Game prices drop too quickly

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Game prices drop too quickly

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Oh god, razors... Thank god I hardly ever shave.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I will buy games new for a few reasons:

1. Has some multiplayer aspect that is best if you buy early to play with friends. Examples for me include NCAA football as I play in year round online dynasties, BF3 etc...

2. Has a rare CE edition at launch that will be scarce in the future and expect it to appreciate. Examples: mostly atlus and nisa games and such.

3. Similar to #3 has some can't miss pre order bonus (this isn't that common). Example tactics ogre psp, I really wanted the tarot cards, but in fairness was getting the game anyway.

4. Maybe most importantly, I think of pre ordering or buying a game new is kind of like 'voting' for that game. A game and developers success often hinges on preorders andnew game sales. So I feel if I want to see more of this type of game in the future, then I should help to suppot it at launch.
pnicholas

Post by pnicholas »

Well yeah, we really hold not much control over this as the company is utmost responsible with how their pricing scheme is going to be. I mean, you could just do as much with making sure of continuous sales to keep the prices up but that is really hard to pull off so they are to bring the prices down in order to attract more players into it. You could very well wait until prices go down before you buy one but it is not all about the price of games anyway.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

MrPopo wrote:
retrosportsgamer wrote:I think people forget that videogames cost the same amount 20 years ago. You would buy a new Tommy Lasorda baseball and it would be $60...in 1989 (or whenver). This market price point isn't anything new.

And with several SNES games they cost more. I remember some new releases costing $70 or $80 because of the special expansion chips in the carts. Now add 20 years of inflation. Games these days are downright cheap compared to in days of yore.

I think MrPop's statement reinforces the reasons we are retro gamers.
I too rarely pay retail for a game (one a year) and usually wait to buy them used via Amazon Warehouse or trade for them. The main reason I don't pay retail is that I don't feel I get my money's worth out of many of the new games. I think back to Castlevania I and III and realize that I never beat them, yet almost every modern game if I put in the patience to hit the buttons between the cut scenes I beat the game and have 80% of the trophies/achievements.
While not an argument as to why prices drop, I do think we notice/care more about it because it is our money and we care about value more as adults AND because we remember the days where it took months and tons of mapping and memorization to beat Battletoads.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I can't afford to buy games brand new all the time. I'm not really complaining about lower prices :P

Prices drop really fast, but sometimes you just know the price will go up and up if you don't get it at $60. Kicked myself hard over Metroid Prime Trilogy and you can bet Xenoblade Chronicles will get expensive quick. I also didn't get Skyward Sword in time and now I'll never have that gold remote.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while