PS2 Appreciation Thread

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

Post by pepharytheworm »

The put in and play aspect. Only wired controls. No "wi-fi", Non-HD, no digital download games, Memory cards and the online aspect is totally different. That all sounds pretty "retro" to me. That is what makes some argument for the system being retro. Now the games are on a case by case basis. I personally consider the Dreamcast retro and the ps2 is not that much different.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I agree with the gist of what you are saying Pepharytheworm.

Personally I didn't mention some of those technical things because there were outliers. For example there were a handful of PS2 games that offered HD support: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl ... HD_support And there were officially licensed wireless PS2 controllers: http://www.amazon.com/Officially-Licens ... B000YJCANM (as well as the Logitech ones) There were unofficial ways to get the PS2 onto a wireless network as well. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just explaining why I focused more on game design aspect rather than technology.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

Exhuminator wrote:I agree with the gist of what you are saying Pepharytheworm.

Personally I didn't mention some of those technical things because there were outliers. For example there were a handful of PS2 games that offered HD support: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl ... HD_support And there were officially licensed wireless PS2 controllers: http://www.amazon.com/Officially-Licens ... B000YJCANM (as well as the Logitech ones) There were unofficial ways to get the PS2 onto a wireless network as well. I'm not trying to be argumentative, just explaining why I focused more on game design aspect rather than technology.

Atari 2600 had official wireless controllers too :lol:
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

:lol:
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

pepharytheworm wrote:The put in and play aspect. Only wired controls. No "wi-fi", Non-HD, no digital download games, Memory cards and the online aspect is totally different. That all sounds pretty "retro" to me. That is what makes some argument for the system being retro. Now the games are on a case by case basis. I personally consider the Dreamcast retro and the ps2 is not that much different.

What makes me wonder is, will the ps3 ever look retro? Sure I bet it will be after 15 years , but I really see it hard that next gen. is going to make the current one look "retro" . I think retro is tied to "old style" and since the ps3 is still relevant it will be hard to see it as retro any time soon, because the next gen. does not have any major steps forward (Unless 3D is implemented in a convenient way somehow)

Simply put, technology is not advancing so much. When you see the difference between 4 years back in the 90's (N64->PS2) it was absolutely jaw dropping but when you see GTA4 today as a 5 year old game there is not a huge jump.

Probably that is why we see VHS as retro media as no one uses any tape media any more, while DVD is still seen as current even though its 17 year old technology.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

Oddly enough, I don't feel like the PS3 has added a whole lot to gaming compared to the PS1 and PS2...almost every decent game on the console has been released on the 360 and the exclusives haven't been stellar by any stretch. The RPG department is one of the few places exclusives seem to exist, but most of those games are only "okay", especially compared to some of the dozens and dozens of fantastic RPGs released on the PS1/PS2. I just don't see the PS3 being worth remembering except by shooter fans.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

RCBH928 wrote:will the ps3 ever look retro?

I don't think the PS4's graphics or capabilities will immediately make the PS3 look archaic. And I agree the aesthetic advances of technology are nowhere near as exponential as they used to be in this industry (though still a selling point). Rather I think it will be the methodology of future games that will make the PS3 look "retro". When we're playing hyper realistic MMORPGs over our VR headsets streaming from our 128 core CPU smartphones. Or when you can play Monster Hunter with your friends in real life using AR glasses wherein the monsters are seen and fought running around your actual backyard. I think it's going to be less about graphics and more about utilizing new interactive technology that wasn't prolific during the PS3's time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Exhuminator wrote:Or when you can play Monster Hunter with your friends in real life using AR glasses wherein the monsters are seen and fought running around your actual backyard.

Like this? (sorta)
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Retrogamer0001 wrote:Oddly enough, I don't feel like the PS3 has added a whole lot to gaming compared to the PS1 and PS2...almost every decent game on the console has been released on the 360 and the exclusives haven't been stellar by any stretch. The RPG department is one of the few places exclusives seem to exist, but most of those games are only "okay", especially compared to some of the dozens and dozens of fantastic RPGs released on the PS1/PS2. I just don't see the PS3 being worth remembering except by shooter fans.

The PS3 has a ton of great games, who cares if you can play it on the 360? What game on the PSX is like Red Dead Redemption or Portal 2? I don't get why only modern consoles are penalized for having non-exclusives. People on here will praise the Jaguar 64 and list a ton of games you can play on other consoles, but when it comes to the PS3 and 360 they have "no games" because their stuff is cross platform.

I think the PS3 is an awesome console, one of the best ever made for sure. I haven't dug into its exclusives myself, but it has a pretty strong line. MGS4, Uncharteds, Ni No Kuni, 3D Dot Hero, Puppeteer, Little Big Dick, The Last of Us, Demon Souls - seems to be stuff for everyone there.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

The Phat PS3 design looks retro, especially when the gloss is scratched to hell and is sitting next to a slim PS3.

Also, gloss is so out of style, i cant stand gloss covered electronics...