Competitive gaming

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Competitive gaming

Post by ZeroAX »

PixelPixii wrote: I was never into Tetris when I was younger. It was too slow paced for me.

Clearly you never got to the later levels (felt like watching a tennis match from the sides, if that makes any sense)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
martyg
8-bit

Post by martyg »

flojocabron wrote:I'm gonna go old school on ya!

I love the classic Warlords for atari 2600!

its simple yet entertaining!

get four buddies together and let the trash talking begin!

Was even better in the arcade.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

To me competitive gaming was walking 10 blocks to the local convenience store to try to get my initials on the High Score list on the Galaga machine.
I miss that. I was self motivated to play and play well not just to pass time but to be the best. That kind of competition doesn't exist anymore.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
PixelPixii
32-bit

Post by PixelPixii »

SpaceBooger wrote:To me competitive gaming was walking 10 blocks to the local convenience store to try to get my initials on the High Score list on the Galaga machine.
I miss that. I was self motivated to play and play well not just to pass time but to be the best. That kind of competition doesn't exist anymore.

I agree with you Space. When it comes to the gaming world there is a lack of competition.

MrAfterFx
16-bit

Post by MrAfterFx »

A great game for competitive speed runs is super meat boy. It is challenging and fast pace while keeping that nice retro/modern style that even newer gamers will appreciate. I plan on doing a video review of the game and making it as professional as possible!
ZenErik
Next-Gen

Post by ZenErik »

The only game I am getting really competitive in is Child of Eden. It's really nice to see my PSN ID at #1 on the leader boards for 3 levels so far. I plan on making it #1 on all 5 levels on both normal and hard mode. And the bonus level. Just need to make more time to practice. :)
My B/S/T thread! :)
Switch ID: ??? ||| PSN ID: ZenErik (PS4) ||| Steam: Erikdayo
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

I recently won a Donkey Kong Jr. tournament at an event at Star Worlds Arcade, with some huge gamers on hand such as Tim McVey (first billion point gamer), Todd Rogers (once played an arcade game for over 84 hours straight), and Isaiah "Triforce" Johnson (who would have set a Playchoice Super Mario Bros. record for points if he'd been recording it). Though I'm not nearly as good as some of the top guys (Mark Kiehl, Steve Wiebe, Billy Mitchell, etc.), I've been gleaning tips from the event and from watching YouTube videos of Kiehl play the game.

I also got interviewed for my DK Jr. play by VGTV:

Yes, that was an outdoor event. I ended up scoring 102,200 that night in a last-ditch effort to take the prize.

I also still need to contact VGTV to find out when that interview will be airing.

Anyway, as you guys already know, I'm the top Pokémon Pinball and Mario Kart DS player in the world (2/2 and 42/64 WRs, respectively). I'm also prepping to get all nine records on Pokémon Puzzle Challenge for GBC, and may attempt to break the record on the arcade game Avalanche this winter.

I'm getting better at this gaming stuff. :P
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Hey, that's cool man, contragulations!

So you are good at Mario Kart DS huh? A friend of mine was going to post records a year or two ago but he was lazy and didn't want to go throughthe paperwork. Can't blame him, I had really high scores in the Osu Tatakae Ouendan games and I didn't do it either.

Did it took long to get your scores approved? What did you use to record it?

BTW Pokémon Pinball is awesomelucious.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

General_Norris wrote:Hey, that's cool man, contragulations!

So you are good at Mario Kart DS huh? A friend of mine was going to post records a year or two ago but he was lazy and didn't want to go throughthe paperwork. Can't blame him, I had really high scores in the Osu Tatakae Ouendan games and I didn't do it either.

Did it took long to get your scores approved? What did you use to record it?

I actually haven't sent them in yet. :lol:

Problem with Twin Galaxies is that when you send in records in bulk, they want you to put them all in order on this sheet they have. Problem is, I recorded the records on video cassette tapes (basically the size of those old music cassette tapes but record video) and I don't have anything with me that can play them back so that I can put them in order.

BUT THEY WILL BE VERIFIED. :P

General_Norris wrote:BTW Pokémon Pinball is awesomelucious.

It is, though very frustrating. A lot of glitches (balls going through the flippers arg) and too often do you have to get everything down to the pixel to hit it to the right spot.

I had actually gotten my copy from s1mplehumar three weeks before getting the records. The pic of the game is still up in his B/S/T thread. :P
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

This has been a fun read, I liked the sound of the NWC story.
Anyway I used to play a lot of vs games online and I still play some but not as much, the skill gap between players is just too large, with older online game the skill gap is even bigger. A common tactic I've seen people do is get a game as soon as possible and try and get to the top of the leader boards while only a handful own the game and then as time goes on they get better and manage to stay on top. Fair enough but it isn't for everyone, not for me anyway.
Actually that is something I dislike, with some games I buy them late and everyone has already moved onto something else so I'm let left in the dust.

I really like the idea of competitive point scoring games though because anyone can play those kind of games and always have a reachable goal. For example I've been playing Namco Musieum on 360, I know I'm far off from topping any leader boards but I at least I can set a reachable goal by increasing my score, I sat down and played pac man yesterday and with some practise I moved up the online leader boards by 30,000+ places, sure top 10,000 isn't anything to brag about but it is gratifying.

But yeah competitive gaming can be fun in all forms, I'm not good at street fighter or COD but they are enjoyable. Score games though is when I can have the serious kind of fun because there is always a target.