Video game books?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
futuramaguy42
32-bit

Re: Video game books?

Post by futuramaguy42 »

http://www.amazon.com/Video-Game-Art-Ni ... 204&sr=8-2

Video Game Art, interesting book about game design and art stuff.
Gnashvar
128-bit

Post by Gnashvar »

Luke wrote:The Worlds of Power series, if you can find them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Compl ... _books.JPG

LOL I have the Simon's Quest one and boy did they change the story :roll: Very easy read though I think I was in the 6th grade when I read it.
Thanks everyone...
dire51

Post by dire51 »

May I suggest a few books written by your fellow gamers about their personal experiences?

Commodork: Sordid Tales from a BBS Junkie: A collection of stories and memoirs by Rob O'Hara that took place during the classic computer Bulletin Board era. Even if you didn't participate in the BBS scene, it's quite a good read.

Invading Spaces: A Beginner's Guide to Collecting Arcade Games: Rob O'Hara's second book, this one covering the basics of arcade collecting. It also has dozens of arcade-related anecdotes as gathered by Rob during his fifteen years of arcade collecting. Again, even if you don't collect arcade cabs, it's a great read.

Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman: A book about growing up during the "golden age" of videogaming, from the Atari 2600 to the PS1 and all points in between. I'd say it's a great read, but I'm biased - I wrote it. I've gotten pretty good feedback on it, though. Everyone's that's bought a copy and told me about it has enjoyed it. It also has anecdotes from friends of mine as well.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

dire51 wrote:May I suggest a few books written by your fellow gamers about their personal experiences?

Commodork: Sordid Tales from a BBS Junkie: A collection of stories and memoirs by Rob O'Hara that took place during the classic computer Bulletin Board era. Even if you didn't participate in the BBS scene, it's quite a good read.

Invading Spaces: A Beginner's Guide to Collecting Arcade Games: Rob O'Hara's second book, this one covering the basics of arcade collecting. It also has dozens of arcade-related anecdotes as gathered by Rob during his fifteen years of arcade collecting. Again, even if you don't collect arcade cabs, it's a great read.

Memoirs of a Virtual Caveman: A book about growing up during the "golden age" of videogaming, from the Atari 2600 to the PS1 and all points in between. I'd say it's a great read, but I'm biased - I wrote it. I've gotten pretty good feedback on it, though. Everyone's that's bought a copy and told me about it has enjoyed it. It also has anecdotes from friends of mine as well.

I just ordered a copy of your book from Amazon! I'll let you know what I think. :D

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I put a lot of these on my Amazon wishlist, so my wife might pick up a few for me as Christmas gifts.
dire51

Post by dire51 »

jfe2 wrote:I just ordered a copy of your book from Amazon! I'll let you know what I think. :D

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it. :)
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

Saw someone post this on DP. This looks good but expensive. Well, the looks good part is based on the clips I saw of his previous documentary, BBS the Documentary, which I want but do not want $40 bucks bad. So not a book but a documentary on text adventures.

http://www.getlamp.com/

Maybe Ill go to PAX East and watch it.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

dire51 wrote:
jfe2 wrote:I just ordered a copy of your book from Amazon! I'll let you know what I think. :D

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it. :)

I came home for lunch today and it had just arrived in the mail. Just skimming over the chapter listing got me excited to read it.
dire51

Post by dire51 »

Cool. Let me know what you think. :)
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I got this for Christmas:

...a couple of chapters in, and I'm really enjoying it.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

A great read.
Attachments
History Games.jpg
History Games.jpg (32.19 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425