So apparently "Retro Games" suck..........

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: So apparently "Retro Games" suck..........

Post by o.pwuaioc »

pakopako wrote:
Breetai wrote:Final Fantasy III's (err.. VI) opening was painfully long as well.
The PS1 was definitely a culprit for this, although it would be more accurate to blame the CD medium.
But you could skip that intro (which was a credits roll) and play through the rest of it (through Narshe).

Long would be Final Fantasy IIus -- that airship sequence was long and uninterruptible. (I shudder to think what the PSx load-times were between CGI and game.)

Was FFIVjp's scene able to be skipped?

Just restarted Secret of Mana (going to play 2 player with my gf from the beginning), that was another long intro courtesy of Square. I guess it's not so bad when great games have long intros, but man it'd eat me up to suffer through a long intro only to play a craptastic game. OK, ok, enough complaining.

Point being, retro games are awesome.
MidnightRider
32-bit

Post by MidnightRider »

nathey wrote:Try waiting 20 mins for a game to load on a c64 (Test Drive anyone? :P). Then come back and say the cd formats are slow... :lol:

So not the point. At least when those 20 minutes are up, you can just play. We're talking the game has loaded, but they just would.not.shut.up. :x

Also in general on this subject, this was never about loading times, as much as story sequences dragging things out to be much longer than necessary. Just another reason RPG's would be near last on my personal genre listing.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

MidnightRider wrote:Also in general on this subject, this was never about loading times, as much as story sequences dragging things out to be much longer than necessary. Just another reason RPG's would be near last on my personal genre listing.
And grinding. I can't believe the "Peninsula of Power" (Final Fantasy I) was such a happy accident on the NES.

o.pwuaioc wrote:Was FFIVjp's scene able to be skipped?

Nope. But the game was the debut of the Final Franchise on new hardware, so it made sense they would want to show off as much as possible.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

I'm basically thinking the same thing everyone else already said. He has a point but it's one with a very poorly built structure and he goes about it with a very troll like attitude (Almost definitely for views). He's basically just like Yahtzee Croshaw but less funny.

I remember one video in particular that angered me. He spent the entire thing complaining about "fanboys." In reality he spent the entire time getting all flustered that the people he was talking about simply had opinions that he disagreed with.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

MrEco wrote:I remember one video in particular that angered me. He spent the entire thing complaining about "fanboys." In reality he spent the entire time getting all flustered that the people he was talking about simply had opinions that he disagreed with.

I went onto a Nintendo forum and they say that the NES was a cool console. What a bunch of goddamn fanboys.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

GSZX1337 wrote:
MrEco wrote:I remember one video in particular that angered me. He spent the entire thing complaining about "fanboys." In reality he spent the entire time getting all flustered that the people he was talking about simply had opinions that he disagreed with.

I went onto a Nintendo forum and they say that the NES was a cool console. What a bunch of goddamn fanboys.

If you think that's fanboyism, just wait till you hear that I say the original Xbox was better than any of the current systems.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.