The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Video Games as Sport

by Erik_Twice Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Let's expose my position very clearly.

If you think that sports require physical skills then most videogames are not sports but then some "sports" would be no longer. (Motoracing, for example)

If you don't, then videogames are a sport.

The Olympic Comitee considers Chess a sport and it doesn't require any physical skills. This probably led them to consider videogames as capable of being sports somewhat recently (There's a link on wikipedia, if you are interested).

That's all.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: Video Games as Sport

by Hatta Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:59 pm

I think Starcraft proves that video games can be as competitive as any sport.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:26 pm

Summer Games - both Joystick and Gamer endurance test. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jfrost
Next-Gen

by jfrost Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Arcade games usually do require some physical skills.
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

by Curlypaul Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Well firstly I think that motorracing does require physical skill and the drivers have to be fit as well.

I do agree that videos games could be considered a sport though and hopefully they will in the future. How many of us could stand playing Donkey Kong for long enough to beat the record? How many of us would last more than one fight in a japanese SF tournament? In my mind the people that do this are as dedicated and as accomplished as any athelete.

I think the reasons why this doesnt get recognition is in a small part because of the geek stigma that is attached to gaming, but mainly because there is currently there is no money in publisising it. As soon as someone at a TV station thinks they can make some cash out of broadcasting a world Tetris tournament things will change.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:04 am

Curlypaul wrote:Well firstly I think that motorracing does require physical skill and the drivers have to be fit as well.

I think that the main reason why motoracing requires to be fit is the high frequency of vibration of the cars (More than 1 hertz). This vibration is extremely tiring but is not found in all kinds of motoracing as it depends on the design of the vehicle.

In other words. If you take your car and I take mine and we race with them we are practising motorracing but the only difference between this and a racing videogame is the pull when you take a curve.

(Note that I do not include dexterity and reflexes in "physical skill" because otherwise the whole discussion would be moot. Being good at Track&Field requires insane amounts of dexterity, for example)

I think the reasons why this doesnt get recognition is in a small part because of the geek stigma that is attached to gaming, but mainly because there is currently there is no money in publisising it.

Probably. Also note that the sponsors don't really know how these kind of things work. I remember that Gillete sponsored a TF2 team and the result was kind of narmy. They told them to shave with their product after they won and it was more funny than anything else.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Return to Games As Culture