How many of the PwnRank 100 have you beaten?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: How many of the PwnRank 100 have you beaten?

Post by Ack »

I love it when a list brings us all together to complain as a forum about said list.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Final Fantasy VI rated lower than VII.

I hear you! The list is compiled out of dozens of different sources, so yeah, this is pretty much mainstream taste. But if the list only had good games, then we'd all have 100/100, and that's not the point of my question. I wanted to know how many of us bother to play through mediocre games just to have done so.
Lol, perhaps I'm just seeking catharsis after enduring TLoU / ACII / RDD / Halo / Uncharted 4 / Witcher 3 :cry:
Ack

Post by Ack »

I looked over everything. It's not these guys that have an issue, as their methodology is actually based on compiling from various best of lists around the Internet and released over a period of almost a decade. You can even go and see the sources, the list in question, and what year it was used as a resource, so I will give them credit for showing their work.

It does lead to some issues though, such as the Orange Box being listed on the 500 Games List. All of the games in the Orange Box already appear on the list, but because they are pulling from other lists that have the Orange Box included, it gets added.

Second, their sources range from Famitsu to IGN to IMDB to a few established YouTube channels to GameFAQs, Metacritic, and so on. That's where the real problem lies, because those lists are generally populated by a younger crowd that is going to experience recency bias. We're just seeing it en masse as it's presented by these guys based on their complication work.

In short, kids are dumb, they make dumb lists, and those dumb lists then end up being compiled by people in the Internet like they're some kind of gospel, because there are a LOT of dumb people out there. And also, folks play what is marketed and hyped to them, which is usually hyped by people that are also being marketed and hyped to or just flat out paid to say something is great.

But hey, I'm a guy who has only beaten around 150 of the 500 and then looked at many of the other entries and realized how little I cared about many of these games.
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Ack wrote:
In short, kids are dumb, they make dumb lists, and those dumb lists then end up being compiled by people in the Internet like they're some kind of gospel, because there are a LOT of dumb people out there. And also, folks play what is marketed and hyped to them, which is usually hyped by people that are also being marketed and hyped to or just flat out paid to say something is great.

Perhaps the Edge top 100 is more up your alley, compiled by their (mature?) readers, journalists, and game developers.
https://www.videogamecanon.com/adventurelog/edge-2023/
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

It's kind of interesting to see some of the different list perspectives.

I like Game Center CX, so I was curious what list it would attract. Puyo Puyo is at 38. I would be very surprised if it made any western list.

The Game Center CX List

EDIT: Corrected link.
Last edited by Limewater on Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
marurun

Post by marurun »

Limewater wrote:It's kind of interesting to see some of the different list perspectives.

I like Game Center CX, so I was curious what list it would attract. Puyo Puyo is at 38. I would be very surprised if it made any western list.

The Game Center CX List

I'm surprised it's not Puyo Puyo 2. That game was better in every way and is generally the best of the series. Also, the link you provided is for an article on Halo 2, not Game Center CX.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

marurun wrote:I'm surprised it's not Puyo Puyo 2. That game was better in every way and is generally the best of the series. Also, the link you provided is for an article on Halo 2, not Game Center CX.

I don't have much opinion on the Puyo Puyo games. I tried Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, but I found it to not be very colorblind-accessible. I can certainly believe that the sequel is better.

And thanks for the heads-up on the link. I had scrolled down to the bottom of the list before posting, so Kotaku "helpfully" updated the URL in my address bar. I fixed it.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Limewater wrote:It's kind of interesting to see some of the different list perspectives.

The Game Center CX List

EDIT: Corrected link.

Interesting! Probably even closer to the video game equivalent of the IMDB top 100.
Ack

Post by Ack »

RobertAugustdeMeijer wrote:
Ack wrote:

Perhaps the Edge top 100 is more up your alley, compiled by their (mature?) readers, journalists, and game developers.
https://www.videogamecanon.com/adventurelog/edge-2023/

The Edge one has some limitations as well, but I appreciate they called them out at the beginning. It could only include games that released during Edge's publication and in their home region. That's a solid way to approach the topic.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Great list. I’ve got 43 on that one, but it includes a lot of games I’d like to beat. (If only time were a limitless resource!)