8-Bit Cafe in Shinjuku: a bar for retro video games

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
greg
64-bit

8-Bit Cafe in Shinjuku: a bar for retro video games

Post by greg »

On Saturday, I went with a friend and his Japanese friend to the 8-Bit Cafe in Shinjuku. It's a bar with a retro otaku theme, primarily video game and other related mania such as anime and manga. It was a great night and the drinks there are great. Their most popular drink is called a Dr. Mario, which is vodka, gin, Dr. Pepper, some Coke, and a couple of candies shaped like pills that come in a flask. The drink is served in a science beaker. Great stuff! My first drink was the Metroid, which was vodka, tonic, and melon syrup. I also ordered a Donkey Kong, which is Malibu and banana juice. Very smooth!

Here's a video I took of it. Look for lots of retro video game stuff including Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive, Neo Geo, Saturn, and Dreamcast stuff. Also look out for old anime on VHS, including Galaxy Express 999 and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and some old Urusei Yatsura records. It was a very fun night! The staff were very great and friendly. They asked me to make some beadsprites for decorations for their place after I showed them my gallery of iron beads beadsprites from my friend's smartphone.

However, trains stop running at 12:30. I thought they stopped at 1. To make it worse, the limited kaisoku train on the Chuuou line between Shinjuku and Akihabara stops running even earlier, so we had to take the regular train. To make it even worse, the train was delayed due to a passenger injury. We ended up having to walk from Ueno to the Minami Senju area at a brisk walk, which took about 30-40 minutes. It really says a lot about Tokyo that a couple of out-of-towners can walk the streets of such a huge city and not encounter any dangerous individuals.
AppleQueso

Re: 8-Bit Cafe in Shinjuku: a bar for retro video games

Post by AppleQueso »

Bet Breetai is really jealous

that place sounds awesome
s1mplehumar
Next-Gen

Post by s1mplehumar »

Oh wow. :o What a cool place. The Metroid looked mighty tasty.
Nintendo ID, PSN, XBL: Eronnicus * Steam ID: s1mplehumar * Switch Friend Code: SW-3270-7921-5525
brainerdrainer
32-bit

Post by brainerdrainer »

man that's awesome!
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Post by hashiriya1 »

I'll check that place out in Feb! Thanks!