The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by Gamerforlife Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Games with one enemy aren't new, but I like the idea behind this. I always imagined that if I was a game designer I would want to create a game that places a heavy emphasis on comraderie. I'm not talking about another typical, every day multi-player game, but an actual single player experience like what JT is talking about here. And no, I don't mean some co-op game pretending to be a single player experience either(Resident Evil 5 I'm looking at you)

My favorite moments in a lot of games involved the player working together with NPCs to overcome a crisis. Freedom Fighters was a great game for this reason. I also loved Peter Jackon's King Kong because that game did a good job of creating the illusion of these NPCs working with you to survive and all of the dialogue in the game actually made me care more about them than the movie did. Michel Ancel is a brilliant designer. He understands the importance of making players care about NPCs. He did this in Beyond Good and Evil really well. Half Life games completely fail at this because Gordon is such a non-character that is makes it hard to get drawn into the games world and feel any real connection with any of the characters

Also, I frequently complain about games not creating a real sense of mortality for either your avatar or the NPCs. What JT is talking about here is a good way to do that. People actually can REALLY die which makes you REALLY try to keep them alive. I think a game like this should have some kind of auto-save process. When you lose someone you can't just reload the game. You live with the consequences. It would be good incentive to replay the game
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 21718
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Under a pile of retro stuff in H-town

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by Hobie-wan Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:03 am

Octopod wrote:Yars Revenge


Hmm, close, but you've got both Qotile and the 'missle' following you around the screen Pepe LePew style.
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by J T Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I think a game like this should have some kind of auto-save process. When you lose someone you can't just reload the game. You live with the consequences. It would be good incentive to replay the game


I want the game to force you to move forward despite a death, but I always feel like I missed out on something if I screw up, and I don't want to replay the entire game just to get back to every possible choice point. I think that the game should instead send up a message that tells you that you cannot go back without creating a new game file, but that it will give you an option at the end of the game to see what you missed if you manage to pass it. At the end of the game, it could then show you a tree diagram that displays all of the branching parts of the storyline and allows you to either play the game from any point where the storyline splits, or watch the movie sequences from that point on. That way, I don't feel like I missed out, but I also don't have to repeat a bunch of gameplay just to see what I missed the first time.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by Gamerforlife Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:19 pm

J T wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:I think a game like this should have some kind of auto-save process. When you lose someone you can't just reload the game. You live with the consequences. It would be good incentive to replay the game


I want the game to force you to move forward despite a death, but I always feel like I missed out on something if I screw up, and I don't want to replay the entire game just to get back to every possible choice point. I think that the game should instead send up a message that tells you that you cannot go back without creating a new game file, but that it will give you an option at the end of the game to see what you missed if you manage to pass it. At the end of the game, it could then show you a tree diagram that displays all of the branching parts of the storyline and allows you to either play the game from any point where the storyline splits, or watch the movie sequences from that point on. That way, I don't feel like I missed out, but I also don't have to repeat a bunch of gameplay just to see what I missed the first time.


That sounds pretty good. I realized after making that last post that I'm actually one of those people who hates missing out on things too. Dead Rising's one save approach really pissed people off too, so this would actually work better
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Haoie
128-bit
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:43 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by Haoie Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:17 am

Hellnight, AKA Dark Messiah.

Get it!
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
User avatar
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by Erik_Twice Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:58 am

AppleQueso wrote:Wasn't Donkey Kong the only enemy in Donkey Kong?

Nope. There were also those flames running around.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
User avatar
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2858
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:14 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by pepharytheworm Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:27 am

General_Norris wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Wasn't Donkey Kong the only enemy in Donkey Kong?

Nope. There were also those flames running around.


Thats why there can never be truely one enemy. No matter how you look at it, even a game like Jaws has more than one enemy in a since. Storms at sea, the beach council, other shark hunters, basicily the enemies are anything that get in your ways of reaching your goals.

In donkey kong the flames aren't really after you they are just fire and of course if fire touches you it burns. You can't really call fire an enemy in real life. If flames consume your house do you vow revenge against flames? But in videogame land it would be. Most games really only have one real enemy, its just overexaggerated life gets in the way. If I am going to rescue a princess from a single monster I still have to get there somehow even if I have to stomp on birds and spiders on the way, which are only bad because they are in my way. Even in a modern game traffic and traffic signs would be considered enemies, hendering you from your goals. If you don't belive me than Frogger has no enemies.
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
User avatar
Lord_Santa
128-bit
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:36 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by Lord_Santa Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:11 pm

Warning Forever:

http://www18.big.or.jp/~hikoza/Prod/index_e.html

albeit he claims that there are several bosses, IMO it's one boss that evolves
C-64 will never die
- only the players
AppleQueso
 

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by AppleQueso Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:41 pm

the only enemy in Pong is the other paddle
User avatar
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6252
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:22 am
Location: Madrid, Spain

Re: A game with only one enemy.

by Erik_Twice Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:35 am

AppleQueso wrote:the only enemy in Pong is the other paddle


Well, the other paddle doesn't kill you so it's more of a rival and less of an enemy =D
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest