TIME Magazine Top 100 Games of All Time

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
ExedExes
Next-Gen

TIME Magazine Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by ExedExes »

TIME just put out a list of their 100 games of all time -- respectfully, it's a decent list and it's sorted out by decade. There are a few games missing (as with any list these days) but it's still a good read. (it has Deus Ex, so I'm happy :lol:)

Article is here

or if you don't feel like clicking through 100 entries, it's also de-slided here.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Re: TIME Magazine Top 100 Games of All Time

Post by Violent By Design »

Wii Sports addition makes me a sad puppy.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Because TIME Magazine is where I go to read about video games.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

All obvious, but not bad choices really. I was shocked at the inclusion of games like Paperboy and Animal Crossing - how are they the greatest of anything? I think someone who doesn't play any games would learn a lot from this list, though. For the average TIME reader it could be a revelation.

One other big problem, where is Valkyrie Profile?
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Needs more Monster World IV!

I was actually a bit surprised by a few, like Ico/SOTC and Rez. Not the worst list of 100 greatest video games of all time, but a good 60% I begrudgingly accept.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:All obvious, but not bad choices really. I was shocked at the inclusion of games like Paperboy and Animal Crossing - how are they the greatest of anything? I think someone who doesn't play any games would learn a lot from this list, though. For the average TIME reader it could be a revelation.

One other big problem, where is Valkyrie Profile?

I was confused as well, it kind of threw me off to what their criteria is.

Very safe games, so yeah I have no problem. But how safe the games are, it is weird a game like Animal Crossing is on there (games like Ico I can see because they have very high reception, and most gaming publishers list games like that on their list).
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Paperboy is awesome. Come on...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

I'm actually surprised by the quality of this, but naturally there are some weird picks (Marathon and Bioshock over System Shock, no mention of Fallout, Baldur's Gate or Persona). They even mentioned NetHack :)
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

That list is jacked. Super mario bros. over smb.3? Madden '95 over NHL '94?
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Luke wrote:That list is jacked. Super mario bros. over smb.3? Madden '95 over NHL '94?

Super Mario Bros has a far greater influence than smb3, it's by far one of the most influental video games of all time. See my comment in the other thread

It's more important to include the most influental games of all times than just the "best games of all time" since it's so hard to decide the latter. That list for example had Mega Man instead of Mega Man 2 or 7 and Thief the Dark Project rather than Thief II: The Metal Age, even though pretty much every one agrees that Mega Man 2>Mega Man and Thief 2>Thief. I think majority of people would rather play Monkey Island 3 (even 1 or 2 for that matter) than Leisuire Suit Larry 1 because as a newer game it's so much more polished. It's always the first game in the genre that matters the most, even if later on many games improve the concept in different ways (like how MM2 and MM3 improved the Mega Man concept and Thief 2&3 improved the Thief concept)

There are plenty of awesome games that simply didn't do anything new or innovative.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box