Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Limewater
Next-Gen

Re: Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Post by Limewater »

Ziggy587 wrote:The PS2 and Wii have a very cartoonish look to them. The gameplay is similar to the other version but the levels are different afaik. I had the Wii version back when it released. It has mandatory motion controls which I got sick of in no time. If you wanted to experience this version, I would recommend the PS2 over Wii.

Huh. From the videos I watched years ago about the game, I was under the impression that it was sort of like a slow rail shooter, which would lend itself well to the motion controls. Sounds like I was wrong.

Tangent: I really enjoyed Okami on PS2. A big mechanic in that game is drawing symbols on the screen. While I'm sure that aspect of the game would lend itself well to the wiimote, I'm pretty glad I was able to just use thumb sticks.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Ack

Post by Ack »

I'd argue against the PS2 version, but I believe I have a defective disc. It perpetually freezes during cutscenes, which renders the game unplayable. This is unfortunate, as I enjoyed what little of the first level I could experience.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Limewater wrote:Huh. From the videos I watched years ago about the game, I was under the impression that it was sort of like a slow rail shooter, which would lend itself well to the motion controls. Sounds like I was wrong.

Yeah, it's definitely not a rail shooter. It plays mostly like a 3rd person shooter.

Ack wrote:I'd argue against the PS2 version, but I believe I have a defective disc. It perpetually freezes during cutscenes, which renders the game unplayable. This is unfortunate, as I enjoyed what little of the first level I could experience.

That sucks. Maybe it's a defective disc, but you could also try cleaning the lens. I picked up the PS2 version a few years ago but haven't got around to playing it yet.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I played through the PS2 version back in 2018. It is more akin to a 3rd Person Shooter than any other type of game.

It was okay, but not something to get angry or happy about. The story is actually kind of disappointing. It retreads many old grounds and rehashes the old movies. It's not exactly a whole new experience, but its being able to play with the Ghostbusters during the movies and shooting down the Marshmallow man. Winston probably did the best job with Ray and Egon doing a good job considering they helped in making the game. Peter/Billy Murray just doesn't care. He sounds like he just got out of bed and couldn't care at all about the project.

Also, the combat gets really old after a while and it doesn't hold up when their many ghosts on screen. And I did have some experiences of the game just crashing and not working anymore.

It was about an 8 hour game that felt like it should have been shorter. Kind of amazed that it got a remaster cause if it wasn't a Ghostbusters game, it would been a nothing game. Even as a Ghostbusters game, its barely a blip on the radar.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Markies wrote: Peter/Billy Murray just doesn't care. He sounds like he just got out of bed and couldn't care at all about the project.

:lol: This is accurate. But I forced myself to overlook it, since that's just kind of how Bill Murray is. And that attitude leaked into the character in the movies anyway. But yeah, it totally sounds like Murray had a severe lack of enthusiasm while recording his parts.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

jamesalan wrote:It seems you had a disappointing experience with "Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered" on PS4, particularly with its gameplay mechanics. I can understand your frustration, especially when comparing it to your memories of the Xbox 360 version. Your observation that the game focuses more on cinematic aspects than gameplay depth is an interesting point. It highlights how different gamers value different elements in a game, and what might appeal to some might not resonate with others. Your critique offers a valuable perspective for those who prioritize gameplay mechanics over other aspects of a game.

Fourteen years, almost to the day!

I hope you can stick around to enhance knowledge and grab new thing!

Merry Christmas!
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii