Nerds and Male Privilege

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: Nerds and Male Privilege

Post by Ivo »

Key-Glyph wrote:Do most people really not take in a game's graphical environment when it's new to them?

If it is something with specific graphical merit, with some specific style like Jet Set Radio, Windwaker or Okami? Perhaps. But I think most people don't even play those games. So I would say that indeed most people really do not.

The game the situation happened with is likely the type of game people often make fun of for being a) extremely similar to other games of the type and b) a lot of different shades of grey and brown.

Consider also that we are discussing a situation where the time with the game is rather limited (30 minutes) and presumably they have access to one or more trailer/videos and plenty of nice screenshots to run in articles covering the game, so hands-on time with the mechanics is precious and testing the gameplay should be prioritized.

This is the main thing that bothers me with her description.

She starts her article writing a good deal about how familiar she is with games, and how comfortable WASD is for her, I would say the game's graphical environment would then hardly count as "new" for her - but I think that is indeed the impression most people would get from observing her behavior, that the graphical environment is new to her.

She then concludes that she did not learn much about the game, but at least part of that was her own fault. She spends several minutes just enjoying the scenery, and then the PR rep. gets the keyboard and shows her even more scenery.

I really can't blame the PR rep. too much. The PR rep. shouldn't have taken the keyboard away, but at least he asked some natural questions before doing it. Whereas she really failed to communicate what she wanted in more than one way.

Worse, she totally did not own to that in her 2nd article about it, which I felt was extremely disappointing giving it was the "most common negative response":
http://alivetinyworld.com/2012/06/20/st ... or-myself/

I really feel she didn't even need to "stand up" for herself in this case (I'm not discussing the other treatment she described getting at E3, only the keyboard one).
She just needed to communicate clearly and clarify what was, given her actions (or shall I say, lack of action), a very reasonable misunderstanding.

Ivo.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Gameloft's party with topless women -

http://kotaku.com/5970474/partygoer-top ... s-industry

This seems to be another clear example of the industry's general bent towards chauvinism, here evidenced by Gameloft failing to consider the female employees who work in the same company as their male counterparts and attend the same company party...
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

dsheinem wrote:Gameloft's party with topless women -

http://kotaku.com/5970474/partygoer-top ... s-industry

This seems to be another clear example of the industry's general bent towards chauvinism, here evidenced by Gameloft failing to consider the female employees who work in the same company as their male counterparts and attend the same company party...

Sounds like an awesome party! Lol
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Hahahaha, and Kotaku of all people complains about this? Sorry but the hypocresy is too much for me to handle :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Sheesh Gameloft. There are male strippers too. :lol:
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Sheesh Gameloft. There are male strippers too. :lol:

You know, it irks me that we are going from having stupid fanservice women to stupid fanservice everyone. :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

scikoolaid wrote:To expect man's sexual desire to recede because some women can't handle their own existence is ridiculous. Especially within a primarily men's hobby/sub culture. I mean really, the whole argument is nonsensical.

Right, because absolutely everything -- common sense, decorum, you name it, takes a backseat to a man's sexual desire. Seriously? :roll: You can't control your penis for two minutes, so any women you come into contact with must immediately be available to satiate your appetite? This is the funniest comment I have read on the board since they ousted Izzy.

As to the topless party -- I don't think that it is a problem that "strippers" were there. The problem for me would be that if it wasn't advertised as such (at an office Christmas party, no less) then it's just inappropriate. These types of things should be opt-IN, not opt-OUT. I'm cool with naked girls, and I'm cool with naked men. I don't necessarily want to look at either in the presence of the people I have to work with on a daily basis.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

GameLoft is the developer of the My Little Pony mobile game.

There's something odd about knowing that the man that made your little daughter's favorite video game celebrated by eating an eclair out of a stripper's ass crack. Somehow that just doesn't feel right to me.
Last edited by J T on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

J T wrote:GameLoft is the developer of the My Little Pony mobile game.

There's something odd about knowing that the man that made your little daughter's favorite video game celebrated by eating an eclair out of a stripper's ass crack.

Way to ruin eclairs for me JT ... :roll:
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I think what I'm most outraged about by that story Is that people in body paint are deemed "nude." I'll concede that it may be sexually enticing, but not explicit. I don't think that excuses it from being unadvertised at a holiday party, and exclusively female models, but I get tired of all the sexual emphasis placed on women's breasts. I'm probably alone in this, but they're really not that big of a deal. Too much power has been given to men over the years in determining what is and isn't acceptable for women to show above the waist and below the knees.