Kid beats Tetris, gets mocked by reporter

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Kid beats Tetris, gets mocked by reporter

Post by Raging Justice »

I really hoped we'd be pass this sort of thing by now. It's 2024

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... etris.html

If this was my kid I'd be proud. He accomplished something. As far as I know this has never been done before.
Ziggy

Re: Kid beats Tetris, gets mocked by reporter

Post by Ziggy »

I didn’t read any articles or watch any videos, but I got the jist of the story from thumbnails. Someone got to the kill screen in Tetris. I didn’t even know there was a kill screen. That’s awesome that a world record for Tetris was even still possible this many years after the game came out. And it’s even more awesome that a youngster accomplished this. Not just the feat of getting a world record at such a young age. But I think everyone on this forum is happy to know that there are youngsters out there not only playing the NES, but enjoying it so much that they can get a world record at something. That is just awesome.

As for the reporter that made the “go outside” comment, she seems to be getting slammed enough for making an ignorant comment.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I was watching a video of how that kid and other tetris competitors are holding the controller for this, manipulating an extra input command, and I still don't get it lol.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Ziggy587 wrote:I didn’t read any articles or watch any videos, but I got the jist of the story from thumbnails. Someone got to the kill screen in Tetris. I didn’t even know there was a kill screen. That’s awesome that a world record for Tetris was even still possible this many years after the game came out. And it’s even more awesome that a youngster accomplished this. Not just the feat of getting a world record at such a young age. But I think everyone on this forum is happy to know that there are youngsters out there not only playing the NES, but enjoying it so much that they can get a world record at something. That is just awesome.

As for the reporter that made the “go outside” comment, she seems to be getting slammed enough for making an ignorant comment.

She didn't just stop there. She said that beating Tetris is not a life goal and implied that if she was his mom she would be concerned about him. She couldn't hide her disdain for this kid.

He's 13. He's allowed to have fun playing video games, and if she thinks getting media attention and possibly setting a world record isn't impressive enough to be a life goal then she has a warped view of reality.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Raging Justice wrote:
She didn't just stop there. She said that beating Tetris is not a life goal and implied that if she was his mom she would be concerned about him. She couldn't hide her disdain for this kid.

He's 13. He's allowed to have fun playing video games, and if she thinks getting media attention and possibly setting a world record isn't impressive enough to be a life goal then she has a warped view of reality.

I saw the video. I thought she was making the standard, trite joke about parents being concerned about kids playing video games. It was dumb, but it's what I expect from a TV presenter.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii