It's okay to be you..

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
The Last Horseman
128-bit

Re: It's okay to be you..

Post by The Last Horseman »

I get flak for playing games in general. Its main stream and everything nowadays, but I still get it, mostly from people my age. I'm not sure why, but it seems that almost all people are like "Oh, weirdo with no friends, he plays video games. He's out there." My friends and stuff understand, but I'm probably the one that puts it out there the most, and usually end up getting flak. :? This is why I prefer dogs to most people.
Systems: Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, N64, Gamecube, Xbox 360

WTB: Boxes for a silver Gamecube System(and a hyperport cover), and a box for an Ice Blue N64 console. Will pay 7.50 for each and shipping.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

The Last Horseman wrote:This is why I prefer dogs to most people.

I can relate.
Croooow!
128-bit

Post by Croooow! »

I've gotten flack a few times but whenever I do I just rub in how cheap the games and systems can be. People usually can't argue with that. Luckily my friends can appreciate a good SNES collection when they see one.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

soundslave
8-bit

Post by soundslave »

I think gaming is becoming so mainstream that this isn't really a problem anymore. The friends of mine that make fun of me for buying all these old video games are the same guys that come over and end up playing them all night.
Need a great VIDEO GAME PODCAST to listen to??
World One One Itunes
http://worldoneone.com
NintendoLegend
32-bit

Post by NintendoLegend »

I hate to say it, but it works both way -- the amount of flak you catch will depend on how much you let your particular collecting habit interfere with your life. I am an avid NES gamer, but I do not make it obvious in my day-to-day life that I am. I am okay with this. But if I started incessantly talking about it at work, bringing it into social situations, etc., I would expect to catch some flak.

I know some people understand this, but it's always super awkward when I see a geek friend catching flak -- but probably deserving to. Everyone has their own stuff they appropriately keep to their fair bit of privacy.

That being said, I have never caught flak for NES-related hobby activity -- everyone thinks it's awesome, of course. :D
SkirmishFrogs.com -- A lighthearted retro gaming community.

NintendoLegend.com -- One retro gamer's quest to play and review every American-released NES game.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

It's okay to be me? Thanks~ 8)
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm proud of my collection and the only reaction I've ever gotten from people is compliments on how cool it is.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

wasn't sure if I wanted to put this in the Male Prvilege thread or here, but this seems like as good a spot as any:

http://mohandasgandhi.tumblr.com/post/1 ... le-brother

What an awesome story.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

dsheinem wrote:wasn't sure if I wanted to put this in the Male Prvilege thread or here, but this seems like as good a spot as any:

http://mohandasgandhi.tumblr.com/post/1 ... le-brother

What an awesome story.

Indeed. Made me smile. :D
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

*reads subject*

Phew, that's a relief!

Arcade games, Dreamcast, and shmups for life
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.