the high level of retro gaming, now that's borderline deep.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
oxymoron
Next-Gen

by oxymoron Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:55 am

Menegrothx wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

Not really, it's quite popular nowadays (although most people have a very superficial interest). Demoscene, home brewing games, stuff like that is deep as it has a really high skill requirement and requires the use of old hardware (not to mention a lot of time and effort). Playing old Nintendo games is easy. Now some old hardcore DOS games, importing Sharp X68000 games from Japan, making custom arcade cabs etc - the high level of retro gaming, now that's borderline deep.

Very true.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:16 am

RCBH928 wrote:I always felt like this is the ugliest console design ever. I still couldn't believe they actually released it looking like that. The white 360 is also on the list.

The Xbox 360 design is also based on an old computer. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Return to Games As Culture