How to spot repros?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
VG_Addict
16-bit

How to spot repros?

Post by VG_Addict »

Ever since I bought a copy of Mega Man 7 on Ebay that turned out to be a repro, I've been careful about trying to spot repro carts.

Do you have any tips on how to tell repros from authentic carts?
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: How to spot repros.

Post by emwearz »

It is mostly about education about what you are wanting to buy. Maybe we could create a pinned topic with the post being edited to include tips? Check their feedback, any negative feedback? Run. I might try to update this post as I go and get spare time.

If you are looking to buy something online and you are not sure about it, mate, post it here and ask (DM me if you want).

SNES
    Is it too good to be true = Fake
    Is their an imprinted number on the back label (If you cant see it, ask to see it)
    Was the game released in that region (Chrono Trigger in PAL cart = Fake)
    The label looks too glossy / low quality
    The colour and texture of the plastic (can be hard to tell online)
    Is it shipping out of China
    If it is an expensive or rare game, don't remotely hesitate to ask to see the board. If they can't / won't show you, don't buy from them.
    ESRB ratings on US region games, the ESRP came in during the life of the SNES (94), check reference images. Was there a label revision, should the rating be there?

Gameboy Advance
    Is it too good to be true = Fake
    Check that there is a tri-wing screw in the back
    Check the Nintendo writing on the back
    Check the front right of the label to see a dented numbers (factory stamp)
    Check the region
    the label print quality and alignment (see white edges of the label, probably a fake)
Last edited by emwearz on Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I am incredibly wary about buying GBA games online anymore. The quality of GBA repros is just too high. (Even in person, one thing I always look for is the word “Nintendo” on the board by the pins. You can spot that without taking the cart apart, and it’s hard - but not impossible! - to fake.)

Honestly, I don’t buy cart only games unless they have at least some signs of wear. No one makes a repro only to scuff or sun fade the label a bit!
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I am incredibly wary about buying GBA games online anymore. The quality of GBA repros is just too high. (Even in person, one thing I always look for is the word “Nintendo” on the board by the pins. You can spot that without taking the cart apart, and it’s hard - but not impossible! - to fake.)

Honestly, I don’t buy cart only games unless they have at least some signs of wear. No one makes a repro only to scuff or sun fade the label a bit!

The look for Nintendo print on the PCB use to ring true, but newer counterfeits have the Nintendo print, often the font is off, but it is hard to tell without taking them apart and comparing.

Yeah, signs of wear is a good one. Yellowing plastic is good to haha
Last edited by emwearz on Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Also for the sake of using 'correct' terms.

A 'Repro' or 'Reproduction' is not inherently bad, they are reproduction of carts that do not attempt to deceive anyone. I think the term 'Bootleg' or 'Counterfeit' is better suited for situations where deception is implied. They are trying to pass the it off as an original in a dodgy way. The seller may not know they are selling a bootleg, but it was created to deceive.

Heaps of collectors have Repro carts in their collections.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Buy CIB and make sure EVERYTHING is included (not just the instruction manual). I don't do loose carts...EVER.

Stay away from stuff from China selling for cheap prices

Buy from people who include LOTS of pictures from every angle. For one thing, it shows that they actually give a damn. I hate lazy sellers.

When possible, buy from people who make an effort to prove what they are selling is legit. Some people go out of their way to show y-folds on shrink wrapped games, serial numbers for things like unpatched Switches or dual IPS screen New Nintendo 3ds systems, or Nintendo imprints on GBA carts.

You get what you pay for, people who know what they are selling is legit will often not sell it at a cheap price. It's like when you look for masterpiece Transformers figures. If they are selling it cheap, it's probably a knockoff.

Don't just look at a feedback score, READ the feedback they've gotten. Look for any negative feedback they've gotten and read it.

When you find a trustworthy seller, save them and buy from them again. Even better if you've had some communication with them, that establishes some trust.

It's a pain in the butt, but I research EVERYTHING I buy. I learn the serial numbers, the label art on the cart, the numbers including region on the front of the cart, revisions, etc, etc, etc. You have to really KNOW the thing that you're buying. Sometimes I'll even compare multiple listings of a specific game in order to spot anything out of the ordinary. I am obsessive and paranoid, but that means that I typically get what I want. There are also videos and articles on spotting repros too for GBA, NES. etc, etc.

I like to buy whenever possible, from other serious collectors. They tend to have stuff that you know is legit. Look for someone who is selling off a collection for example

emwearz wrote:Also for the sake of using 'correct' terms.

A 'Repro' or 'Reproduction' is not inherently bad, they are reproduction of carts that do not attempt to deceive anyone. I think the term 'Bootleg' or 'Counterfeit' is better suited for situations where deception is implied. They are trying to pass the it off as an original in a dodgy way. The seller may not know they are selling a bootleg, but it was created to deceive.

Heaps of collectors have Repro carts in their collections.

I hate repros. It's just muddies the waters. People make those damn things, then they end up in circulation, and people can end up with them without even knowing. I'd rather people just keep that fake shit out of circulation.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I agree 100 percent, i never understood not just getting a flash cart if you wanted to play on original hardware. But differant people like differsnt things, not gonna gatekeep on people wanting aftermarket things, not my thing though.

I usually think of Repro's as being high quality and not deceptive. I have seem them say reproduction on carts, etc before. Maybe just me though.
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

I posted pics of my copy of Link to the Past a few years back.

I also read a site on how to tell if a SNES cartridge is authentic, and my copy of Link to the Past passes every one other than the back label and the board (I refuse to open up the cartridge). It has the product number code where the pin connector is, the game title on the label is clear, and the dot for the "i" in the Nintendo logo on the back is a square instead of a circle. And let's be real, it'd be hard to fake that kind of wear.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

The pictures are hard to see due to the low res, but it looks like it is missing that 4 ovals logo on the right hand side of the label? For me personally, if an online seller has a back of a cart like that, I would ask to see the board or I would not buy it.

Curious as to why you 'refuse to open' the cart? How do you know it is a 'repro', what was the giveaway?
VG_Addict
16-bit

Post by VG_Addict »

emwearz wrote:The pictures are hard to see due to the low res, but it looks like it is missing that 4 ovals logo on the right hand side of the label? For me personally, if an online seller has a back of a cart like that, I would ask to see the board or I would not buy it.

Curious as to why you 'refuse to open' the cart? How do you know it is a 'repro', what was the giveaway?

I might mess something up if I open it up.

It has the 4 ovals logo on the right hand side of the label, it's just faint.

And I suspect it might be a repro because it's missing the back sticker.