The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Which games would work best as Broadway musicals?

by REPO Man Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:38 pm

To date, three stand out.

The first is Final Fantasy, since like the games it doesn't have to build directly upon the world established in any previous incarnation of the series but rather uses some form of shared lore (spell names, creatures, etc). While bringing such a world to the stage would be an expensive endeavor for something that at its cheapest would be just as expensive as most AAA games and at its most expensive would be 2-3 times as high, I think it'd be a spectacle worth watching, though even if it lasts only a year on the stage before closing, it'd have to make its money back through merchandise, cast recording sales and the home media release of any official pro-shot.

The second is Crash Bandicoot. Given how Julie Taymor has adapted the animal characters of The Lion King and how Tina Landau has adapted the anthropomorphic aquatic characters of SpongeBob Squarepants to the stage, I could see Crash Bandicoot done in a similar fashion. My top choices for the cast would be Billy Porter as Aku Aku, Sophia Caruso as Coco and either Ethan Slater or Andrew Keenan-Bolger as Crash Bandicoot.

The last is Super Mario, which given its appeal would be the most marketable option, though Nintendo's protection over its IPs might make such a project a fantasy at best. I could see Danny Skinner and Ethan Slater as Mario and Luigi, and given their roles as Patrick and SpongeBob in the SpongeBob musical they already had an excellent rapport with one another. To round out the cast I'd suggest Taylor Louderman as Peach, Alex Brightman as Wario, Wesley Taylor as Waluigi and either Will Roland or George Salazar as Toad.
ZRofel
24-bit

Re: Which games would work best as Broadway musicals?

by ZRofel Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:04 pm

God Hand
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:48 am

Parappa the Rapper

There’s also a little known game called “Grease” released for the Nintendo DS and Wii in 2010. It’s a collection of music-themed mini games set in 1950s America, which is kind of a weird concept for a video game! That said, the music’s actually really catchy, and I think it’d make a pretty good musical.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

by RobertAugustdeMeijer Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:37 am

This thought experiment has me chuckling : D

Vib-Ribbon has a tutorial that is sung. Which has me wondering, can't we make all tutorials bombastic musicals?
marurun

by marurun Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:41 am

Katamari Damacy is the obvious choice. For characterizations it's really about a child's search for approval in the face of a powerful but mercurial, even flippant, parent. That approval involves more and more Sisyphean tasks. This would be a leaner musical without a burgeoning cast, but would provide a neat opportunity for songs that are both introspective and silly.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:16 am

I vote for Ms. PacMan and Galaga. Preferably as if you were adapting their combined arcade cabinet into one musical. You could really throw the audience with that one.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

by RobertAugustdeMeijer Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:38 am

marurun wrote:Katamari Damacy is the obvious choice. For characterizations it's really about a child's search for approval in the face of a powerful but mercurial, even flippant, parent. That approval involves more and more Sisyphean tasks. This would be a leaner musical without a burgeoning cast, but would provide a neat opportunity for songs that are both introspective and silly.

Hell yeah!!
I'd love to see The King get upset.

Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:16 am

Oh my god, I need a Katamari musical. NEED. I can barely stand that it doesn't exist, and now I'm going to have to live with this unfulfilled idea for the rest of my life(?).

Thanks maru. :lol:

Seriously though, can you just imagine the opening Katamari on the Rocks sequence?

NEED!

BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
marurun

by marurun Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:44 am

Key-Glyph wrote:Oh my god, I need a Katamari musical. NEED. I can barely stand that it doesn't exist, and now I'm going to have to live with this unfulfilled idea for the rest of my life(?).

Thanks maru. :lol:

Seriously though, can you just imagine the opening Katamari on the Rocks sequence?

NEED!

Right? I mean, the musical numbers just about write themselves.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Games As Culture