The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
retroaddict

Video games as the way of life

by retroaddict Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Don't know about you, but games took away quite a large part of my life. I'm thinking on playing games for a living, if that's possible. Is that possible? Can anyone help me out? Is there a job where you get paid to play the games? How can I get into that? Are there people among you who play games for a living?

I just found this forum today by accident or maybe faith, I feel good vibes, I feel some of you guys will be able to help me out.
Shmups rock!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Video games as the way of life

by alienjesus Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:49 pm

Probably the closest you could get to having a career where you play games in a semi-enjoyable manner would be as a games journalist. Testers do not have a fun job, and despite having to play a lot of bad or mediocre games and work to tight deadlines, at least theres more of an oppurtunity to enjoy the game if you write for a games magazine or professional games website.
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:25 pm

Don't make your hobby your job, it takes all the fun out of it.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Hatta wrote:Don't make your hobby your job, it takes all the fun out of it.

I would definitely agree. Case in point:
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:56 pm

I get the sense that a lot of game's journalists don't quit their day job. Though, yes, it is an area where you get access to lots of cool games.

Your better option is to just find a job that leaves you with enough free time to play games off the clock (or where they are cool about you playing games when there is nothing actively happening on the job). I know a guy that works at home doing tech support calls. He does whatever he wants until a phone call comes in. It allows him plenty of time to surf the web, play games, make music, or whatever.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
ChimairaGT
16-bit

by ChimairaGT Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:54 pm

1. Become Korean
2. Get good at Starcraft
3. Profit
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

by Curlypaul Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:18 pm

I believe there is also a living to made from participating in pro gaming tournanments if you are lucky enough to be in a part of the world where these things take place and good enough to win.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Curlypaul wrote:I believe there is also a living to made from participating in pro gaming tournanments if you are lucky enough to be in a part of the world where these things take place and good enough to win.

Yes, but the level of skill required for those is as much as any professional athlete. Only the best of the best can make money from it, and chances are you aren't that good. I have to agree with what JT said; find a job that gives you enough free time to play games afterwards. I work a white collar job which leaves me plenty of time in the evening and on weekends to play.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
slowslow325
Next-Gen

by slowslow325 Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:37 pm

When you are a tester, you get assigned one little area of a game they choose that you must run around in for hours on end trying different things. You cannot leave that area. Everytime you find a bug, you write a note and send it to the programmers.

That would suck.

I suggest you get a real job, and maybe do some online writing about video games at home on the side, maybe you'll make a few extra dollars.
retroaddict

by retroaddict Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:50 am

:shock: ... thanks guys, that was very helpful to say the least!
Shmups rock!
Return to Games As Culture