Why I'm a Retro Gamer - from Racket himself

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: Why I'm a Retro Gamer - from Racket himself

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Menegrothx wrote:
noiseredux wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:Can someone give me a tl;dr version of what Menegrothx is saying (or attempting to say)?

that's what I've been trying to figure out for several pages now.

There is less diversity in "mainstream gaming"(=not counting downloadable indie games) during this generation than there was during PS1/Dreamcast era and games should not become download only
Oh and this picture
http://www.fromthedpad.com/wp-content/u ... -games.jpg

If you were to actually count the number of modern military shooters compared to other genres I think you'd be surprised.

But, I guess you'll narrow your criteria or just ignore valid points further.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Menegrothx wrote:There is less diversity in "mainstream gaming"(=not counting downloadable indie games) during this generation than there was during PS1/Dreamcast era

But this generation includes downloadable indie games, so you arbitrarily dismissing them doesn't make your point.

and games should not become download only

That's not really a game industry thing as much as a business model thing. Netflix is pushing streaming. iTunes, Amazon, eMusic want to sell you mp3's. Barnes & Noble wants you to download books. Etc etc. Digital/streaming media is a thing that businesses can sell and consumers are buying.

Sure I'd love more physical media to display. Oh and BTW, often successful download games get physical releases (Journey, Limbo, etc).

:roll:

Yeah let a stupid over-generalization from a Cracked cartoon back up your argument.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

This list just doesn't seem to be more diverse to me than this one. Especially considering U.S. releases.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

noiseredux wrote:
brunoafh wrote:The market isn't about diversity anymore, it's about what prints money.

I would say that was true of every generation.

I'm also confused why Madden/sports games have been brought up multiple times. Which video game generation was it exactly that didn't have a lot of sports games?

And out of all the generations, the current generation has the least amount of sports games.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Menegrothx wrote:There is less diversity in "mainstream gaming"(=not counting downloadable indie games) during this generation than there was during PS1/Dreamcast era and games should not become download only
Oh and this picture
http://www.fromthedpad.com/wp-content/u ... -games.jpg

The business model for gaming this generation has evolved to take all of the above into account. Companies are going out of business left and right because of their inability to adapt. Games cost more to make today than they did in the PS1/Dreamcast era. Big-time publishers want to maximize profits and dictate their games based on consumer preference. Smaller publishers recognize a gap in game diversity that may apply to a smaller % of consumers so they figure out the best possible way to stay in business and release games to appeal to those gamers.

Hey, a lot of collectors would love something for the shelf (and sometimes the most successful games are eventually put on physical media in a compilation - which is GREAT) but to dismiss these games or the business strategy is having your head in the sand.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Protip: We're not the target demographic anymore. Someone posted about why MTV doesn't show music videos anymore. That's related to the argument you're raising Menegrothx. Things are moving to a digital format, and I can't help but feel compelled that it's a step in the right direction. That's mainstream gaming for you now. The industry is changing. To dismiss that is a point illustrates you're not in tune with how "mainstream" gaming industry is evolving.

You mentioned World of Warcraft before, so I'll keep that as a theme. For example, here's the trend of selling digital versus retail for Mists of Pandaria: http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinche ... nearly-41/

For one: Digital media allows us to easily access titles of the past, showcasing older titles and supporting a brand. I like that I can experience Nights into Dreams on the Xbox, because I never owned a Saturn. Additionally, If you look at the broad userbase of the iTunes store or any digital store, digital media is a reality that can't be ignored.

Two: Hopefully digital media allows us to be more mindful of sustainability. All of that plastic, paper, etc can be saved in the process. However, I think the mental hurdle we need to get over is having something physical to hold in our hands to feeling satisfied. I still prefer a book to a kindle, and a CD to an MP3 but it's no surprise the latter is slowly fading from prominence. So, when we want to show off our collections, looks like our friends will have to browse our digital libraries.

Last. I bought the Orange Box for Portal alone, and have no connection to Half-Life. Blasphemous--but I'm really just calling attention to the generalization you made about those that bought The Orange Box. There's always exceptions, I know but i bet the demographic that bought The Orange Box for something other than Half-Life 2 is bigger than you think.

You raise good overall questions about the state of the industry, but the fact of the matter is there is still quite great diversity of what's being produced and offered--it's simply through channels that you aren't willing to acknowledge are a huge factor.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Menegrothx wrote:There is less diversity in "mainstream gaming"(=not counting downloadable indie games) during this generation than there was during PS1/Dreamcast era and games should not become download only

Why on earth would you not count indie games? The market has evolved (largely out of budget necessity) into something where indies are the rough laboratories of experimental ideas and AAAs are the polished performance. Indie studios today are largely akin in size and budget to the mainstream studios of the past.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry