Games Acquired 2024

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Games Acquired 2024

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Howdy folks, and welcome to the Games Acquired 2024 thread where we share our latest gaming acquisitions! As the resident recovering bad-financial-decision-maker of the forums, I figured it was appropriate that I start the thread this year as I did the few last years. Feel free to share as little or as much as you want in any format you want (within reason). Below are links to previous years' threads if you need an example.

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Markies
Next-Gen

Re: Games Acquired 2024

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Acquired List Of 2024!

1. Child Of Eden (PS3)

I added Child of Eden for the Sony Playstation 3.

I have started a yearly tradition where every New Year's Day, I will randomly pull a game to purchase, a game to beat and then a game to replay to Completion. The game I pulled to purchase was Child of Eden for the PS3. I loved Rez back on the PS2 and seeing as this is a spirtual successor, I am very excited to give it a shot. Also, it is only a few hours long and was about $8, so I can't go wrong with that at all.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Was perusing some of my recently acquired Switch games today and made a cool discovery, Sonic Superstars has a reversible cover! Here's the bland one you'll see when you first get the game:

Here's what you get when you reverse it:

REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

How good is Sonic Superstars? I might snag it for Switch when it goes on sale, but I'm not paying more than 50% of the MSRP.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

REPO Man wrote:How good is Sonic Superstars? I might snag it for Switch when it goes on sale, but I'm not paying more than 50% of the MSRP.

Keep in mind I haven't finished it yet, but from what I've played so far I'd call it...

Decent. It does a good job of feeling like a 16--bit era Sonic game, but it probably won't knock your socks off like Sonia Mania, but it's the next best thing. It's better than Sonic 4. I think it's worth picking up if you find it for a good price.

It controls really well, better than the 2d stages of some of the bigger titles like Generations, Forces, or Frontiers. The bosses I've fought so far I've enjoyed. Speaking of bosses, the mini boss theme is really catchy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guQgXoxEWPI).

The rotating room special stages from Sonic 1 are back but with some minor added twists. They don't get you chaos emeralds though, they just help you unlock stuff. There's a weird new bonus stage for collecting chaos emeralds. I wouldn't call this new bonus stage great and I wouldn't call it bad, it's just sort of there. Whenever you collect a chaos emerald you get a new ability that you can use, so that's a new thing. You can activate it one time and then have to wait until you get a checkpoint before you can use it again.

I'm playing the cartridge version, which is missing a patch, so it's a bit rough around the edges (you might experience an occasional bug or two). Overall it's fine though

The game goes pretty hard on nostalgia, there are musical cues that remind me of Sonic 1. The title screen is like Sonic 1. It largely plays like a 16-bit era Sonic game. You can play as other characters besides Sonic, I haven't really done so yet though. I'm hoping they have their classic abilities like Knuckles climbing walls, Tails flying, etc.

The one that I really want to see come to consoles though is Sonic Dream Team, which has been getting great reviews on Apple Arcade. Though Dream Team seems more in line with Dreamcast era 3d Sonic games though, not classic 2d.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Well if it was more like Sonic Mania I'd probably be WAY more keen on getting it, especially if it's got the classic pixel art. I find the graphics for 3D Sonic games to oftentimes be so drab while if you showed me the same art done in the same style as Sonic 3K or Mania and I'd like it more. Plus given what I've heard Sonic Superstars is adequate at best. But if that's the bar, then I'll definitely wait until it's heavily discounted.
marurun

Post by marurun »

"I would like to ask you fellow kids about something I have already made my mind up about. I'm not really looking for information, but merely support for my foregone conclusion.
I see you have decided to provide me with information. Let me confirm that I am indeed only looking for views that support the decision I have already committed to emotionally and not data which might dissuade me from my current views."
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

One more thing I'll say about Superstars, the levels are long and kind of meandering. Like it reminds me more of the levels of Sonic CD than it does Sonic 1-3&K. There's lots of different directions to go rather than the somewhat more linear and focused designs 0f 1-3&K. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing is subjective. I like Superstars, but I would agree that it's not a top tier Sonic game worth paying a lot for, but you could do a lot worse if you got it for like 20 bucks or something.

Anyway, got of copy of Castle Crashers for the Switch for a...relatively low price. Lower than some of the insane prices I've seen it go for anyway, but still not quite cheap. Happy to have it though, it's a great beat'em up. I think this is the only physical release it got and it got a low print run. Most Switch games are fairly affordable but there are a few "big game hunter" items as I like to call them LOL, and this seems to be one of them.

I'd have never even known about the existence of The Behemoth or Newgrounds were it not for this little classic. Has one of the best beat 'em up soundtracks I've ever heard
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I've personally known about Newgrounds for YEARS before Castle Crashers. Hell, years before Alien Hominid.

But seriously, Castle Crashers SLAPS!
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

Raging Justice wrote:One more thing I'll say about Superstars, the levels are long and kind of meandering. Like it reminds me more of the levels of Sonic CD than it does Sonic 1-3&K. There's lots of different directions to go rather than the somewhat more linear and focused designs 0f 1-3&K. Whether that is a good thing or bad thing is subjective. I like Superstars, but I would agree that it's not a top tier Sonic game worth paying a lot for, but you could do a lot worse if you got it for like 20 bucks or something.

Anyway, got of copy of Castle Crashers for the Switch for a...relatively low price. Lower than some of the insane prices I've seen it go for anyway, but still not quite cheap. Happy to have it though, it's a great beat'em up. I think this is the only physical release it got and it got a low print run. Most Switch games are fairly affordable but there are a few "big game hunter" items as I like to call them LOL, and this seems to be one of them.

I'd have never even known about the existence of The Behemoth or Newgrounds were it not for this little classic. Has one of the best beat 'em up soundtracks I've ever heard

...I grabbed Sonic Superstars right before Christmas and I'm looking forward to trying out the 4-player mode and the chaos I suspect will ensue. Castle Crashers is so much fun, when I found out about the physical copy being released I had to jump on it. This is actually my 3rd copy of the game, I picked up back on the 360 and getting gifted the upgrade was very cool too. Castle Crashers is another game I'm geeked to really let my family get into. Both of those are really nice pickups.